Sign in to follow this  
sparkkwing

Yet another possibly silly question? (Zinc)

Some of the most dangerous objects rich in zinc are the least obvious ones......with zinc unless the whole object is injested its usually the residue that does the harm either by licking,mouthing or injestion of particles /flakes,one of the most overlooked is pennies etc,they really give off alot of residue(ever tasted it on your own hands).There are heaps of household things that contain zinc....the rule is if your unsure dont risk it..just my opinion btw

Thanks Vicky and MMM - would never have thought that od pennies Vicky - will round up any loose change!

Oh dear! Going to have to break the news to hubby that mesh door he built to cover french windows will need changing and redoing - galvanised wire I am sure. And I know she has has a slight chew on them!

Right - on with checking through MMM's threads.

most aviaries are built using galvanised mesh....i did post a thread a while ago on how to treat it before you use it and believe me it works my mesh was white before it was scrubbed ....can find the tread at the mo

Thats great - thanks alot! Have been wandering around B&Q and shocked to see how just about everything seems to have zinc in it somewhere. Caught her with a big screw she had found amongst some things on my partner's desk, which was instantly confiscated. She seems to be drawn to anything as long as its metal in particular - and some things one cannot just chuck out or replace that easily. Hoped to find some large zinc free washers to attach some perches inside her cage but none to be seen.

What with everything else I have seen about toy safety in general, I think I am going to have to chuck out just about everything I have got.

Silly me - fancy thinking that getting a toy from a PET shop, labelled as SUITABLE for a PARROT, actually would be!

Grrr!

Guest ytagguk

hi, have you seen the stainless steel foot toys, i sell them and they are good grade stainless steel, i am looking for other stainless steel products but they are not easy to find.

Yvonne

hi, have you seen the stainless steel foot toys, i sell them and they are good grade stainless steel, i am looking for other stainless steel products but they are not easy to find.

Yvonne

Will indeed be ringing you with an order ytagguk! When her ladyship gives me a chance :shock: . Not so easy typing etc with one hand ha ha!

try screwfix.com for stainless steel washers etc

=D> =D> =D> You lot are wonderful - will be giving them a visit today - in cyberspace ha ha! Judging by the severe weather warning we have here, thats the only travelling I'l be doing. :shock:

Some of the most dangerous objects rich in zinc are the least obvious ones......with zinc unless the whole object is injested its usually the residue that does the harm either by licking,mouthing or injestion of particles /flakes,one of the most overlooked is pennies etc,they really give off alot of residue(ever tasted it on your own hands).There are heaps of household things that contain zinc....the rule is if your unsure dont risk it..just my opinion btw

Actually, British coins do not contain any zinc.

US and Canadian 'pennies' ( cent coins ) are copper over zinc, but British 'coppers' are copper over steel.

The nasty taste is a mixture of copper and whatever residues are on the surface from handling and corrosion.

Philip

Copper is also potentially toxic to birds although avian toxicity from this metal is less common. Acidic foods stored in copper containers may leach out copper, and occasionally copper piping for water is a potential source of increased copper in the diet if the water is slightly acidic and has been allowed to remain in contact with the piping for some length of time. Allowing the water from the tap to run for a few minutes before filling the water dishes will prevent this problem.

So regardless of whether they are copper or zinc, both metals are dangerous :roll:

Guest ytagguk

hi all, i dont know what our pennies contain, but being a duck person (i rescue ducks) i do know that if a duck swollows a penny, it's death.

along with nails, staples etc..... you would be suprised at what a duck will swollow.

stainless steel is my next project, i want stainless steel chain, wire, washers, and nuts and bolts.

so far all i have is the foot toys, these are good, and even the leather is good natural leather.

i do have some really good hanging stainless steel rod's/scewers coming in, not sure when, as they are coming from the USA but they are top grade stainless steel, THEY ARE BRILLIANT!! i have one, you lot will have to wait lol

stainless steel used to be all good quality but now there seems to be so much rubbish coming from china.

Yvonne