Sign in to follow this  
Mastiffmum

Birdy Bed?

Do you think it would be a good idea to get my little man a birdy bed? He's still nervous of us and will not step up, although does take food from our hands. Or could this bring out some 'nesting' behaviour, as I do not actually know is Louis is a boy or girl? Just wondered if this might make him feel a bit more secure, or would it give him somewhere to hide and therefore hinder us trying to help him accept us.

One other thing, we have noticed that Louis will take a treat from our hands if held between thumb and finger, but if I put the treat on my flat hand, he backs away, telling us off. Is this usual? as we don not know his history, it's like a flat hand (ie banged on the side of his cage) has spooked him.

Some birds enjoy a hanging bed like the Snuggle Huts but they can encourage a female bird to lay eggs.

Perhaps create a darkened portion of the cage by placing a towel over some of it?

That means your bird can retire and peep out at the world if he/she chooses and may go some way toward indicating whether he/she would like a birdy bed.

Yes Net our conures have always loved their birdy havens and I also think they stop draughts. Dont know about amazons though.

Ive never heard of a problem with birds egg laying in them