Sign in to follow this  
jebirds

Scam..............poor ringnecks

There is an awful scam going on though out England at the moment.

Adverts are going in "local free adds" offering a baby Alexandrine for appox £175 the person explains that it belongs to his father who is in a nursing home and can not keep it, the bird can only be delivered as no one is allowed in the nursing home :!:

When the bird arrives it is a wild caught (from a London park) ringneck with its tail cut off to make it look like a baby :!: :!:

So far more than a dozen of these poor birds have been handed in.

The birds are scared to death and the people(some already own parrots :? ) who have brought them are very upset to find they have a wild bird and some still think it is a baby Alexandrine.

If you see an add in your local paper Please inform the paper of this scam.

This is a sick cruel thing to do to these poor birds the people doing it are less than the muck on my shoes. :evil:

Oh poor birds. I wonder if these are from I think its Richmond Park in London, there is a massive colony there. It was on tv the other day that there is talk of them being culled :(

Poor things dont seem to stand a chance, they never asked to be released and breed on our shores.

Yes :lol:

These are the same people who will brake into Aviaries even homes to get birds to sell, with no thought to the suffering to the birds or their owners.

Everyone needs to be sure they are protected against these people.

Me I have infra red video cameras all around and best of all my "man hating" Staffie and collie both who roam around the aviaries and house all night and of cause me as I don't go to sleep until 3 or 4 o'clock and sometimes don't bother.

Well you and i sound alike there June, i have the Staffy and my whippet cross who will let you know if anyone is about, not got the infra red but not got a lot of birds like you have. I am also around till about 3ish lol

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Is there no end to the cruel plans human (?????) kind will come up with, in order to make a fast buck. :?: :?: :?:

I just feel despair.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Is there no end to the cruel plans human (?????) kind will come up with, in order to make a fast buck. :?: :?: :?:

I just feel despair.

If we all stopped and thought before we did anything - how would we feel if that was done to us...............then we mignt have a very lovely world....................

anyone see that flying pig? :shock:

Has anyone got a spare aviary where these birds can go :?:

It is against the law to now return them to the wild and of cause a lot have tails missing and other injuries. :cry:

Most are around the London area but some down south.

Transport can be arranged if needed.

These are not pet birds.

someone in london very near the park in question would be best tpo take them, then what a shame if they all escaped back to where they came from once there tails had grew back

Guest gothbob

If there is anything i can do to help pleae give me a shout as i live close to the bexley wild ones (i watched them at lunch at uni too), i will keep an eye out in the local paper for any sounding similar.

Im in the london area not far from the park it's self if, can offer any assistance or help if required.

I have heard alot about people actualy going down there catching the birds and selling them off as the scam above mentions.

The worst way i heard so far is how they catch the poor birds, apparently some use fishing lines or other strings attached to a bait. Which the feed the birds with, and as soon as they've swolen it cannot regurgitate it back up so there traped. All they do then is pull it in and do what they want to do to them.

The other thing is apparently the park keeper would let you go in and catch them if you want even after closing hours if you waffle a few notes under thier nose.

Thank you all for your offers of help.

Got to pick up a Triton in the morning but I will be in touch with you ASAP.

I dont have very nice thoughts about people who do this to birds :evil:

If only one of my wishes came true none of them would be having a very nice Xmas.............or 2008 come to it :twisted: :twisted:

Only last week someone phoned me to ask about my advice about caring for a very nervous "Alexandrine" baby which had been sold to them on the pretence of it's owner going into a home.

This story told to me sounds identical to the SCAM highlighted on here. :(

Homes have been found for the birds in at the moment, but I would be gratful if I could come to those offering help in the future.

Thank you for this.

We almost fell for this scam. It was advertised exactly as you said. I found it very peculiar that the seller would not identify where the bird was, "Just local to you". We could not visit the bird and the "owner".

Thankfully I decided to research and found this link.

He gave a local number (which was attached to a fax - very convenient).

If anyone wants to bother him he says his name is Stuart.

Can anyone tell me of a reputable source for a parakeet and what I really should anticipate paying?

Thanks again

Posted Image to the Parroty Place, Radar. Loads to share, learn and enjoy Posted Image

Posted Image

You'll notice many of us have a photobucket link under our posts - Below is an easy how-to on setting pics and/or vids up to share with us all:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/index.php?topic=26851.0

Here's our section of Information Topics©:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/

Also a variety of topics you may like to wander through:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/6216-welcome-info-pack%c2%a9/

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am so pleased to hear that you foiled some bad guys trying to sell one of these poor birds .... well done you. If more people catch on to this scam we can hope that it won't become worthwhile for these cruel people to trap the birds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Can anyone tell me of a reputable source for a parakeet and what I really should anticipate paying?

Can I suggest you place another thread in Contact/Info/Help Wanted asking for more info on Parakeets as your question may not be spotted here?

Would love to help, have aviary, but I think West Coast of Scotland is outwith the area, just a tad

Wonder if they could live here in my woods?? How sad after learning to live in our space they now have to succumd to captivity, will mankind ever have any respect for other species??

o.k not really!!!

hi, another breeder asked me that too whe i told him what had happened.

i had never heard of it before,but it didnt appear to have had its tail cut off although i dont know alot about them but its tail seemed long,also it had a ring on its foot.

i didnt read it coz i couldnt get close enought to it,and i was afraid of scaring it even more so i just spoke to him from a distance which he seemed more comfortale with.

there was a squeaking of a swing on tv the one day and the bird squarked at the tv everytime it squeaked,is this normal?

oh my god!!!!! radar,yes,thats what happened to me, the landline was a fax number so i could only ring the mobile number

the people who delivered them was in a red van,he parked in next street but i didnt have the cash so i told them to follow me to the bank,it was a small type box van,not a trancit,and it was a skinhead driving and a youngish chap who came in,he had a geordie accent or somewhere similar