Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
vikky

Just a few christmas pointers for our birds

Recommended Posts

There are several things that you should keep well away from your birds during the holiday season. Pine needles from Christmas trees are non-toxic and usually harmless in regard to hazardous exposure concerns; however, they can scratch the throat if ingested.

 

The mixtures used for preserving Christmas trees usually contain some form of citric acid, alum, and maybe some other trace elements, as well as sugar (90-95 percent). The water that contains the preservative is toxic.

 

Most Christmas ornaments are made of plastic, metal, glass, Styrofoam and wood. Other Christmas ornaments, such as glitter, icicles, and tinsel can become toxic to a bird's body if ingested. The fluid-filled bubbling lights used as Christmas tree ornaments contain at least 50 percent methylene chloride. Methylene chloride is a respiratory tract and mucous membrane irritant and can cause headaches. Dermal contact may cause irritation and burns. If ingested, methylene chloride can cause central nervous system depression and respiratory failure.

 

 

Mistletoe is a Phoradendron species. Ingestion of any part of the plant usually leads to gastroenteritis but may also lead to hallucinations, hypotension or hypertension and seizures. The gastroenteritis can last for several hours. Holly (leaves and berries) and poinsettias are considered toxic and can cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Holly is from the Ilex genus, and all plants in that genus cause nausea and vomiting if eaten in large enough amounts.

 

Some tinsel or wrapping paper may contain lead in some of the inks that are used. If ingested, these could cause lead toxicity. The metallic salts that produce fireplace and log colors can be toxic if ingested, even in small amounts. Be sure the flue is open to avoid combustible vapors and carbon monoxide in the home.

 

Some candles on the market are made with wicks that have either lead bottoms or lead cores that emit potentially dangerous levels of lead into the air. Not all candles are made with wicks that have metallic cores. The practice is primarily used with candles that are designed to burn longer, such as scented or ceremonial candles. Lead was detected in small quantities in emissions from zinc-based wicks, suggesting that lead may be a common contaminant found in both the wick and the wax of candles made with these wicks. The levels of lead were small, but still could represent a health risk to birds over a long period of time. Don't burn scented candles as a bird's respiratory system is delicate and toxicity may result from using them in its presence. Petroleumbased candles can also emit toxic fumes. Use beeswax-based candles, as an alternative. I also advise against the use of incense, potpourri or any other items that carry a strong fragrance.

 

When you cook over the holidays (and at any Other time), beware of using Teflon-coated cookware. It can produce deadly toxic fumes if the pan or pot is burned dry. The accidental burning of pots and pans can happen easily and many bird deaths have resulted from the use of Teflon cookware. For households that contain birds, I recommend stainless steel, Pyrex glassware or titanium non-stick cookware."

 

 

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drink as much as you want,but remember falling over whilst holding your bird may damage it :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol:

But it does put a whole new twist on the game "upside down" that we play with our birdies! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are several things that you should keep well away from your birds during the holiday season :D

Vikky! You've not made any mention of Paxo! :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thankyou for cut'n'pasting that here Vikky and here's the original site if anyone wants to read more ...

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HKL/is_6_7/ai_76471209

 

Posted Image Can I just remind members that for legal reasons anything quoted or directly copied needs to be credited to the original site (preferably with a link too)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

had no idea you had to do that,is there a warning thread regarding this as i see it every other day?.....but in future will include the link.....must have taken you ages to find

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×