Sign in to follow this  
pcmikey

african grey-what should i do when going on holiday?

Hi all,

I have an african grey,she is 5 months old.

I am looking for advice as i have a touring caravan & wonder what would be best for her when i go away in it.

Do i leave her at home and get someone to come and feed/see her daily or do i take her with me but in a smaller cage or do i move her to a relatives house?

I am not thinking of going away till next year but was wondering what was the best thing to do.

I am not sure about taking her with me as i would not want her to be stolen /lost.

Any advice would be helpful.

cheers :D

Either take her with you or leave with a family member or friend i would not leave her on her own, even with someone popping in. They get lonely or she could become ill suddenly with no-one there it is a disaster waiting to happen IMO

If I had the choice of taking my birds with me, or leaving them taking them with me would win everytime! Trouble is I'd need about 6 vans for my lot! :lol:

Nah seriuosly, if you can and it is possible I would take her with you. Will do her good. Is she harness trained? If not, then try to train her before you go, then she can come out and about with you too, that would be fantastic!

Guest Gwydhyel

I have taken parrots in a caravan, and they enjoyed it. However, I would mention (sorry if it seems obvious) that they should never travel in a towed caravan in case of accidents, make sure there is room for their travel cage in the car. Caravans tend to disintegrate with any impact. Also, make sure you can pitch somewhere here there is shade. Small caravans can get very hot inside in Summer, and if you are out you can't leave windows open.

Hope this helps :)

Yes i was going to make sure that she could travel in the car.Thanks for pointing it out tho.Did you have any problems/worries with regards to leaving the parrots when you went out?We are a bit worried about people wanting to steal her.