Sign in to follow this  
rabbitalot30

chestnuts

mine are chomping through there first lot of sweet chestnuts for this xmas - this year it says on the packet to keep them in the fridge

have done so - but is this normal? or just another ott h&s issue?

chestnuts:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/9188-chestnuts/

I usually just keep mine in a cool dark cupboard - never enough room in the fridge.

Remember SWEET CHESTNUTS are fine - the ones you'd buy from your supermarket - HORSE CHESTNUTS ie CONKERS are not safe.

conkers and chestnuts are completely different but look very simular have you ever eaten a horse chestnut roasted on an open fire or in the oven because you CAN'T EAT CONKERS!!!

Supp, you could put them in the oven ?

I really havent a clue how you cook them, or even if you have to ?

On another note - isnt Xmas fab :) So many goodies in the isles for the parrots, but no brazil's in shells @ Sainsburys. I asked why they didnt have any, but I drew a blank when I mentioned my parrots prefer them in the shell :)

Is it a public safety issue ? People getting maimed by flying brazil shells when you crack them 0_o

we put a little slit in the outer layer and put them in the microwave to cook them. if you dont slit them 1st they will blow up !

tesco have the brazils in shells in their "loose mixed nuts" but dont come to ours, they have no brazils left in them :oops:

On another note - isnt Xmas fab :) So many goodies in the isles for the parrots, but no brazil's in shells @ Sainsburys. I asked why they didnt have any, but I drew a blank when I mentioned my parrots prefer them in the shell :)

Is it a public safety issue ? People getting maimed by flying brazil shells when you crack them 0_o

This thread has the answer - from our guru David :D

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/11124-brazils-in-shells/