Sign in to follow this  
Anita Elisabetta R.

stainless steel cage:black deposit:Avian Adventure's Reply

Just before going in holiday I got a new cage for Pepe. It is the Chiquita stainless steel by Avian Adventures.

When I went to pick Pepe up at Mandy's she showed me that the cage leaves a black stain on paper/fingers/cloth when you clean it.

It loos like a very very fine sticky dust. It does only on the bars and not on all of them. does any of you got a stainless steel cage? Is this normal? Is it safe for Pepe beeing in it?

I have also noticed now that Pepe gets a bit blackish around the beak...I am a bit worried so he is back in his old one.

Please let me know if it is safe for Pepe the Chiquita cage, or if I have to contact the producer and find out!

Thanks

I have no experience of stainless steel cages at all but I know that when I worked in the school kitchen, when cleaning the stainless steel surfaces the cloths used to get black.

Is it just a trait of stainless steel?

I have no idea.

I would email the suppliers for clarification too.

It is most likely a residue of the machining oil from the manufacturing process.

A good wash with very hot water and strong washing up liquid will probably get it off.

I buy thousands of pounds worth of new catering equipment every year and getting black mark on your finger when you rub it, is quite common, it soon disappears with use.

The best thing to shine stainless with, is Johnsons Baby Oil - honestly!

Philip

Hello

I have 2 stainless avian adventures cages (had them for about a year and a half) and still get the black residue when I clean them. You can't see it on the cages, only on the cloth when you wipe them down and look at the cloth if that makes sense. If it's residue from the manufacturing process as P-and-S suggests, then perhaps I'm not cleaning them often enough :? :shock: :oops: :oops:

I'd be interested to see what the suppliers say all the same.

(I use supermarkets' own brand baby oil to clean all my kitchen stainless stuff and it works a treat)

Guest ytagguk

hi Anita, give me a call, i had the same cage, i can give you all the info you need

Yvonne

alot of modern imported stainless steel is nickel coated,and one of the traits of cleaning nickel is a black residue,alluminium leaves the same black residue,im not saying its nickel coated but i'd check to make sure.....the cage manufactureres are not lying when they say its stainless steel but some cage producers ,especially overseas have no obligation is saying its nickel coated stainless steel.......saying that though its probably just a carbon deposit which is used in the making of stainless steel.....be interesting to see what they say

Guest ytagguk

hi all, how nasty do you want LOL put it this way i would never buy a avian adventure cage again, and haveing had 10 months of dealing with avain adventures, i do not trust them at all.

i bought one of there stainless steel cages, a fortune spent but a good home for ollie, that would last a long time.

10 months later it was covered in rust, not just a little rust, but all over, little specks of rust all over the cage, i was devistated to say the least.

i contacted avain adventures, and was told mine was in a batch of faulty ones, and i would get a refund, then i was told to send pictures, and more pictures, and more pictures.

then i was told they wanted me to put citrisurf on the cage to see if this will stop the rust, i said NO i did not spend a small fortune for a cage, to have to coat it in a chemical, and wait to see if the rust would stop.

i did my own research, and found out from a company that avian adventure cages are made in china, and the people who have been making them have not been making the stainless steel in a good quality grade.

althought avain adventures knew they were at fault, they made it very difficult for me in getting a refund, in the end i got HALF what i paid for the cage.

their cages are still made in china, but they are suposed to be better quality now, but avain adventures do NOW say their cages are rust resistant, but not rust proof.

when i got my cage it was black, and i gave it a good wash, which i told Anita to do, stainless steel does go black when left, and this is natural, i also told anita not to use anything abrasive on the cage, as this can damage the stainless steel. (so avian adventures tell me) and i think it say's this now in the instructions avain adventures give with their cages.

i did clean mine with the abrasive side of a wash up sponge, LOL which could have help in it going rusty, but i wash my cuttlery all the time like this, and it does not go rusty.

avain adventures will tell anita, everything is fine, no matter what.

i have now got 2 montana cages, which i have had a year, and not a bit of rust to be seen. they are still like new.

Harry came in a montana cage that was 18mths old and that also was still like new, so i can reccommend montana cages.

regards Yvonne

Thank you Yvonne.

Before talking to Yvonne I sent an email to Avian Adventures and this is what I have got for reply:

"Good afternoon.

I am sorry to hear that you’re having some issues with your stainless steel Chiquita. The black substance is actually carbon dust and is not toxic, but can definitely be a nuisance. Without seeing the cage it’s hard for me to gauge the cause of the problem. I would recommend cleaning the cage and drying it thoroughly. If the black dust reappears, you may want to passivate the surface. There are a number of excellent products on the market, the one we recommend is Citrisurf 77 Plus by Stellar Solutions, http://www.stellarsolutions.net/. This is a nontoxic, citric acid based cleaner and passivator (so you get double benefits from using it) which should restore the surface of your cage to its original condition. I know that customers in the US can order single bottles of the solution from the manufacturer, and I see that they do have international distribution, including in the UK, but I do not know if those distributors sell directly to the public, and I would recommend contacting them directly for information about how to obtain single bottles of the product (or if they know of stores in your area which carry the Citrisurf 77 Plus).

Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions or concerns.

Kindly,

~Sarah Klein, ext 115"

Now I am going to give a wash in the way in which P-and-stold me at the beginning of this tread (as almost the same was suggested by Yvonne) and see what happen...At the moment between the cage and the holiday I cannot afford another cage..so Pepe is back in his old one!

Will keep you posted guys...thanks for your help!

There are lots of different " Stainless" steels.

The two most commonly used in the UK ( I can't speak for China) are called '430 Grade' and '304 Grade'.

One of those ( I'm 90% sure its '430' but I do get confused about which it is even though I've dealt with it for years!) , has a significant iron content and it does go rusty particularly if it is exposed to acids such as onion juice or kettle descalers. It isn't the whole sheet that goes rusty, just small brown pinpricks where the minute particles of iron are exposed on the surface of the metal. Over time, if left alone the brown stain will spread as the dots appear to join up, but it can be restored by scrubbing with a pan scourer. This will affect the surface finish, of course, and it won't stop it coming back.

Because of all this, 430 Grade is not used in decent quality catering equipment, but 304 Grade doesn't show the same problem. 304 Grade does still rub off black though!

Philip

Guest ytagguk

Anita, first thing avian adventures are out of order, you have a problem with your cage, its new, and its under guarantee for a year, you should not have to put on anything to restore the cage to its origanal condition, it should be in it's original condition,

it sounds like avain adventures are still useing a poor grade of stainless steel.

what ever you do DO NOT use a scourer, your guarantee will be invalid if you do.

get on to 24 parrots, tell them the cage is faulty, send them the reply you got from avian adventures.

they will i am sure change the cage for you, i would if i was you, get a montanna cage, they have a good stock of these at 24 parrots, and get a refund for the difference.

i am unsure how long you have had the cage, but i know it's not long, 24 parrots are very good, they will help you, DO NOT be fobbed off with having to repair, mess about, etc.... with the cage, ITS NEW!! you should not have to anything at all to a new cage.

ignor avian adventures, deal with 24 parrots, they have legal obligations to sort this out for you.

another option is to swop it for the same avian adventure model, but not in the stainless steel, and again they will refund you the difference.

anyone else thinking of buying one of these cages for christmas, DONT !!

stainless steel in not of the top quality now, like it used to be, i found this out from a stainless steel manufacturer.

so anyone who has an old stainless steel cage, this will more than likely last forever, but the stainless steel that is being produced in china is CRAP

Yvonne

Guest ytagguk

how long have you had the cage Anita, remember, dont waste your time with avian adventures, phone 24parrots, they really are a great company, and i always reccommend them to people.

i am sure they will look after you.

please let us all know how you get on,

PS i am posting your ladder today for you.

Yvonne xx

Hi Yvonne, I sent an email to Northern Parrot, with everything in it! I am waiting for they reply also got another message fro Avian Adventure:

"The cages are not nickel coated. My guess is the store, for some reason, swapped the trays and Playtop with a newer model of the same product (there has been a change in the polishing method, not the composition of the cage itself, resulting in that more shiny finish you noted). As I mentioned, it is safe, it’s just unsightly.

~Sarah Klein, ext 115

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 3:57 AM

To: Sarah Klein

Subject: RE: [bULK] black deposit on cloth left by your stainless steel cage: is that toxic to birds?

Hi,

the cage has been clean and kept as you say on the web site and still it does leave the black deposit. I need to know if it is safe for the bird beeing in it. The cage was completely new...it seems to me the the bars of the cage are different composition of the trays and the play top, which look more shine and also they do not leave the black deposit! Can you tell me if your cage are nickel coated, please?"

So will see......

PS

I had the cage for only 3 weeks...so it is new!!!