Sign in to follow this  
sparkkwing

Anyone tried the Adventure pack cages?

Thinking ahead to sunnier times :D , my eye was caught by these backpack contraptions for being out and about with your bird. As I love photography :-k and like to go out and about, one of these would appear ideal for her to come with me. We also need a travel cage for vw camper van (if it ever returns from the garage :twisted: ).

Wondered if the poor bird would end up sea sick from being in one - but no more I suppose than being on a branch swaying in the breeze - but I digress! :oops:

Anyway - has anyone tried one or any opinions (before I part with any more money!)? :?:

They can be checked out on http://www.24parrot.com amongst other sites.

Guest Jane Doe

Do you mean this one?

http://www.24parrot.com/The-Adventure-Pack--2-colours-P83100a/

I'v got the original type, I'v used it to take birds to the vets, it works well for that. I could see what you mean about making them sea sick, bouncing around and all that! These one look better than the one I have, stronger and larger, better for bigger birds. My one was about £85.00 the price has gone up but they look better quality.

Guest Gwydhyel

I think in theory they look great I suppose it depends on the parrot whether they would like it or not! Summer would love it, because she is a "go anywhere with you" kind of girl. Some of my others would have hated it though.

My sister did a world trip last year, and saw a woman on the beach somewhere in Indonesia who had two of these with Amazon/Grey sized parrots. She said they travelled everywhere with her.

Guest Jane Doe

It didn't feel at all heavy, I don't know how much more heavy duty these new types are. My one looks a bit like a small bird cage (very thin stainless steel bars) that has a purpose built rucksack, it does fold flat as well for storage but I just keep mine made up in the cupboard.

Hi. I got myself one after seeing these pictures by Ganda:

:arrow: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gandboss/OldSite/Parrot%20Stuff/holiday.htm

In fact you could have a read at this:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=311254&highlight=#311254

I started taking my YT Caique for a short walk around the house and than longer and longer trips. Now when the weather is nice Pepe come with us everywhere we go and he loves. we take with us some treats and if people wnat thay can give pepe one. I think Pepe is learning to trust a bit people he does know because of that. pepe feel safe in is little Advetures pack and I think is a good way of making him confident with the noises of the world outside the house while we are training him to the herness! It is great , but I would not suggested as carrier for birds larger than African Gray!

Do you mean this one?

I just checked for more info - apparently, she and her husband were travelling by yacht. 8)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Ha ha! Ok - any threads on yachts suitable for parrots :P

One last question (until I think of another) would an african grey be able to use it as an overnighter?

I kept pepe overnight a couple of times we were late back from a trip and Pepe went to sleep before we were back. I think You could ...Ask Ganda, I asked him once about the herness and he is lovely! He also have an African Grey...if you look at his picture you will see on one of the foto he also had with him a bigger cage. I think if you are going away for many days you may want to have a larger carrier. If you can take the bird out and it is matter of only 1 night or 2 I think your African Grey should be ok!

I dunno, the carrier is wonderful for the smaller birds but I do think as an overnight cage may be a tad small for the greys. They are good, and I do like them and the idea behind it, but Im not sure. It depends I guess how long the grey is going to be in the cage, because dont forget they will be unable to stretch their wings out in that carrier. If you would be able to take them out, give them a bit of exercise before letting them settle for the night then it may be OK.

Thanks Anita - that's kinda what I thought would be the case. I guess it also depends on how much the little one is out during the day. Will have another good look at Ganda's holiday report. Want to get her used to an Aviator as well so she can be with us as much as possible and come on camping trips etc. Er! - When the weather is better!

We started to take Pepe with us in the Advebture pack carrier because we want pepe be in use with the noise outside before we take him out on the herness..It is working well. If you contact Ganda he will tell you how it worked out for him. Also in his web site you will find a wonderful video on how to get the herness on. I do not know much about birds, Pepe is my first parrot and I do not have any experience with African Grey...so ask also people with experience with them! The adventure pack isvery light!

I dunno, the carrier is wonderful for the smaller birds but I do think as an overnight cage may be a tad small for the greys. They are good, and I do like them and the idea behind it, but Im not sure. It depends I guess how long the grey is going to be in the cage, because dont forget they will be unable to stretch their wings out in that carrier. If you would be able to take them out, give them a bit of exercise before letting them settle for the night then it may be OK.

Well it would seem that if she is ok with a harness (and the breeder got her used to one - gave it to me - size petite??!' Not much use now), then this back pack affair could be useful for the odd overnight trip. She seems a very socialble birdy, not at all nervous, and I would obviously start her with short trips to see how she copes. When the weather is kinder............

I think the Adveture pack is one of the best thing I got for Pepe and gives as the freedom of taking him with as really often! I have to say some people will look at you like you are a mental case!!!! I do not care...probably we all are a bit one!!

Good luck...

I think the Adveture pack is one of the best thing I got for Pepe and gives as the freedom of taking him with as really often! I have to say some people will look at you like you are a mental case!!!! I do not care...probably we all are a bit one!!

Good luck...

:P Cheers Anita, may well give one a try.

As for people thinking I am a mental case - long been used to being considered 'unusual' for my age, and long may it last! My daughter, who was then 16, held the door open for me as I trotted out on a Saturday night - to go to a rave - saying snottily 'Shouldn't it be me doing this?'. That was a few years ago - and yes I still go!