Sign in to follow this  
Harry's Mummy

Hope this isnt the start of plucking?

I have just given Harry his nightly cuddle and I have noticed on his leg just above his ring it looks like some feathers are missing, now I know I am totally paranoid about this, but the signs Harry gives me is that he is a very contented CAG.

The only change I made recently was a Pureair thingy which Harry didnt like at all, and so that was removed from the room, cant really think of anything else, but there again is it just me being paranoid about plucking or could it be something to do with his ring?

Im probably barking up the wrong tree here but worth saying,if nothing else it will cut a possible reason from the equasion.In the past i had a similar problem.I couldnt for the life of me work out what the problem was.The way our birdies eat(holding with there foot)most of the time,fragments of the stickier foods can sometime get stuck and build up on the inside of the ring especially after years and years.When i checked the inside of our greys ring it was quite yucky to be honest....i ran a blunted cocktail stick around the inside that was dipped in f10 and hey presto the problem was gone.....alot of the time the slightest irritation can have a snowball effect......................take a peek atleast

Charlie seems to 'nibble' at the feathers at the top of his feet/bottom of his legs, i have never seen him pull any out though but he doesnt have a ring on. Maybe the ring has irritated him or maybe the ring has caught a few feathers and pulled them.

I would not worry too much just keen an eye on him hun

Cause you can Yvonne its one of these

Posted Image

A unique air purifying system uses water and the natural anti-bacterial qualities of essential oils to, literally, wash the air and make it clean, fresh and bacteria free.

Vikky - I will take a look at his ring, and see if there is any goo in it

Sue - I did wonder if it was the ring irritating him, and have considered having it removed as you cant read the info on it anway

Guest ytagguk

never seen one of them before, what was it that harry didn't like, is it noisy

i have an air purifier but it makes a racket so i put mine away.

i don't know an awful lot about plucking, but harry came to us well plucked lol and Ollie plucked his leg feathers once when i changed his cage, which did alarm me at the time, but he only did it the once.

Ollie shredded all his chest feathers this year for no reason, and i know my birds are not bored, or ill, after doing some research, and talking to people who have had lots of parrots, it may be that Ollie is a holly LOL

so i will have to wait and see.

he/she is fine now, but it can be a worry,

Yvonne xx

Sue - I did wonder if it was the ring irritating him, and have considered having it removed as you cant read the info on it anway

Merlin did exactly the same, started off with a bald patch just above his ring. He had always chewed at the ring from time to time, which gradually turned into an obsession when everytime he had nothing to do, it went in his beak, especially when he was dozing on one leg, and we are convinced that the bald patch was simply a by-product of that chewing. Then the more he did it the more adjacent feathers got caught and chewed at the same time, which is why we though he had started plucking his chest - chewing his ring with his leg held up, so he caught a patch of side chest feathers.

That is what started our thread which ended up with the chance discovery of the Psittacosis! However, the vet cut the ring off in the end and he hasn't bothered since, although we did see him absent mindedly put his beak to his leg and then stop, a couple of times just after. Which i guess does show it had become a habit at least as much as a real irritation.

Vikkys suggestion about a gunge build up is interesting, didn't think of that but given the sticky nature of pomegranite juice, It's more than likely, I sghoudl think.