Sign in to follow this  
pinkclaire21

Jardine Parrot - Advice required please

Hi,

I currently have a Grey and a Senegal.. very happy family one is 9 and the Sennie is 7.

However, i'm a sucker for a sob story and i have just seen a 1 year old Jardine that is looking for a new home. I just really need some advice on the breed and also a fair price to pay for a silly tame bird.. he was hand reared and is gorgeous... but as i say i know very little about Jardine's and their value and i knew i would get good advice here!!

Many Thanks

Claire

Guest Jane Doe

Jardines are wonderful birds, I would recommed them, I have several. Regards to the price does he come with a large cage etc? Have they suggested a price? You can pm me if it helps.

Guest Gwydhyel

I have a 5 year old Jardine's, and although I can't help regarding prices, I can say that they are lovely. Summer behaves like an Amazon in every respect except the noise. She is very talkative, clever, learns things easily, very laid back, loves attention but is not clingy or demanding, is happy to entertain herself when necessary.

I hope this helps! :)

Guest Jane Doe

I think the price varies alot, some people have seen them for sale in petshops for more than £500! :shock: I'v seen a few for sale around the £350- £325 price, sometimes cheaper, it depends if the breeder reduces the price if the babies are getting older, alot of people want just weaned babies :roll: Like I say it will depend what he comes with as well, whether the cage he has is suitable or not. Jardines are good talkers, playful not clingy but like cuddles and attention, I don't think their personalities are much like greys.

Hi All,

Quite a positive response i see!!

Well he's in a little pet shop for £400 including toys and cage (quite small) would need replacing once he's settled in. I thought for a one year old that was quite high considering they had a hand reared baby in there for £350...

I left my number and i'll see if they come back to me... I can't afford to go any higher for him especially before xmas!

Thanks

Guest Jane Doe

For a shop that is a good price, I guess you have the advantage of paying on a credit card as well, get a 0% one for purchaces for 9 or 12 months and you have ages to pay it back. :) I'd ask why the baby handreared is only £350 see if they'd do a deal, maybe a deal on both birds! :P

I Think y partner would kill me if i took both!!!

And i don't do credit cards any more!! Have just enough in my savings for Charlie...

I think they are selling him on behalf of an individual.. apparently she has had a baby and needs the money :cry:

He is now sat in a pet shop all day and isn't coming out. The pet shop to be fair are very nice people and they agreed he would be better in a family environment but it's not their decision over the money unfortunately :cry:

Guest Jane Doe

Ah I see, well it's a fair price, fair considering it's a shop (they are always more expensive) and kind of a rescue, the bird is still strickly speaking a baby at a year old, he won't have all the colours comming through yet. Jardines are brilliant birds, very underated.

Guest Gwydhyel

All you can do is wait and see if there is some compromise from the owner. She must be paying the shop a daily rate to look after him, and I assume they are going to charge a percentage of the sale price for acting as agents - as is normal in these situations. She may decide a lower price quickly is better than hoping for a higher price in the run up to Christmas.

Fingers crossed for you :)

Hi Guys,

She has offered £300 without his cage and toys... now i don't know what to do... it's not a great cage but would have done until after christmas as he could come out onto my play stand..

The cage would have also been useful as a cage for when i go to Wales on hols (he could then come with!)

Do you think i should hold out?

Thanks for all your help :lol:

Well if you're going to buy him a new cage anyway - I'd do a cheeky ask on here if anyones got a spare cage lying around doing nothing :wink: I haven't unfortunately.

Guest Gwydhyel

I would say yes - and then ask what she thinks the cage will sell for. If anyone has looked at what they go for on ebay lately, it is quite hard to get a good price and those that hold out don't sell.

I sold a good parrot cage that went for £10.49 a few weeks ago.

Hi there,

I was "Adopted" by my first parrot 3 months ago. He's now 8 months old and an absolutely adorable Jardine's. I'm besotted with him, he's now so tame I can do almost whatever I like with him.

I've bought some great toys from Yvonne and after 10 minutes training he will pick an object up for me and give it to me on command!! What a star.

Everyone should have a Jardine's...

Good luck

Alison and ZU

Morning all!!

The lady has accepted £320 inlcuding his cage and toys!!!! I thought for the extra £20 that it was worthwhile!

I can then look for a new cage for him after xmas when finances allow.. I'm very excited! Going to collect him on Saturday!

And thanks Stephie for your kind offer.

Thanks for all your help as always!

f everyong has any tips with the Jardine's i.e. diet etc... then please feel free to let me know.

Thanks

You lucky thing,

Zu and I are very jealous!!!

Alison

Morning all!!

The lady has accepted £320 inlcuding his cage and toys!!!! I thought for the extra £20 that it was worthwhile!

I can then look for a new cage for him after xmas when finances allow.. I'm very excited! Going to collect him on Saturday!

And thanks Stephie for your kind offer.

Thanks for all your help as always!

f everyong has any tips with the Jardine's i.e. diet etc... then please feel free to let me know.

Thanks