Sign in to follow this  
P-and-s

How to stop ear biting?

We could do with some advice please on how to stop Merlin biting my ears! I'm sure I've seen something on this somewhere but can't find it now?

The problem we ( I!) have is that Merlin will always fly to me as soon as he gets a chance - he often lands on my shoulder and almost immediately bites my ears, which is p-p-p-painful to put it mildly! It is NOT an attack, it is just that he seems irresistably fascinated by the texture/feel of ears.

With a CAG beak buried in your ear, restraint is not easy and my natural reaction is to shake him off. Now that may not, in theory, be the best way of dealing with the situation, but the alternative of wandering around and trying to find something to distract him so that he will let go, is not a viable option!

Any suggestions?

Philip

:lol::lol: ear muffs? :lol::lol: :roll: :D/ :D/

yeah...right...that is the problem, though, with Susie's long hair he rarely gets to chew those so mine are even more attractive!

Seriously though, even if he lands on my arm...ears are still the number one attraction. He will even walk down my arm if I raise it above shoulder level, instead of going uphill which all the books say he is "supposed" to do.

i had this with my ekkie when i first got her and now sorted it by being quite strict as in i never let her on my shoulder at all she is allowed on my chest for a cuddle but that is as far as it goes!

Little monkey,

We have the same problem, my hair is long so Miller can't get to my ears, but he loves a go at hubby's. He is forbidden from going on shoulders, Warren gets his hand ready on his shoulder for the "landing strip" of any parrot, then swiftly moves the bird away from ear reach!!

Give that a go?

Rachel

Guest Jane Doe

Is your Caique still being naughty Net? Caiques are flipping quick aren't they, they bite like cockatoos as well as in don't let go! :shock: My ones hormones have kicked in for the first time as well. :roll:

I've got the exact same problem with one of my cags. A determined parrot is very difficult to fend off :( I have even considered wearing a hat at home :roll: It doesn't matter how many times I take Gem off my shoulder, whithin a split second he's right back up there hunting out my ears :shock: They are his all time favourite toy :oops: If he can't get on my shoulder he lands on my head and leans over and gets them :shock: :evil:

Top of my head is the favourite place so far, but she is removed everytime, grumbling as we go. Also when Willow (baby cag) is sitting on my hand, she somehow gets up there again the second my attention is elsewhere - and is having a go at my ears as I type - little bu--er (which will be her first words at this rate). Also sees my nose stud as a personal challenge.

Also sees my nose stud as a personal challenge.

My little Quaker does that and once he dropped it in the bottom of one of the cages....took me ages to find it PMSL :lol::lol::lol:

one of our greys loves the ears and all we have done is remove him and tell him "no" and it seems to have paid off as now he sits there no probs