Sign in to follow this  
Flower

Hello...

Just thinking about opening our home to a pre-loved black-headed caique, hoping to gets lots of advice, hear about your experiences and learn as much as I can so I can make sure I am suitable and am making the right decisions for the right reasons.

Hope you all can help. :)

Guest choccyb

Welcome. I have a YT Caique hand tame called Rocky and a pair of BH Caiques Merry and Pippin. They are unlike any parrot I have met, clowns and so funny to watch their antics, they keep you amused for hours and Rocy is so loving in the evening he just wants to be with someone having his head tickled and scratched. xxx

Posted Image to the Parroty Place, Flower. Loads to share, learn and enjoy Posted Image

Posted Image

You'll notice many of us have a photobucket link under our posts - Below is an easy how-to on setting pics and/or vids up to share with us all:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/index.php?topic=26851.0

Here's our section of Information Topics©:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/

Also a variety of topics you may like to wander through:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/6216-welcome-info-pack%c2%a9/

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

:D Hi Vikky, ChoccyB and Princetaz, thanks for your greetings. Well a friend put me in touch with someone who wishes to re-home their Caique and asked me if I was interested as she paid me a compliment on how I love and look after my pets. I have two dogs Loki & Odin, two chinchillas Cheech & Chong and one lizard a bearded dragon, Ozzy. Oh and two men, my son and my other half!

So I guess question number one is... are Caiques really the fearless, clownlike parrot I read or would sharing a house with two dogs (who bark quite loudly when the door knocks) gonna scare him? The current owner thinks this is unlikely as he already shares a house with a dog and a cat?

On the house front my living room has quite a lot of wood furniture... is this likely to get destoryed.. again the current owner says this is unlikely if properly supervised as he does understand "no"?

What is considered enough stimulated play / freedom, obviously I need to consider limiting this initially until the dogs are happy being out of the room and then we will gradually introduce them until we are confident everything is settled.

Thanks in advance for all your honest advice.

Caiques are generally very robust parrots who will happily amuse themselves with whatever they can find. Like most parrots they can (and most likely will) chew anything they can get hold of, including furnishings and fittings.

Agree with david and must add.........boy can they eat,because caiques are always on the go and extreamly energetic they, pound for pound out eat my greys no problem atall,and they love there berries so be prepared for the usual pebble dashing of walls and fixtures and fittings........they are known as the clown of the parrot world and if you choose to take him on you will see why,they pocess characteristics that no other parrot has,they are also what i would call chronic chewers so be prepared,they also have quite an ''interesting voice''some may think you have seagulls in your lounge lol.....quite loud but not all that persistant

lol david i was actaully considering entering pickles in the...strip a corn cob competition.....never seen anything like it,hmmmm perhaps hubby with a spare rib comes a close second

Right... ok... I am warned, I am told by the current owner that this caique is toilet trained?!... and 9 times out of 10 he returns to his perch/cage to "do his business"... are they that trainable?.. or could this be an exaggeration?.. Mmm can't afford to keep refurnishing.. I have to say chinchillas (I have two) are quite messy blighters... any of their food they don't want to eat tends to get launched out of the cage... you should see my hall in the morning... arrrhhhh, only takes a couple of minutes to clear up though.. love em.

I note that caiques are not particularly good flyers... so does this mean the plasma on the wall is likely to be safe?... this could be a problem if not.

They are poor flyers, well its not so much there poor they just seem poorly equipped to fly......sounds silly i know but its true,if you look at most birds wing spans compared with body size you can see the wing span is a hell of alot bigger than the body size,but with caiques its almost like there wings are from a different bird.......very small compared to there body size,the consequence of this is they have to flap like a humming bird to stay airbourn bless em.I watch my aviary caiques flying and the effort involved to fly a few meters is massive............but they are compitent enough and seem to know there limitations your tv will be fine as the usually tend to fly into them more when there switched off........if in doubt drape a blanket over it at out times

Thanks Vikky, I have throws on the sofas (because of the dogs) so thats cool.... I can drape covers over the other furniture I guess without too much problem.. how much does it cost a week to feed a single caique would you say?

Thats a difficult one for me to answer as in my opinion it is more difficult to feed a single bird than the amount i have.When you have several birds there is never any food thats wasted or gone over,i more usually run out of bits n bobs.I can buy say a bag of podded peas and they will all go but if you do that with just 1 bird you will be bining alot.Its not so much the quantities that cost you its the huge variety of things that tend to bump the price up.It will be trial and error until you find what works for you,how much to get of each thing and how long its lasting.You will also need a good quality seed mix,not one of these sunflower based mixes from the local petshop and they contain virtually no goodness what so ever.Also consider things like sprouting mixes,pulses ,calcium sups,feather up and the like.Most things you need that arnt food last ages so its more the initial outlay thats shocking lol,But its the little things that cost the most im affraid.......all this said caiques are exellent birds and for a first bird a great choice

I agree with you there Vikky buying fruit etc for a single bird is harder i would imagine than feeding in bulk as with a single bird a lot gets wasted. I have found now that if a put say an apple in a sealed bag in the fridge i can use it for a couple of days but most of the 'waste' goes in the juicer lol.

:oops: :oops: dont mean what the bird wastes but what is left over after i have chopped his lol

Welcome :D

And yes it is possible to toilet train a parrot - it's not an exaggeration. Be prepared for a few accidents though, as he will be in strange surroundings if he comes to live with you.

Guest choccyb

My Caique is also almost toilet trained and does a noiceable bum wiggle and steps backwards before going "toilet" so you can read the signs and return him to the cage for him to do his business. He is not a particular chewer as he is provided with plenty of toys etc to get his feet and beak into. He does like to chew pine perches tho the ones you get free with cages so I just tend to give him those for playtime as I dont mind him chewing them. He can get nippy when he has had enough of something but never bites with agression. He flies pretty good imo and follows me from room to room and also up the stairs. He has to be supervised at all times in case of wires etc or getting into something he shouldnt as you cant leave him somewhere and expect him to still be there when you come back into the room lol. He is very sweet and loving and so playful, he is an experience and i love him to bits. Can highly recommend caiques. xxxxx

Need to control my excitement... going to meet our potential new buddy tomorrow!...

So what things should I look out for...? All advice needed and welcomed. We are only meeting tomorrow and not actually taking home straight away.

Thanks Little Als Mum... the link you sent me is gonna be really helpful... I've just printed it out so I can study before we go tomorrow... Much appreciated.