Sign in to follow this  
Guest choccyb

Shocking prices!!!

Guest choccyb

I went into a local pet shop yesterday and was completely shocked at the prices they are charging for birds. They had a hahns macaw in a small cage (Hahns are loads smaller than I thought but this was the first one I have seen!!) and he was for sale for £850.00!!!!!!! I was so shocked as I know h/r babies can sell for around £395. This one seemed semi tame, I had the pleasure of getting my thumb pinched by him (my own fault. They also had a CAG for sale at £895!!!! There was a pic of him up on the glass window to where the birds are kept looking in good condition but when I looked through, I saw him sat shaking on the brach with a totally bald head and he looked to me like he was sat there chewing the feathers around his neck. He looked so sorry for himself it was sad to see. I asked the shop assistant at the till why he was bald and he replied that he is young and going through his first moult. Does that sound right? I know some birds can have a sever moult but why would just the head feathers come out when the rest of his body was fine. They also had a pair of rockpebblers for sale, either seperately or as a pair £280.00 and a maroon bellied conure for £350!!!

A while ago they had an ow amazon for sale at £900.00 and it wasnt particularly tame!!!!!

I feel sorry for the birds and I feel sorry for the unknowing people who dont realise that they could get birds from breeders or even birds needing rehoming for so much cheaper and have a much happier bird in the process.

Stacey xxx

:twisted: it wasn't the greys first moult ,he was plucking :roll:a young greys first moult is usually between 6 and 8 months old but usually around a year,when the moult is major and they shed there baby coats,the red and balck tinged tail feathers are also replaced with the pure bright red ones..........i have never ,ever seen a grey parrot with a bald head and neck due to a moult :?It really gets on my nerves,youve got a pet shop owner telling possible buyers that the bird is bald for normal reasons .so inexperienced buyer says ok fine and actually does nothing to help an obviously stressed bird if they buy it,and after 3 months the new owners wonder why they have a screaming bald/bleeding bird in there house :twisted:and im affraid the sad fact is the baby birds in there were not on -site bred and sold cheap to the shop by a breeder after an easy life

alot of pluckers scratch out feathers and often pull them out with there feet,head feathers are also pulled/snipped by a cage or aviary mate,seeing as the bird was on his own thats not the case? unless the guy was telling more lies,mites will also cause excessive scratching leading to bald areas,it is also a sign of disease :cry:

Bald heads 'can' be one of the symptoms of PBFD, if there is not another bird around to be plucking the head. I would be wary of going in that shop at the moment, or if you do (and I would do this anytime I visit anywhere with birds I dont know) make sure you completely change your clothers and have a shower before you go anywhere near your own birds.

pet shops will always inflate the prices, and they do get them too. A place by me sells greys for £1000 inc cage (which is just adequate), yet the constantly have them leaving! But it's the same with all animals, people inflate the prices, and others buy. Until people stop buying there is nothing that can be done and pet shops will continue to sell :cry:

A local garden centre to me sells greys for a grand and throw in a good but cheap instruction book on parrot care. The greys seem to sell as there is quite a turnover. There are a couple of blue fronted amazons there, a younger one for £1100 and a sad looking lass who is well over a year for £950. This older one looks like someone has made a clumsy attempt to trim her beak as well. They are all supposed to be hand reared but I suspect they would have forgotten about that by now, some being there so long. Obviously the nippier they become, the less the staff will be inclined to handle them and one wonders what their eventual fate will be. There is also a lovely blue and gold macaw, who presumably is on his own when the store is closed. And he has been there a good two years at least, as far as I can make out (one tends to get differing stories depending to which assistant is asked).

I don't think I can go there again cos it really upsets me, and even if I could justify the expense, it simply serves to encourage the company to keep on stocking them. I am glad to say that my local 'Pets at Home' have stopped stocking birds.

Guest choccyb

The grey is on its own. The bird cages are in a closed off area and you can only go through the door with a member of staff so I didnt actually go in with the birds, just looked through the glass which is only a couple of feet away from the birds so close enough to see they not in a happy state.

I really have a good mind to ring the shop and speak to the manager the poor thing looked so sorry for itself.

xxxx

i'd ring the manager as its obvious the poor bird isn't happy and what twaddle about a moult! if your not happy with his answer take it further, pretty poor manager if he/she lets it happen around them

Guest linds

When Jaffa has a moult he always moults badly around his head but it's never bald. he could have been pulling them out I suppose but def doesn't sound like a happy bird :cry:

Guest Jane Doe

Don't forgot under the new animal welfare bill you can now report cruelty, neglect, bad condtions in pet shops to the RSPCA, they will pay them a visit. The cruelty line is on the top right hand corner.

http://www.rspca.org.uk/

Guest choccyb

Thanks Jane will have a look and if I dont get any joy from speaking to the manager tomorrow I will give rspca a call.

Stacey xxx