Sign in to follow this  
chrissimichelle

hi all need some advice

have an cockatoo bought to me yesterday by someone on this forum who does not wished to be named i think from looking it is a male and is of 4 years going by his ring his beak is worrying me as it is slightly crooked and he cannot close it properly he can eat fine and is very cuddly and chatty im just wondering if this can progress into a bigger problem what would the vets do? im thinking of taking him in the morning let me know any people with disabled parrots out there have similar probs and how they have got treatment ta!

have an cockatoo bought to me yesterday by someone on this forum who does not wished to be named i think from looking it is a male and is of 4 years going by his ring his beak is worrying me as it is slightly crooked and he cannot close it properly he can eat fine and is very cuddly and chatty im just wondering if this can progress into a bigger problem what would the vets do? im thinking of taking him in the morning let me know any people with disabled parrots out there have similar probs and how they have got treatment ta!

What type of Cockatoo you are looking at? At first glance some of the Cockatoos like the Goffins or Bare eyed can look as though the beak is crooked. Without a picture or knowing the extent of the problem its difficult to say.

At four years old, depending on the species it might be difficult to know the sex of the bird.

Hope he is ok and keep us updated :)

Guest Jane Doe

Could you post a picture at all, just of the beak if you don't want to put a full picture on of the bird. The beak is growing all the time so if he's always been like this and never had to go to the vets for a beak trim I guess he is managing to wear it down okay. If it's from a recent trauma then you'd have to see how it goes and watch him to make sure he's managing okay. Probably with a large bird like a cockatoo they would want to put him under aneasetic and grind it down with a diamond disc, always a bit of a risk having an aneasetic, maybe toys to chew and thew types that help wear down the beak will help.

well i bought him out of guilt really,he was in a cockateil cage with no toys quite neglected realy so i fell for him and hes so cuddly and adorable he enjoys his new mansion and behaves so well when out of the cage he as so much love to give i dont know why he was neglected like this it is totally beyound me

Guest Jane Doe

Good for you, I hate it when people treat bird like that. :evil: Sounds like some chewing toys might help, he may be a bit phobic to them at first though if he's not used to toys you'll have to introduce them carefully.

Hi, crissi is this the same bird that you are selling on the follwing link:

http://www.giveusahome.com/discus/messages/9/19187.html?1194879709

Dont want to cause any problems just saw the ad and others that you have sold and had ads about cockatoos/others on both sites...

http://www.giveusahome.com/discus/messages/9/18820.html?1194683527

http://www.giveusahome.com/discus/messages/9/19208.html?1194536541

http://www.giveusahome.com/discus/messages/9/19269.html?1194824433

well i bought him out of guilt really,he was in a cockateil cage with no toys quite neglected realy so i fell for him and hes so cuddly and adorable he enjoys his new mansion and behaves so well when out of the cage he as so much love to give i dont know why he was neglected like this it is totally beyound me

You say in your original posting, that this bird was bought to you by someone on this forum who didnt want to be named? I think that what you have just said is a little bit sharp. If this person is off this forum and has sold you this bird for whatever reasons, then I would imagine they are really quiet upset if reading that...

Edited to say, this is only in my opinion..

no thats a different bird im selling on that site thanks for checking though lol, and gemmz i hope they are upset as theyre selling a yellow naped that has a lipoma on its leg

Why are you saying that ? Lipomas are benign tumours and they can occur at any time in any creature & are not a sign of neglect

I am not jumping in to cause any upset here, but after reading this thread yesterday and looking at previous posts by Chrissie I noticed that she has had a quite a few of what seem to be adult tame Cockatoos for sale.

Are these rescue birds that are being sold on ? :( :?

If I am mistaken , I apologise but the question had to be asked :roll:

thats ok paulie my mum had alot of adult cockatoos for sale which she breeds and she wanted to keep but as all too owners know they have a loud personality and her neighbours were not very compliant with this so witha environmental health order they had to go