Sign in to follow this  
Twiggy

One Person Parrot

We have a baby hand reared african grey who is ony 6 months old. She has lived with us for about 2 months. When she first moved in she was fine with both hubby and me, but over the last few weeks has turned against hubby, until today when she bit him really hard, yet she sometimes let him stroke her head. Unfortunately, she only wants me, and we wanted a family parrot not just a single person bird. Is there anything we can do???? We have tried most of the recommendations on this site, but it doesn't seem to help. Will me having limited contact with her help?? Any advice would be much appreciated.

We really don't want to part company with her as she is just starting to talk, and can be really affectionate.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Twiggy.

Posted Image

Hello and welcome to the forum Twiggy.

Apologies if you have already seen this but it may be well worth a read:

THE MYTH OF THE ONE PERSON PARROT:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/2287-the-myth-of-the-one-person-parrot%c2%a9/

Luckily I have no first hand experience of this - but I'm sure others will soon be along with more advice.

Posted Image to the Parroty Place, Twiggy. Loads to share, learn and enjoy Posted Image

Posted Image

You'll notice many of us have a photobucket link under our posts - Below is an easy how-to on setting pics and/or vids up to share with us all:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/index.php?topic=26851.0

Here's our section of Information Topics©:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/

Also a variety of topics you may like to wander through:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/6216-welcome-info-pack%c2%a9/

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

The only thing I can say without sounding too harsh is that birds dont always fit in with what we want I'm afraid.

If he truely HAS picked you then there is not much that can be done. When you say you have tried most of the recommendations, how long have you tried it for? You've only had him 2 months, that's no time at all in a parrots life. What they are like now can be nothing like what they are going to be years down the line. They go through phases, like children, and this may just be a passing thing for your bird. I urge you not to give up just yet, like I say it's early days. Changes take months sometimes years to happen.

Can you think of anything that has happened, however small, with your husband that could have caused this? They dont usually start biting hard without a reason, and with a grey, that reason could be something as stupid as a haircut, or different top, glasses, change of cage position, a fall, or even a harsh word.

It's only been over the last few weeks that he has started biting, so my guessing is that he has settled in, the honeymoon period is over and you need to start laying down some ground rules. If you cant find a reason as above when he is biting, then try this :

When he bites, DONT return him to his cage, but get your husband to put him somewhere, dont shout, dont make a reaction NOTHING, just put him down and turn his back on him, and dont speak to him. Give him a few minutes, then try to pick him up. If he bites again, do the same thing. Usually after a fewtimes of this and being ignored, they will get the message, but it can take a little longer, depending on the stubberness of the bird!

Let us know how you get on!

Mandy x

You echoed my thoughts there Mandy, we got Charlie as an adult bird and he/she has chosen my son as his special person, that does not make me love him any less. Yes he bites me and he did bite my other son too but he is slowing coming around to him, he has not bitten me now for a couple of weeks so maybe he is realising that i am not going anywhere so has given up.

Please dont give up on this baby, he is too young to start on the new owner merry-go-round.

ps. hello and welcome to the forum

Guest linds

sorry but I agree with Mandy, that is no time at all with a parrot. I havehad 1 person parrot issues with my ruby since the day I got her and she is almost 3. Sometimes you just have to live with it and respect what each other want. I do and now when Ruby wants to sit with mr she will and we'll have a great time but she's always a daddys girl and always will be. I respect that due to the fact we respect each other and know our limits. she's my girl and i love her no matter what, even if she "thinks" she loves her dad more than me lol.

I agree, Your little Cag may be testing your partner ... perserverance is the key.. try and get him to do most of the feeding, cleaning etc... This may make your grey realise that your partner is a necessity in the day to day running of things...

I have a grey too and unfortunately they are renouned for being one person birds - i got Jimmy at 4 years old and he used to attack me when i first got him - it took 6 months for him to start to love me - 4 months to talk to me!

Keep trying and don't give up! It's always worth it in the end!

Thanks again.

Hubby does all of the feeding and cleaning as he is at home all day. I work full time, that is what we find strange, we thought she would prefer hubby if anyone, as I am not there all day. He evens lets her out during the day and that is when she bits him, but when we let her out in the evening she is all over me and hubby cannot get near her.

We really want her to like both of us.

Cheers

We got our male ekkie when he was 3 1/2, this was back in january. He hated my hubby and would lunge and growl, now he adores him and bites me :-( I feed him and give him treats, i'm home all day with him but he would still sooner bite me than be with me. I've accepted he may never be affectionate and i know it can be a bit disheartening (i know just how your hubby feels) but you love them regardless. At the end of the day you can't guarantee any bird is going to like the whole family. Good luck with her and i really hope it all works out :-)

Guest Jane Doe

She will probabaly take to your hubbie soon enough then, just got to wait for the hormones to kick in. If she was handreared by a woman that could be why she prefers women at the moment.