Sign in to follow this  
Mandyandflock

I despair!

My linnie and lovebird have been living together for well over a year now, and the really do get on well. I'm not a huge fan of mixing species generally, but these pair hit it off from the start, and since they had both lost partners I figure it was worth a try. Anyway, the last couple of weeks I noticed that the food bowl was getting emptied rather quick. Like in half a day the whole bowl would be empty, and the lovie was scratching in the bowl! I was actually thinking OMG there is something wrong if they are eating that much food. But when I empty the trays at the bottom I noticed most of the food was actually being emptied uneaten onto the floor. I figure that the scratching about is Sunny trying to make a nest in the bowl. So to try and stop this the only thing I could think of is by supplying something else for her to use as a nest. So tonight they got a nice little cozy hut. I just hope it distracts her from emptying the food bowl, for one it's getting rather expensive to feed these two little birds! :shock: OH, and if any eggs do turn up, they wont be nurtered into little babies...The last thing I need is babies!

In an ideal world I would too paulie, but I cant monitor their food intake at the moment. And the lovie is already using the food bowl as a nest anyway, so I cant see them harm in providing her with something else if it's gonna happen anway. :cry:

*phew*

They feed each other and everything, but I just believe that the lovie is a little nesty, the same as she would be being a single bird in a cage on her own. That's why i didnt see the harm in offering something alternative for her to make the nest.

Thanks for your help!

How about placing the food in a couple of very small hook on coop cups. You can get quite dinky ones. You could leave the other dish maybe with some small twiggy bits for your bird to play with instead. And hopefully she wouldn't try and sit in the small ones. lol hope....

Weeeell. actually since I've introduced the sleepy hut, it seems to have knocked her nestiness! She's not been piling the food out, so I can actually see what they are eating now, and they are not using the hut! So bit of a bonus, the moving around and introducing new things does actually work to stop the hormones! :D