Sign in to follow this  
student1

Boyf.. or Bird.....Boyf .....or Bird...??

Hi all, We are having an arguement in our house,

I recently aquired/rescued an Eclectus Parrot, he was in an appalling state, greasy feathers, overgrown claws and beak etc, so I took him on, to get him healthy again.

When I took him on I was only going to foster him, and then find him a parrot loving hime, preferably with a girlfriend.

He has since bonded with me, being very sweet, although he has been regurgitating food and trying to mate with me :shock:

The problem now being, he doesn't like my boyfriend, who equally doesn't like him :( ... and the longer Diesel is here, the more I think he's going to stay long term.. :lol:

Does anyone have any tips to improve "relations" between my two boys?? :roll:

Thanks!!

x

Thanks MMM, interesting read that, I think I may be guilty of "encouraging" Diesel to like me, but I am the one who preps his food and cleans him out, It's unlikely I'll be able to get Boyf to do these things, although I have been saving all the tasty treats for him to give the bird.

Is it the courting season? Is this randy behaviour likely to stop on it's own if we ignore it?

As you know i have an Ekkie too :D

He doesnt like my boyfriend either and my boyfriend doesnt like him. :roll:

When my boyfriend is round my house then Pharrell stays in his cage.

The funny thing is that although Pharrell doesnt like him he talks to him loads and mickey takes him, but if my boyfriend goes anywhere near his cage Pharrell goes ballistic. The one and only time i let him out when boyfriend was there Pharrell kept swooping and trying to dive bomb his head!!! My boyfriend reckons Pharrell is a disguised eagle and that his tallons tried to grab him :shock: lol lol lol

In my house the animals come first so if boyfriend doesnt like it he knows where to go!!! lol lol lol :wink:

but if my boyfriend goes anywhere near his cage Pharrell goes ballistic. The one and only time i let him out when boyfriend was there Pharrell kept swooping and trying to dive bomb his head!!! My boyfriend reckons Pharrell is a disguised eagle and that his tallons tried to grab him :shock: lol lol lol

In my house the animals come first so if boyfriend doesnt like it he knows where to go!!! lol lol lol :wink:

Diesel won't actually seek out Adam to "attack" him, but is very growly and will bite if he's sitting on me at the time. I don't think it helps because growls are followed by Adam saying "stupid bl**dy bird" in a loud voice!! I suppose it's only a matter of time before Diesel says it back! :lol:

As for the animals come first, so true, but with 2 dogs, 2 bunnies, 5 cats and the bird... plus me studying a degree.... there's not much time left for the boyf!!! :lol:

Pharrell wolf whistles at my boyfriend and calls to him saying 'you alright darling'!!! lol lol

It really annoys my boyfriend cos he knows Pharrell is a boy and says hes taking the mickey. The time when Pharrell swooped my boyfriend made a shreiking noise cos he was scared and Pharrell kept flying round the room making the same 'shreiking' noise that my boyfriend made. My boyfriend said 'See..........your bird's taking the p*** out of me'!!! lol lol lol

Ive found that Pharrell growls at everyone but me, he used to like the ladies and be a real flirt but now hes a 'one woman' bird :wink:

Mind you saying that, i took him to the vets to get a health check and he loved the nurse cos he let her kiss his head!!! lol lol :roll:

My friends Ekkie is exactly the same with her boyfriend, he growls at him aswell and doesnt like him, even though her boyfriend has parrots aswell.

Hi. We have Ozzy the sennie who is my bird wont let anyone go near him but he ok if he goes to them but will take food of them. He also bites Rob if he puts his hand on me and Ozzy is out.

Then we have Bobby the Tag. now he my boyfriends bird (even thought he brought him for me). when he in his cage on good days i can touch his beak and on really good says i can tickle his head. Yet he all over Rob he gets the love dance and he regurgitate for him.

Rob can tickle him all night long. but if i go near him he backs away. but will take food of me when he out.

Yet I am the one that feeds and cleans the birds out and everything else.

It's the opposite here, my ekkie loves my hubby, regurgitating and everything. Given any opportunity he growls and lunges at me though :-( Chi the caique likes everyone but loves me so it's a birdie each :-)

It is always difficult, when a partner does not like your choice of companion.

And I hope you can get Adam to take this seriously.

It is hard to know how badly he really dislikes Diesel, or not from your post.

And how serious you are about who is going to win here.

I think if Adam won't seriously behave, and take on board what it means to try (note I only said try :) ) and socialize/integrate Diesel into the family, then you may have to consider who is, longterm, going to come first.

It was a good thing you did to save Diesel, but part of that is not setting the little green guy up for failure.

Get Adam to have a read here? Will he join in, that would be nice:-)

It is a hard decision for you to make, but if you want to keep Adam, then finding Diesel a new long term loving home before you get too attached would be best......I know it will already be..... ouch hard.

Good luck

Guest linds

ooh i'll have him, choose the b/f choose the b/f lol

How about I keep the bird and you get the boyf!! :lol:

don't think my husband would like that but hey the more the merrier they say lol :lol::lol::lol:

should also add that Jaffa and James are the same, they hate each other. But Jaffa being Jaffa will mickey take and one min run over and give James the biggest kiss then decide he hates him again and bites him lol, needless to say I find this hilarious :lol: . The difference with us is that James always says "you little green f**ker"

Miss Ruby is of course a little traitor and adores her daddy so much, she does nothing but kiss him the whole time she sits with him, little minx

As Rubytoo says either your BF is going to have to try and get along with the poor bird or down the line decisions are going to have to be made. Personally i choose animals everytime lol

It is always difficult, when a partner does not like your choice of companion.

And I hope you can get Adam to take this seriously.

It is hard to know how badly he really dislikes Diesel, or not from your post.

And how serious you are about who is going to win here.

I think if Adam won't seriously behave, and take on board what it means to try (note I only said try :) ) and socialize/integrate Diesel into the family, then you may have to consider who is, longterm, going to come first.

It was a good thing you did to save Diesel, but part of that is not setting the little green guy up for failure.

Get Adam to have a read here? Will he join in, that would be nice:-)

It is a hard decision for you to make, but if you want to keep Adam, then finding Diesel a new long term loving home before you get too attached would be best......I know it will already be..... ouch hard.

Good luck

Hi Rubytoo, I think at the moment it's not coming to a head seriously, Adam does make a small effort with Diesel, but one small set back (like a growl and lunge) and thats it, he gives up. He has no patience, he was the same with a staff we rescued last xmas, who howled and whined when she was in her crate, gradually this got better but he still moned about it all the time!! :roll:

Ever since I learned about Eclectus I've wanted a pair, they are beautiful. So it's possible I want to keep Diesel for selfish reasons. Saying that, the plan is, when I've finished my degree, to buy a house with some land, so I could have an outdoor aviary for Diesel with a girlfriend. I think that's the best a captive birdie can have, so maybe I'm not being that selfish at all, and Adam will have to lump it for another 18 months or so... :)

Dave was the same when I got Harry as he bonded with me immediately and Harry was always attacking Dave, and more worryingly always aimed for the eyes :shock: so after 2 near misses with his eyes Dave gave up on Harry, that was until I had a lot of information from here and advice and now a year and a half later, Harry adores Dave as much as he does me!

So its worth you OH not giving up.....easier said than done I know but good luck, and I think your OH joining here would be good :)

I have a boyriend who is petrified of birds!!! And when i say petrified he would cross the street to avoid a pigeon! Fortunately my grey and sennie love me lots and aren't interested in anyone else... however, the boyf has warmed to them all slowly and he will put food in their cages and give them toilet rolls to chew on... i think it's important for the birds and boyf to gain a mutual respect and that if a boyf shows that he blatanly hates the birds then they don't have much incentive to like him back.

As you may know i've recently acquired a Jardine who just loves everyone and the boyf has actually sat quite close to Charlie and doesn't mind him too much - so i'm just guessing it's going to be a slow progress but we'll all get there in the end!!

Oh Dear...

Diesel bit Adam last night (didn't draw blood mind you, and he's done that on me in the past!) so now he's back to being "that bloody bird" and we're back to square one and making no effort! :roll: GRRR BOYS!!!