Sign in to follow this  
Gemmz

Cheap palm nut oil? Think again

:( i had no idea......isnt the oil refined from the nuts?..what i am saying is without the nuts there would be no oil?......it isnt oil they are harvesting on the film its palmnuts?....i need to re think,i buy palm nuts too :oops: :oops:

The current "threat" from the palm nut/oil industry is biofuels, although the issues relating to food/soap etc are still valid. There are huge areas of Indonesia being de-forested to grow palm nuts for biofuels. I am pleased to note that the biofuel industry is now coming under scrutiny as, with many supposed "green" industries ( wind farms being my current "favourite"), they are often environmentally damaging whilst creating huge amounts of money for the companies involved.

As for palm nuts: the nuts we sell come from an "old" plantation where they are actually grown primarily for the oil and the husks are processed as cattle fodder.

We have been seriously considering the morality of selling palm nuts and will consider to do so. I understand anyone who decides not to buy them, however buying the oil/extract is not a more "green" alternative it seems.

Bought a bottle of palm and conola oil in Tesco's the other day. Will use it as I have it but no more. Never thought for a second its production could be causing this level of inhumanity.

I'l have to have a think about Davis's nuts.

I MEAN THE PALM NUTS!

Any plantation is replacing the indigenous (native) vegetation so therefore is destructive. It is a question of scale. The palm tree in question is native to Africa not Indonesia.