Sign in to follow this  
Harry's Mummy

Toy ideas please????

Can you also please come up with some suggestions for me for new toys for Harry, after nosing in peoples photobuckets there are a lot more toys than just wooden ones........

Sparkwing - what was the toy you brought Willow ?

Vicky - what are the toys you have at the bottin Laurel & Hardy's cage pictures hanging across and in the 3 more babies picture you have toys at the bottom of the cage, where can I get these or simular?

Any other suggestions on toys that are safe for Harry would be appreciated as I would love to get him something different for Xmas, and the more colourful the better........

We use these, they can be hung up with sisal rope or leather, drill them and hang things from them, or just use em for a good game of hide n seek :lol:

Posted Image

Ours love em !!

Most of our non wooden toys are ex baby toys etc from car boot sales.They love them,there safe(but check) co;ourful and most importantly tough as old boots.We have 50 or 60 different ones some are musical.Last haul we got ,theres apic on here somewere was less than a tenner from a car boot,we just scrub them all up and f10 them check for dodgy bits and away you go.The ones across the cage are what you would stretch across a babies pram,these we only use for the babies as the ceter contains elastic and an adult grey would expose it.Just scout around charity shops and car boots..usually if its safe and fun for a human baby a parrot will love it.......just remember with all toys supervision is the key oh and toys with batteries must be checked and never left in the cage.....imagine omg

i tend to go for the chunky stuff...stay away from thin brittle plastic and things with small pieces in like little balls and detachable parts.Baby rattles are a favourite too,like the huge plastic keys etc....our philosophy is just go chunky lol if a screaming toddler cant destroy it not much can hahhahahaha all our stuff is roadtested by ollie and he has never broke anything yet

Huh !! so my suggestion too complicated then eh?

Woops a daisy sorry Paulie, nah not too complicated, my chins love them, and like Sue never thought about trying them with Harry......

*makes note not to ignore Paulie* :? :oops:

Hi Harry's Mummy - I take it you mean the toy I posted about in another site section. I got it a few days ago in an early learning centre. I've just checked and it is made by them. There are phots of it and Willow in my photobucket, in sub-album 'Fummy Willow'.

Could not resist telling the assistant I was getting it for my parrot - the look she gave me....

i tend to go for the chunky stuff...stay away from thin brittle plastic and things with small pieces in like little balls and detachable parts.Baby rattles are a favourite too,like the huge plastic keys etc

Thanks for the tips Vikky.

I take it you mean the toy I posted about in another site section. I got it a few days ago in an early learning centre. I've just checked and it is made by them

Thats the one, and would have love to have seen the assitants face.....

Guest ytagguk

paulie, who makes the chubes, they arnt the ones i told you about, the ones i get are made by underworld, and i have checked with the manufacturer to make sure they are safe for birds, i didnt realise some one else made them. can you give me the manufactures name. they may do other things that could be bird safe.

as to baby toys, these i think are not a safe choice for birds, they are made for babys not birds, a birds beak is strong, they can break off bits, birds chew on the plastic, and a few years ago it was in the news that the plastic that was being used for some baby toys was toxic, (china again i think) so how can you know you dont have a toxic toy.

the only way you would know, was if your parrot dropped dead.

take a look at my website, i do lots of toy making parts, i also do acrylic toy making parts, these are colourful and safe, they are made for birds.

it is very hard to find safe toys for birds, even 70% of the toys sold for birds are not safe. birds love pine wood and this is classed as the best wood for birds to chew.

i am doing my best to get safe materials for toys, and also safe manufactured toys, this is no easy task, there is so much junk out there.

it always amazes me when i hear of people useing baby toys for birds, especially when i know some baby toys are toxic.

parrots can, and do, bite little bits off and swollow them, babys dont.

Yvonne

lol seems dozens of us are irresponsible then?or is it a case of putting down our methods to promote your own after all you do run a parrot toy buisness, as thats what it sounds like.I ve been using baby teething rings and the like for over 10 years and will continue to do so,are you telling me that toys designed to go constantly in a babies mouth can be toxic?hmmm.My baby toys are used by baby parrots who dont have the beak strength to break anything.My older birds have a selection of wooden and we buy heaps of acrylic toys from threeladdies.You say parrots can and do bite bits off? how do you know this?.......like i said ...in 10 years thats never happened to us and never will the baby toys we choose you couldnt break if you hit them with a hammer.

Guest ytagguk

Hello Vikky, first thing I would like to say is, if I need to promote my site I can put an advert on whenever I wish, as I am a paying member of the shopping centre. And as to how I know baby toys are not safe, it’s called research, and after 2 years of research I think I am qualified to speak about what’s safe and what’s not. Babies are not birds, they are far smaller, and far more sensitive, old baby toys from car boot sales can have many chemicals in, even some of the new toys are being recalled because they have been found to have lead in. You say you have given your bird baby toys for years, then this is your choice, but it does not mean you are not slowly poisoning him; it can take a long time for adverse effect to show. And as to you saying, are dozens of you being irresponsible, then all i can say to this is that, if you know the dangers and still give baby toys then i would say yes!! You are being irresponsible. It does not take a rocket scientist to make safe toys, go to b&q buy some pine and make your own, BIRDS LOVE TO CHEW WOOD, and not the hard wood found on most parrot toys, natural pine is the best wood for parrots to chew; i have lots of customers who would agree with me. I am in this business because i care passionately about parrots, i hate to see people giving there birds unsafe toys, I am trying to do my bit in keeping our parrots safe. I know from customers comments that I have made a lot of parrots happy with the toys, and ideas i have provided, and all safe!! I do what I do because I care, not to make a quick profit, I could fill up my site with mountains of rubbish parrot toys if I wanted, and make a good profit at this, but I will only sell safe toys and materials, and these are very hard to find, this is the reason i only have a few manufactured toys on my web site.

Yvonne _________________

i dont need to be told that birds love to chew,chewing has many benefits,but for this i dont need to buy wood,i researched and found somewhere i can get untreated logs with the bark still atached,birds also like to have visual stimulation,i have always and will always continue to provide my birds with baby toys,my choice to do so,i was asked for an opinion by a member and i gave it ,at no point did i mention you ,your toys or your methods and to call people who do choose to use ''nonbird playthings''irresponsible i find very condecending.We all research and make our own minds up and it seems most people on here think ''certain'' ''nonbird'' toys are ok as long as they are supervised and you choose carefully.........i understand mmm's birds favorite toy is a plastic nail brush is she also irresponsible?and i believe lam or another mod recently brought an activity cener yet another irresponsible owner?not all toys are mouthed most are just foot toys ...does your research prove i am slowly killing my birds or is it just an educated guess?

well i give Elmo baby toys, as i did with my kids when they were little. i'm sure anything intended for babies is made with the strictest safety guidlines. i'm not going to take Elmo's favourite toys away from him, as in my opinion, they are perfectly safe. do you think small children should be left to chomp on a bit of 2x4 from B&Q in case Boots have added lead to their baby range????

Yes roz,i think we have both put across our opinions and im sure with recent events you have no wish have to referee a ''heated debate''.......apologies!

Guest Gwydhyel

On a lighter note.........I don't know if you saw the hanging playstand I got for Lola (and now she has to share it with Summer, but not at the same time or all hell breaks loose, lol).

I have added lots of the wooden blocks and other bits and pieces that I got from Yvonne, and it looks very, erm, nice, and keeps them occupied for hours. If they ever tire of it, I am thinking of submitting it to the Tate Modern, and I will probably sell it to one of the Saatchis for millions of pounds. :mrgreen:

i ocasionally ang a horses bit up in doris cage, completely indestructable and 100% safe as its stainless steel, dont have make a racket though hence her only getting it ocasionally

Guest ytagguk

Vikky, I am not really sure why you are so rude to me, I thought this site was to help people and answer questions if you have the knowledge to do so, I simply put that baby toys were not safe, of which is not an educated guess on my part, its fact. Your reply was rude and suggested that I was just saying this to promote my site, yes I am in the parrot toy business, but I do not need to promote my site in this way, my customers promote my site enough for me, and I can put adverts on the forum if I wish. I go to extreme lengths to make sure my toys are safe, I have done extensive research on toy safety, it is not fair that you make suggestions that I don’t know what I am talking about.

Be assured I do know what I am talking about, and I can help people that do want to know about toy safety issues, you mention the nail brush as a toy, with glee!! As if this is a safe toy, and you know this.

I shuddered when I read it, toothbrushes and nail brushes are actually one of the worst toys you can give a parrot, and hear is the reasons why. Toothbrushes are made of nylon fibres’ and some have metal parts. If eaten by a bird, cannot pass through their digestive system and cause blockage, people have had parrots that have pulled the bristles out and had health problems relating to the metal pieces... I have just pulled at the bristles on my nail brush and it has metal pieces inside it, and it pulled apart easy. And as to the other remark someone made,” I thought babies chew on baby toys”, they do indeed, but they don’t eat them, parrots are far more sensitive to chemicals than a baby, and at the end of the day, plastic is full of chemicals, some old baby toys are very toxic to birds. These are usually found on car boot sales, and for the record, I do not make educated guesses, I research things, I also do not know everything, and if I don’t know, I will say so, I then will go and find out, so the next time I am asked I do know the answer. And for the record, i am extremely passionate about what I do, I make my toys and give advice because I love parrots, i want to make them safe and happy, this is something i do well, and I am very proud of, I never have, nor ever will put profit before the health and wellbeing of a bird, now there is not many people that can say that from the heart.

Yvonne

Hi...I do not know a lot about baby toys...I do not have children myself and I know Vikky is a very careing breeder..but I would like to spend some words about Yonne knowldege on birds safety issues. I have had lots of problem recently with my AA cage as some of you probably knows and I have got lots of help and information from Yovnne about what is toxic for birds and what is not and everything she told me was actually right!. I would like to say that it is very difficoult thing giving an honest opinion when you trade stuff on this forum and if I can say that we should not shut up people using that! I do not thing she is accusing anybody and I do think she is getting a very postive feedback/advert from her cotumers which is probably a better advert than her talking about it. Said that I read a lot of post from Vikky and I think she can choose what is good for her birds and seems she cheks them carefully..can we be sure of what they are made? I do not know..In my country, Italy, we are having a lot of problem with toxic baby toys made in China and we should all keep an eye on that.

I do not have a lot of experience in birds like Vikky has..Pepe is my first parrot so I buy my toys from Yvonne beeing completly sure that they are 100% safe for him!

For youHarry's mummy, I would sugget to try to make your on with a toy kit and you could do that while your bird is watching..Pepe loves sitting with me and helping me chossing bits!

I edited to say..sorry for my English..lots of mistakes!