Sign in to follow this  
Paulie

Fluorescent lighting

This may have been asked before but after reading another thread this morning, reference was made to a post made by Ron Vet :

Ron Vet

Posted: 01 Jul 2004 12:53 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Televisions - despite the recent press releases re "Videos for parrots" etc, TV may not be an appropriate medium for Parrots to watch .

Humans have a visual resolution of 24 frames per second. Anything flickering faster than 24 frames a second appears as a continually moving image, this is how Telly works by refreshing the picture 25 times a second.

Birds however have a resolution of up to 100 frames per second, and so the TV (25-30fps) will appear at best as a series of similar still images, or quite possibly [with most TVs] as a flickering strobe light which would potentially be bad for the birds wellbeing (and the same also applies for fluorescent lighting for the same reason).

Because of the way the image is produced, Plasma screens may be a better alternative (if you can affor one ), otherwise stick to radio/CD.

Ron

The piece about fluorescent lighting has now got me wondering as UV lighting for the birds is fluoescent. So is the lighting detrimental for parrots ?? :?

That`s a very contraversial subject . However the evidense I`ve seen suggests that the adverse effect of flicker depends on the frequency at which it occurs ( not the light frequency which determines the type of light ) . The suggestion is that the problems are less likely to occur using electronic circuitry so it is better to use the "bird lamps" or that if using tubes modern electronic control units rather than those using magnetic starters . Whether people could get round buying the electronic starters that have been available in the aquatic trade for some time I`m not sure ,or even whether that has even been considered !

So what are you saying that the benefits of UV from the bird lamps outweigh the problems caused by the flicker ? Can we assume that there is a school of thought that problems are caused by fluorescent lighting ?

For your information an electronic starter has the sole purpose of firing a fluorescent tube, once started the starter does nothing, so it would not have any effect on the frequency of the emitted light

your correct about the starters only functioning at start up but they are only part of the control unit the main part being the ballast of which there are different types and the more modern electronic types don`t use starter units . Also the electronic units actually cause the lamps/tubes to operate at a higher frequency with less flicker effect

this site gives a good description on how the different types of units work :-

http://members.misty.com/don/f-lamp.html#fb1

The positive effects of good lighting are well documented , & whilest some of the possible effects of flicker ( strobe effect ) are documented I understand that the favoured idea is that the positives exceed the negatives . It should be remembered that strobe effects only affect a minority of humans and the same apears also to be true for birds

Thank you stormbird.

This is something I've also become interested in since the post on whether parrots can and should have a TV to watch.

I've been reading the relevant bits in this huge article several times. :roll:

Most of the info is in the flicker sections and the starting section.

The parts about he non-visible flicker from fluorescent tubes powered by magnetic ballasts being associated with headaches and eyestrain, and the fact that the problems are not observed with electronic ballasts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescent_lamp

These articles have certainly made interesting reading and have answered a lot of questions. It seems that the modern electronic ballasts using much higher frequencies have greatly improved flicker :)

Thanks Stormbird and CGM