Sign in to follow this  
Paulie

Chamomile - merged thread

We have today purchased some dried chamomile flowers from a herbalists.

Its that time of year again when our Goffins, Zippy has started riving at his feathers. :roll: Someone on here posted about using chamomile for this problem and what we need to know is what is the best way to use it.

We try everything with this little man and he has made great progress, but his problem seems to be seasonal, possibly hormonal, and we know that if he takes his wing feathers off again and cant fly he will possibly revert back into his depressed shell.

Any input will be greatly appreciated

I have used chamomile tea on pluckers with some success. I just make up a cup as if for myself, add a little bit more water (makes approx 40ml)and use as the only drinking water for 5 days. 2 days after add the chamomile tea and the normal water for as long as you feel needed. I noticed a difference after about a week in the behavior of the bird, they seemed a lot more relaxed. I have another plucker here now, and starting him on it today. Taken some piccies before, and fingers crossed if it helps will show the piccies after :D

Guest ytagguk

hi paulie, i used twinings for harry, as you know when we got him he was well plucked, he used to get irritated more on a night time, with all the new pins coming through.

i made the tea strong, soaked it on bread, and gave it him on a night, it did work, it relaxed him.

he does not pluck now, all his feathers grew back very fast, and he has never plucked since,

but he's a busy boy now, he has a job, he is top toy tester, so that keeps him busy LOL

Yvonne xx

Thanks for all the replies,

I give zippy the twinnings just as a drink he loves it but dosent seem to help much to be honest this is why we went for the flowers...... Thought less diluted may be better :roll:

I leave it to cool before giving it to the birds, and no, it doesn't matter if it's cold, as long as it's not fridge cold if you know what I mean? Sorry didnt pick up on this earlier, the brand I have is twinnings, and it's fine! :D

Guest linds

I know this can be good instead of water on occasion but i can but it in tea bag or the flower itself, do you think there would be any difference?