Sign in to follow this  
stephie

gggggrrrrr some people don't have a clue

i'm on the lookout for a new cage for one of my flock so i've been searching ebay in the hope of a bargain. what annoys me is some of the things people say in the descriptions.

just today i saw a nice cage that wasn't too far from me it was being sold "because i had 4 budgies in it & they did my head in so i got rid"

and another budgie cage (teil possibly) actually said in the description, "i had an african grey in it but not sure if it'll be big enough for a macaw"

oh my god it's not even big enough for a 'miniture grey'.

Guest Gwydhyel

I have been looking also, and I agree that most cages are described as being suitable for parrots when they clearly are not.

But the thing that horrifies me is the number of parrot cages on ebay "because the parrot flew away" :shock:

the woman i rescued my sennie off had a grey that flew away. instead of trawling the streets & doing everything possible to get her grey back, she got a sennie & put it in the grey's cage.

Guest Gwydhyel

Let's hope the grey ended up somewhere much better, with someone who appreciated him.

I heard recently about someone who wanted to sell their cage and so just let the birds out into the wild to fend for themselves. Apparently, it was because they were "only" budgies and so not worth anything. :cry:

And a parrot I saw advertised yesterday - 'IT' is green with a red tail!!!!!!!!! And another advertising a baby african grey, including a photo of said baby parrot - with adult's eyes. Or those wanting to do a swap cos they are presumably bored with what they have now.

Huh! ??

Just seen this ad on Sun Locals:

Category: Birds

Color: Grey

Breed: African Grey Parrot

she is kc registered and up to date on all her shots.she comes along with a one year health gurantee and will make a good house pet.so please do contact for more informations if you want her.contact for more informations on her and pictures.

Errr...'kc registered'... 'up to date with shots'?

Guest linds

she is kc registered and up to date on all her shots.she comes along with a one year health gurantee and will make a good house pet.so please do contact for more informations if you want her.contact for more informations on her and pictures.

lol what a trumpet, i'd be tempted to call to ask what the hell they were thinking of

Linds, a lot of these adds are scams, you can usually get an idea about which ones by the way it is worded and the grammar ie: "she comes along with", "please do contact" and of course "one year health Guarantee"

Could do with one of them Guarantee's for my birds, does anyone know where i could get one? :? :D

Scam for sure!

:evil:

Guest Gwydhyel

How exactly do these scams work - are they 'knocked off' birds for sale or do they grab your money and run?

I think - generally - the birds don't exist, and you are asked to send the money and then the bird will be delivered to you. Or something along those lines. Where else would you expect to buy a Hyacinth Macaw for £250! :shock: There are so many of those ads, it's amazing that anyone would believe them.

The one where the grey is KC registered and has had it's shots is a classic :lol:

I would say if you've got the time and space to breed properly then go for it, but just make sure you sell in the right places, and to the right people, this site is a good start, it seems there are plenty of REAL parrot lovers here and not just parrot WANTERS, meet the prospective owners first, i think you will mostly know with a few questions and years of instinct if they will make a forever owner.

Don't let a few conning scumbags put you off.

If a "rescue" is asking for parrots then 99.9% of the time it is for breeding or selling on.

No rescue should ever need to ask for birds, If I go a few days or a week without a bird being handed in I am lucky and will do everything I can to work with the owners to help them keep the bird.

If you are thinking of breeding Please think long and hard about it, you might do all in your power to sell to the right person but if they have to sell the bird on (it happens often just open any paper to see how many people are selling "loved" family pets) it could end up going anywhere and having a really awlful life.

Sorry about getting on my soap box again :lol:

You are right there! One people know you, and what you do the birds tend to gravitate towards you without any advertisement at all. I'm always wary of people asking for birds, especially 'free' birds.

I dont breed, I dont really want to breed. It is ver yhard work, and not for everyone, and from what I have seen as well it can be heartbreaking. There is enough of that around anyway, why put yourself through it?

i get sick and tired of people advertising for a "free" or "cheap" parrot as they can't afford to pay full price ! what makes them think they can pay the upkeep of the bird day to day

Even people i know think you just chuck them some seed and thats it i think they are shocked when i tell them just how much it does cost