Sign in to follow this  
Net

caique companion question - split topic

Split from here

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/14642-silly-tame-yellow-thighed-caiques-nottingham-sold/

Hi, I have a YT Caique and wondered about getting him a Caique friend. DO you think a BH Caique would be a good companion or should I stick with getting another YT Caique? Could you tell me if you have either babies and if so the prices and whether they have been sexed? Would you think a male or female would be better to get with my male who is nearly 2 years old? Also could you tell me if you deliver or meet to cut down on distance as I live in Somerset.

Many thanks

Stacey

I would think either would be OK. A female may be better with a male.

I think the Black Headed Caique might be sold at the weekend, hopefully.

The hand reared Yellow Thighed Caique I have available at the moment has been DNA sexed as a hen :)

For delivery I make a charge to cover my travelling costs, but I am willing to meet somewhere inbetween to help save some cost.

Guest choccyb

Ok thanks for the advice, would a BH and a YT breed then? what would you call the babies, black headed yellow thighs? lol. Would be nice for Rocky to have a girlfriend so prob would go for a yt then just to prevent any odd looking babies being produced altho am a little worried that he might lose his tameness with a girlfriend? Or is that just a myth?

Will stop asking so many questions now.

Thanks

Stacey

BH and YTC's will breed together, but in my opinion these hybrids look abit of a mess. You can call any babies what ever you like :lol:

They do not loose their tameness unless they start to breed, then when they go to nest they will most likely become very aggresive towards you, as they will want to protect their offspring. After rearing their young they will normally return to their earlier behaviour.

I have pairs with ex-pets who behave exactly like this :)

Guest choccyb

Mango has reverted back to not liking Rocky the last few days so i think they will just have a love hate relationship. He is much more a people parrot and craves my attention more than he likes to be with rocky.

I think at the moment, all things considered i will give it lots more thought and make a decision after christmas and see what happens then.

STacey

Personally, I would make a decision on you, not Rocky. Do you want another bird yourself? I always think of it as a bonus if one of my birds get on with another, but always base things on the worst case scenario. I know you have said before you struggle for room for two birds and saince then you have taken your moms bird in for a short period. So if you had three, and they all decided not to get on, could you cope with three cages? If you can cope then yeah no problem, but I never go wrong if I think worst case and anything else is a bonus!

Guest choccyb

Cage situation is that i iwould only have to fit in 2 as i have a double and a single cage in the house anyway. Charlie has now been rehomed which was not just that I couldnt fit him in, I have no experience with greys so it was best for him to go to someone who knows what they are doing with them. Also he didnt like other birds so had to be kept away in another room which was not practical really for me. I would love another bird and if they didnt get on then its not a big problem, the 2 caiques would have the double cage with divider in, and mango would have his old cage which is large.

Have decided that will leave the decision until next year anyway and see how things stand at that time. Taking everyones advice into account so thanks for everyones help.

Stacey xxx

Guest choccyb

They not in the house so doesnt really affect things where rocky and mango are concerned. I dont work so time is not an issue to care and give attention to the birds.

xxx

Hi All

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread, but this has made me think about our current birdie!

We've got a BH Caique (Alfie, our only bird) and he's been for his health check with the local avian vet. When I said that we're both out at work all day, he suggested thinking about getting another bird for Alfie. Alfie's in a large cage with plenty of toys (which I change around every couple of weeks). His cage is in the corner of the lounge, close enough to the window so he can look outside (and sit in the sun) but he can also move away from here and be in shade when he wants to. We leave the radio on all day (he can't see the TV from where his cage is!) and he's also opposite a large fish tank (which he sometimes sits next to when he's out of the cage and watch the goldfish) which should give him something else to look at. He's normally out of the cage from when we get home (around 17:30) until he goes to bed (around 20:30).

It wasn't until the vet suggested another bird that I thought about it, and now I can't get it out of my head! Do you think that Alfie is really happy being in his cage all day in this situation? He's tame and loves to be with us or close to us when he's out of the cage, so I definitely don't want to lose this side of him, but I also want him to be happy.

If he needs some company, should it be another parrot, or something completely different? How about something like a pair of finches in a cage next to his (out of his reach!) to keep him company? Would something like this not be "enough" company for him?

Any help or advice appreciated.

Steve