Sign in to follow this  
maxnjake

Slowly tameing orange wing

The funniest thing happened today, my o/w Jake is usually the most unsociable, aloof, totally non interested bird you could meet, i bought him just under a year ago, and to tell the truth i should have done more homework on parrots, cause he has a split ring and from what i have found out was probably a wild caught bird, so before you all slaughter me, for buying him, it was before i knew what i know now, and YES i should of done my homework before i bought him, but i didn't, so he will now have a forever home, and i won't buy another imported bird.

Anyway, he used to be nasty, nasty, but with a lot of TLC and time, he now steps up nicely but hates been touched, oh, and he is usually the most quite bird ever, well tonight, he was sitting on my laptop and i moved my head towards him and he wanted to rub heads, soo sweet i think.

Hopefully he is now enjoying his unfortunately enforced life.

Any tips on how to bring on his confidence will be much appreciated.

Guest choccyb

All the amazons I have ever known go mad for pine nuts. In fact all the parrots I have met. Maybe you could try them. I use them as training treats for my birds and they learning to fly to me on command for a pine nut at the moment.

xxxx

Oh yea, Jake is like most amazons in that respect, Greedy, but he just doesn't seem to play with, or chew his toys, makes almost no noise, unless you try to stroke him then WOW, big time screech, boy does he not like being touched, but he's happy to sit on my hand, i guess he's a happy bird, but cause he just sits on top of his cage pretty much most the time, he is only in at night and for a couple of hours during the day, i feel he's missing out on parroty things

Great bird though, he's come on a long way since i got him as a temperamental growler.

I think tonight was a big step for the both of us, i feel like a proud father, sorry to bug you with it but it's a big step for me. :D