Sign in to follow this  
Guest choccyb

Mangos mouth!!!!

Guest choccyb

Am having a volume control problem with Mango since coming back from Wales and wondered if anyone could offer some advice. I have tried the usual ignoring, walking out of the room at the volume peak and returning when quiet, responding to him with a work i want him to use when he is quiet and nothing when he is loud etc etc and am still working with them in the hope that this is a minor temporary glitch.

He is usually loud as I knew he would be, being a YC amazon, but only for the odd shout throughout the day, never continuouly or if it was, only for 5 mins or so in the morning and evening which is fine.

Since he has been away for the week whilst we were in Wales, he has turned into one almighty motor mouth!!!! He shouts from the minute my daughter comes down the stairs in the morning for most of the day until I cover him and Rocky over in the evening.

It is like a fog horn over and over again and is really driving me insane. It is upsetting my daughter a lot as it does hurt your ears after a while when you get the continuous ringing in your ears!!!

Now I have a couple of theories as to why this may be happening and wonder if any of you can enlighten me as to whether this may be the case and/or what can I do to change the situation.

Firstly, the cage is by the window. It was not there until a few days before we went away so could it be that he is shouting at birds/cats/movement he sees outside?

Secondly, I have my mums grey Charlie here at the moment (in another room) so could he have a problem with knowing Charlie is here? He sees him throughout the day but they are not out together. Charlie is not at all keen on my 2 so they dont get access to each other. My 2 are too enquisitive by far for Charlie.

Thirdly, there are a lot of birds where he went for the week we were away (his and Rockys breeder) so is he copying other birds by responding to noise with noise?

Help pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease as he could end up in a casserole accidentally whilst I am driven to insanity one evening!!!!!!!! lol

Stacey xxx

I think he has had a troublesome time .... cage move, being elsewhere while you were away and a new bird in your home.

It can only be about a fortnight since you came back so my advice would be to stick to one response and keep at it - it may well be too soon to see any change.

Also, this is worth a read ...

TRYING TO ALTER A BIRD'S BEHAVIOUR? a note of hope©:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/7094-trying-to-alter-a-birds-behaviour-a-note-of-hope%c2%a9/

= from the INFORMATION TOPICS© section: https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/

Guest choccyb

Ok thanks. Am sticking with it so will see how things go before i go out and buy some ear plugs lol. I didnt realise he could get hormonal at his age, he has only just turned one so think its prob more likely the changes he has had lately. xxx