Sign in to follow this  
james_uk

my parrot itches himself a lot with his feathers, is this ok

Hi, well its not just feathers, and he itches himself in general places he cant reach, i.e the back of his head, throwt area and by his eyes, he sometimes uses the stem from his millet but every other day or so i will catch him using this or feathers, if there is any about to poke at him self and he will have a good scratch with them, is this normal behavious or may he have something wrong?

James

Parrots (well, all birds) do spend a lot of time looking after their feathers to keep them in tip-top shape for flying. They also have to remove the brittle casing of any new feather which has completed growing.

You might notice your bird rubbing their head/break at a spot just above the tail? This is the preen gland which dispenses a powder that the bird will then spread through their feathers to help keep them in good condition..

And, yep, birds do use moulted feathers or whatever else they can find to scratch themselves with :)

If you think your bird is extra itchy try bathing or spraying daily?

Yes to MMM's Q :D

And no debrembell, :) I'm sure it's not an infection or irritation. Parrots love to have their heads scratched. They will bend their heads down to ask for it, from their human owner. :D If they are one of a pair they can scratch (preen) each others heads. (Again they can ask for it by bending their head down.)

If there's no-one available to do it for them they can learn to use a tool and treat themselves....using whatever comes to hand (sorry ..foot lol).

Here's another clip...

cgm, yep right on. Sonny has Cher and visa versa. when Son needs scratch, puts foot out and pushes Cher with his foot, then head down if to say "right here"--she always complies.

I gotta teach the girl more dominance!!! :D:D