Sign in to follow this  
kerenza

Grrr (updated)

I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself at the moment :( I'd been a bit ill with alveolitis but thought i was managing it. A couple of months ago i went to see Boo (my first birdie) and i stayed a couple of hours, i know it was daft but it was wonderful seeing him, there were however a few other parrots too.

Anyway this made me a lot worse and i was struggling with my 2. I had a few days in a cottage by the sea last week and i improved so much in just a few days. My hope was that my lungs would get back to how they were and i'd be able to manage the symptoms. As soon as i got back in the house my chest started getting tight, the birds came back the following day and i'm now back to coughing and wheezing.

It's not drastic and i'm praying it doesn't get to that stage again but i have to say it isn't looking too good.

I'm back at the hospital at the beginning of december for the results of breathing tests i had. I'm going to ask them to discharge me though as i know what's making me ill and it seems pointless wasting their time and money.

I can't stand the idea of losing these birds, Sage hates me but i still love him dearly, Chi is besotted with me and sooo loving. Only fellow bird owners/lovers will know how i'm feeling at the moment which is why i'm rambling to you all xx

I'm getting worse all the time and have had to decide to rehome Chi. Details are in the for sale section, it's vital that i get a lovely home for him. If anyone knows of anywhere then please drop me a pm, thanks xx

Guest ytagguk

kerenza, i am really so sorry for what you are going through, i really do know how you feel, life can be so rotten some times, it's just not fair that this is happening to you again.

i hope things improve for you soon, i know how much you love your birds.

a big hug from me also,

Yvonne xx

Guest choccyb

That must be so hard for you, hope things improve for you and you dont have to make that decision. xxxxxxxxxxx

I can really understand how you are feeling I was diagnosed with asthma this year, was test for psitacossis and for a little while everybody kept saying its your parrot and he will have to go. thankfully it hasnt turned out to be true but i went through a lot of the emotions you have. however it turns out for you they will always be your birds your babies, no one can ever take that away from you but your health is equally important if you ever need anyone to talk to or sound off to youre very welcome to pm me

keep smiling im thinking of you

Thanks so much for all your good wishes :-) I'm really praying it settles down again, i'm doing everything i possibly can to minimise the effects. I don't know why but i seem to be getting more and more sensitive.

The consultant wasn't very understanding to start with, he was kind of like "the birds make you ill, rehome them and you'll be fine" He now realises how much it affects my mental state and he has been pretty good. Obviously from his point of view the solution is simple but he does seem to understand why i have to keep trying.

I wish my parents did :-/ I'm 39 and old enough to make my own mistakes, they're giving me a hard time and all they know is i have a bit of a cough! If they knew how rough i was really feeling i'd never hear the end of it!

Asthma is a nasty thing but i'm so pleased you didn't have to part with your bird, Freddie. It's like i said, only fellow bird lovers could really understand.

Oh Im so sorry things havnt got better, I know you were really hoping the time away would make you feel better. :cry:

If you need someone to talk to, just give me a bell, you have my number, even if you just want to rant and rave at the injustice of it all. Still hoping and praying that you feel better soon without having to put yourself through what happened before, I really do. (((HUGS)))

Thanks so much for all your good wishes :-)

I wish my parents did :-/ I'm 39 and old enough to make my own mistakes, they're giving me a hard time and all they know is i have a bit of a cough! If they knew how rough i was really feeling i'd never hear the end of it!

My parents are both dead now but they would be giving me a really hard time i'm sure if I was in this situation, I KNOW!

:oops: Can I be really nosy and ask exactly what the problem is?

Aw Kerenza, I am so sorry you are going through this again :cry: After going through a similar thing myself (as you well know :wink: ) I know what you are going through. I do hope it settle again and you won't have to make any awful decisions. My thoughts are with you xx

It's called alveolitis, i'd never even heard of it before. The only definite diagnosis is with a lung biopsy but they are in no doubt (nor am i now) that this is what it is. It showed up on x-ray and ct scan, i also tested positive in bloods for parrot serum and faeces. My airways are really good, it doesn't affect them like asthma does, it goes straight to the lungs. I end up coughing most of the time and when it's really bad, passing out. I get really hot and achey, almost like having flu but the sweats are awful, feeling constantly tired and absolutely no energy is also part of it.

Dusty birds are obviously worse, i really thought i'd be ok with an eclectus, plus i visited someone with a caique and had no reaction which is why i rescued Chi. I guess it just took longer to react because they don't have so much dust, i know some people have been seriously ill with it just from owning a budgie or cockatiel :-/

I've found most of my info from the net and a support group i joined in the states. My consultant admitted he doesn't know much about different parrot species, most of the people he sees just accept they can't keep birds, if it all goes wrong this time then i'll have to join them!

Guest ytagguk

kerenza, have you thought of building an aviary out side for your birds, if you have space you could build them a great outside home, and you would be spared the heartbreak of having to rehome them.

you would have them safe and happy with you. birds do love to be out side, i can speak from experiance, mine have the choice of inside or out, and harry always picks outside.

you would not be alble to move them outside untill the summer, but its another option for you i hope.

if you need to talk, give me a call,

Yvonne xx

How are you now Angel? I hope things are good for you :-)

I do have room for a small aviary, it's something we've been thinking about but they'd still need to spend time with us inside. It would minimise the exposure though so definitely worth a try when the warmer weather comes. Everything is trial and error at the minute, there doesn't seem to be any definite answers. It's so frustrating not knowing what my reactions will be or if i am liable to get worse, i don't know if you can have this and manage it at a certain level or if it always gets worse. I could always get 1 of the gas masks with filters, it might catch on and be the new fashion <g> xx

So sorry to here about your problem Karenza, i see people selling parrots due to alergies, to tell the truth i always thought it was a bit of a cop out, :x but to hear it from a genuine parrot lover is heartbreaking, I hope you get better and things turn out ok for you.

Maxnjake, I think a lot of times you are right. But like you said, there are genuine cases too, Kerenza sadly being one of them.

Like many of us she could not imagine a life without birds. And I am sure that many people, even understanding this, and her condition, would still think her silly for wanting to try again.

Umm.... :oops: :) that includes me, but I can understand why she has to try. And you don't know until you do !

She took Sage and Chi from less than ideal homes, and has given them a loving caring and understanding new home, which I hope will be forever.

Fingers crossed X for you Kerenza.

I have the same sort of thing as you. I have phases of coughing sometimes I think triggered by the mildest cold, I am really sensitive now. Luckily I do not get short of breath just the cough. I am discharged from the hospital with just an open appointment should I need to go back, I was monoterd over a year just to make sure the scarring on my lungs did not get any bigger, they were aware I would not give up my birds.

Basically it turned out just to be a change in the way I dealt with them, which helped me.

Have you got good air purifiers? Dakin is a good make, also changing your cloths and washing your hair after cleaning them out and just keeping everything clean and dust free in your home.

Giving your birds access to outside will also help, good for them and if you can incorporate a birdroom and flight within your house you will get a good blow through with fresh air. We used to have a room off our living room as a birdroom with a flight built off this (so the birds were still inside but had access to outside from the house) opposed to a separate building in the garden.

Hope you feel better soon, I am sure you will get passed it. Just get the Benylin out when you get that coughing feeling.

Thanks Ruby *hugs*

Hi Gardiner, i have 2 expensive filters just for my lounge (where the birds mainly are) Hubby cleans them out and dampens the papers first. I've tried cough sweets etc which help to soothe my throat when i've coughed so much.

It's bearable at the moment, last time with my other 2 birds (too, grey) it became impossible, i wasn't able to look after them properly. You've actually given me a bit of hope, i was wanting to know if it could stay the same or if it always got worse. Is it definitely alveolitis you have? It sounds the same if your lungs are scarring, i'm really glad things have settled down for you :-)

I'm getting worse all the time and have had to decide to rehome Chi. Details are in the for sale section, it's vital that i get a lovely home for him. If anyone knows of anywhere then please drop me a pm, thanks xx