Sign in to follow this  
Guest linds

macaw help - UPDATE

Guest linds

I've posted before about the macaw who is living in the pet shop round the corner from me. This bird was once a pet and now is stuck in the shop and has been for years. It is a tiny shop and he is in the back corner surrounded by bags of hay and other small animals such as mice etc which again aren't well cared for.

He is perched on varnished wood that he has eaten away. Now this wood is the inner frame of a wall. It looks as though the paster board has been taken off and the guy varnished the 2x1 frame so it wouldn't look so bad, the bird now eats this.

it had a massive bowl full of seed :( and it's cage is a small travel cage :cry: , when the guy closes at 5, the bird is placed in here all night, alone. He is in the shop with no interaction as it's a small village and the guy doesn't have many customers nor does he bother with the bird.

Not only this but the bird now plucks so bad that the last time i seen him he was covered in blood all over his chest.

i've asked the guy to sell him to me, he refused, i've contacted the rspca, no help, i've also contacted the rspcb, no help and also been in touch with psuk and they gave me some advice but nothing I could use to help the bird more than I have tried.

i am now getting to the stage I want to walk in there and just take the bird, clearly I can't as the guy not only knows me but it would be stealling him but this bird used to be such a loved pet that he had pics taken with all the school kids and went with his owner to do talks about birds at schools. He's now about 25yrs old.

What else can I do, any help would be really appreciated as this bird is so unhappy and will end up dying.

You have as much rights as the RSPCA to bring a case against the owner,

Take a copy of the new DEFRA rules of bird welfare to the RSPCA and tell them that you are prepared to take the owner to court if they are not prepared to ensure that the bird is kept in the correct way (this should make them do something).

Also get in touch with DEFRA explaining how the bird is kept (photos would help) and ask them their advice.

Good luck.

rspcb,

do you mean RSPB ? ------ if so you were wasting their time and yours as they are only allowed to be involved with wild birds and illegally held British wild birds !!!!!

As for the waste of space RSPCA that is a fairly typical response :(

As you say none of the furries are well cared for and this Macaw is in need of veterinary attention :wink: I suggest you contact your Local Environmental Health Department as they are responsible for licencing the shop and under the AWB they have a duty of care to ensure that the livestock is receiving proper care and attention !

Guest linds

rspcb,

do you mean RSPB ? ------ if so you were wasting their time and yours as they are only allowed to be involved with wild birds and illegally held British wild birds !!!!!

As for the waste of space RSPCA that is a fairly typical response :(

As you say none of the furries are well cared for and this Macaw is in need of veterinary attention :wink: I suggest you contact your Local Environmental Health Department as they are responsible for licencing the shop and under the AWB they have a duty of care to ensure that the livestock is receiving proper care and attention !

yes i did mean rspb lol but having had a 1/2 bottle of wine and now onto vodka - hey say no more lol

he has believe it or not been to our avian vet and said that he was given tablets for the bird. After looking on the internet what these were, it was basically an anti-depressant so he didn't give them to the bird.

I don't feel that going the "correct" route is getting me anywhere at all, I've been trying for the last 2 years. This poor bird is going to end up dying it's such a shame. Someone I spoke to on here before knew the bird I was speaking of and stated the same thing that it was cruelty but the owner was just oblivious.

It is outrageous that people can get away with treating an animal like this, behind closed doors is bad enough, but when someone tries to help and still no one listens makes it all the worse.

Sounds like none of the official agency's seem to give a damn, looks like your best bet is to hope some parrot loving thief comes along and steals the poor bird.

Not that i would condone theft of course.

NOW, where did you say this shop is :wink:

Morning Linds

where abouts is this pet shop maybe if there were some members that lived near and they complained aswell it may put pressure on the idiot of an pet shop owner to do something

I'd happily go in lol :) :) :)

where is the pet shop linds............i think i may just pay him a visit,maybe if some money was to be wafted under his nose it might change his mind..........to hell with the conciquences,even if he had me on tape and found out my home address and i got arrested,still doesnt get his bird back does it,if hes as bad as that this needs sorting asap

i think we need to know where the shop is. PM us if you don't want to say on the open forum.

also why wouldn't he sell him to you? is he not actually for sale or did he just want more than you could give?

Linds

This is the exact same situation I had with Cassie I called the pet shop 2/3 times asking them to sell her to me no joy The Parrot Society also got involved I think you should give them a ring the woman from there was very helpful to me and spoke to the owner and eventually he finally decided to sell Cassie. She actually came to the pet shop with me to collect Cassie.

May be worth a try if you are not getting anywhere with RSPCA etc the Scottish branch are very local to us.

Guest linds

Linds

This is the exact same situation I had with Cassie I called the pet shop 2/3 times asking them to sell her to me no joy The Parrot Society also got involved I think you should give them a ring the woman from there was very helpful to me and spoke to the owner and eventually he finally decided to sell Cassie. She actually came to the pet shop with me to collect Cassie.

May be worth a try if you are not getting anywhere with RSPCA etc the Scottish branch are very local to us.

ooh will have a gab about that tomorrow when you come over.

Everyone the shop is in Lanarkshire and he wouldn't sell him to me because he is HIS pet !!! He said he's had him to long he couldn't bear to part with him.

oh for goodness sake. so he can't bear to part with him cos he's his pet but he's happy to have the poor thing all alone at night & be shut in a corner of a shop. i presuming the shop isn't open 7 days a week so he'll more than likely be all alone one day a week as well.

Guest linds

i know, well i'm moving from here so I have a few months to ensure that i get that bird outta there.

Guest Jane Doe

I reported a similar thing in a local pet shop, a young BF Amazon, the ignorant twit who knows sweet FA about birds let alone parrots decided he wanted to keep him as a pet shop bird, I reported this to the RSPCA, I think they visited, I was anon so I didn't get a call back but according to my Mum's friend (who has had a go at them) they put the bird and cage up for sale for £1000 :evil: I don't know what the latest is, I hope someone will pay that and he gets a good home, the RSPCA must have told the twit he can't keep him in a shop, things have changed since the AWB came into force.

Eer did you contact the RSPCA or the SSPCA ? They are separate Organisations and as you are in Scotland it is the later you need to contact ------------- incidentally they have more powers than their English counterparts !

i had an argument in a shop about a meyers bird and the owner insisted it WASN'T a parrot he continued his torrent of abuse until i pointed out to him that i have 9 of them at home. i think its discraceful that they can keep these poor birds and know sod all about them! the man never apologised and just told me i was nosy (nosy but knowledgeable :P)

Guest Jane Doe

I suppose you could go in there with some other people prefrably blokes, take the bird and throw a cheque at him or some money that way it isn't stealing. If he went to the cops say you did a deal paid cash no reciept, didn't go through the till, he gets in trouble with the VAT as well. :wink:

Guest linds

Eer did you contact the RSPCA or the SSPCA ? They are separate Organisations and as you are in Scotland it is the later you need to contact ------------- incidentally they have more powers than their English counterparts !

yeah sspca, i'm completely sober today lol so know exactly what I'm saying :oops: :lol:

Guest linds

I suppose you could go in there with some other people prefrably blokes, take the bird and throw a cheque at him or some money that way it isn't stealing. If he went to the cops say you did a deal paid cash no reciept, didn't go through the till, he gets in trouble with the VAT as well. :wink:

I wish I could, the thing is the guy knows me too well. He did love the bird at one time so I do know he does care for him but isn't actually caring for his needs, he just doesn't have the time for him now. He used to be a loved pet who lived at home and then the guy met his wife who hated the bird being in the house so he then moved him to the shop, slowly but surely his time with him has got less and less. He sometimes takes him home at night but it's very rare like bank holiday weekends etc when he knows he won't be at the shop.

James said the last time he spoke to the guy he said he took him home at night so wheter that's changed I don't know but the birds not being cared for in the way he should. I don't expect to go into a store to see a bird covered in dried blood all over his chest, it's heartbreaking.

Guest linds

Linds I have sent you a pm xx

just mailed you, didn't see the emails cos they all went into my spam folder lol

Guest Jane Doe

From what I can tell it could be illegal to keep a bird as a pet shop bird, epsecially the way that bird is being kept. I was suprised how helpful the RSPCA were, they seemed to have improved since the new bill came into power, before this they wouldn't even go into a pet shop, just palm you off with ringing the council who provides the pet shop licence.

Guest linds

From what I can tell it could be illegal to keep a bird as a pet shop bird, epsecially the way that bird is being kept. I was suprised how helpful the RSPCA were, they seemed to have improved since the new bill came into power, before this they wouldn't even go into a pet shop, just palm you off with ringing the council who provides the pet shop licence.

me and pamela re gonna go and have a look tomorrow, then i'll work out the steps i'm gonna take.