Sign in to follow this  
Guest ramagel

Cleaning my White Cockatoo

Guest ramagel

I have a female Goffin's Cockatoo: white normally, but gets grey very quickly.

You won't be surprised to learn that she demands (and gets) quite a lot of handling. She gets grubby. She gets even grubbier when she insists on sitting on my chest or perching on my wrists while I'm trying to read the newspaper - all the ink on my fingers gets on her every time I pointlessly shove her out of the way! :)

Any tips for cleaning a grubby bird other than showering her every day (and that doesn't really spruce her up as the grubbiness is oily (even just naturally from skin oils) rather than dusty - I'd need a soap of some kind and I'm reluctant to use that, even a baby shampoo seems a bit harsh).

Thanks for any tips!

Oh, by the way, my Hahn's has just got back almost all his feathers now, including his red shoulder flashes. Hoorah! So he then decides to moult out all his tail feathers. Bah! Bless .....

Guest ramagel

Thanks for that! I think I shall try diluted aloe vera in a spritzer (I have several juicy plants) instead of any kind of shampoo. And maybe wear lovely white cotton gloves every time I play with her! (Not!)

Thanks