Sign in to follow this  
student1

Odd Behaviour - (eclectus)

Hi all, I hope you can help with this, although it's not unduly worrying!

We've had Diesel for about 7 weeks now, he's coming along nicely, just started to ask to come sit on us. When he does, we don't allow him on our head, but he like to sit on your arm. He will sometimes rest the top half of his beak on something, like the edge of the table, my other hand, my ring and move the bottom of his beak up and down very fast. Other times he scratches his beak up and down between two of my fingers, he's doing it now on my thumb, sometimes he will nip, but others he's quite gentle. Have I got a mentally disturbed parrot? or could he be sexually attracted to my hands? :shock:

Just had a look to see what type of bird it was and OMG he's all beak! LOL Sooooo adorable!

I would say it's a sexual thing personally, I know that thing is with the greys, the males rub their beaks all over my hand, then start regurging! :shock:

I would say it's a sexual thing personally,

:lol: I did wonder!! it's just started today...maybe it's my red jumper :shock:

He wouldn't go away just now, I had to bribe him with a piece of pasta, I'm trying to write as essay!!

Sage does that a lot too, he will do it on many things, i always thought it was just feeling different textures. He is always regurgitating for Darren, it doesn't smell pleasant 2nd time round lol, nice to see another ekkie on the block :-)

Hayley - Ive already got an Ekkie - Pharrell :lol: (one's enuff :roll: lol) as hes only 11 months old so im sure i'll have all that regurgitating stuff to come! lol lol

The lady I rescued Diesel from said he was about 4, but obviously I have no way of knowing. We've had two break throughs today, the 1sr was he ate a grape!! and now he's asking to come out! hooray!

Hi, I just wanted to let everyone know it wasn't a one off yesterday, Diesel is still heaqd bobbing, regurgitating and doing a little dance today! ( I think someone snuck in Tues night and swapped my grumpy bu**er for a randy so and so!)

He also said something new last night "What you doin?" as I was preparing dinner, had me in fits!!

When I took Diesel on I wasn't 100% sure I wanted to keep him, he's a big commitment, the original plan was to get his feather right, and rehome him. I think he might turn in to a permanant resident at this rate!

My Ekkie has me in stitches every day. They are brilliant (apart from their bites!! lol) and i wouldnt swap my one for anything.

Once they start chatting to you they dont stop!!! lol

My Ekkie has me in stitches every day. They are brilliant (apart from their bites!! lol) and i wouldnt swap my one for anything.

Once they start chatting to you they dont stop!!! lol

I have to agree with Elle there, my Charlie makes me laugh every day, he's so funny!

But when they bite They DO bite!!

Thats very interesting about the bites, I've only had one so far thats caused a mark! maybe I should not speak too soon :?

If he's feeling randy, as I assume he is when he regurgitates food, well he not get fustrated if he's not got a girlfriend? :oops:

ive had 2 bites that have broken the skin and left scars (1 on each hand), but i also find that he doesnt realise the strength of his own beak, so alot of the time some of the nips are not intentional to hurt...........but ooh they do. Pharrell has got this thing where he pretends to kiss my cheek but then does a playful tiny pinch with his beak.............my gawd that blimmin hurts!!! :shock:

He's bit my mum a couple of times and left huge bruises on her arms.

Pharrell is a very loving bird though and always kissing me.

Cant answer the question about Diesel getting frustrated as havent got to that stage yet with Pharrell :lol::lol:

Cant answer the question about Diesel getting frustrated as havent got to that stage yet with Pharrell :lol::lol:

It just made me think, because thats one of the reasons they suggest dogs being castrated.. to reduce fustration!

I've ordered him some more toys so hopefully they'll distract him!!