Sign in to follow this  
suebarrass

Agh help Spike is lumpy- a happy update

This morning spikes pink patch on the top of his nose looked a bit red and we thought he had just rubbed it on something, but by this afternoon he was coming up in lumps all over his head. They are obviously itching him as he has scratched the ones on his nose and made them bleed, rang vet who advised giving him some anti histamine and seeing how he goes overnight. He is fine in himself, eating drinking playing etc, it seems like an allergic reaction but to what we dont know. Vet doesnt think it is anything he has eaten as they are only on his head, probably more likely to be something he has put his head in while he has been out.

Any one got any ideas what we can do to ease it?

Guest showgirl

Urticaria..you often see it in short coated breeds, Amber has had this on several occassions..its better to let the anti-histamines work from within, putting anything topically on the skin tends not to have much effect. If the area feels hot, you could sponge him with cool boiled water and salt (1tsp salt to 1pt of coll boiled water). Hope Spike feels better soon. :(

How long should the anti histamines take to ease it Wendy any idea, should i take him to the vets if he isnt ill or just give the anti histamines for a day or so and wait and see. He is on childrens priton sugar free

Guest showgirl

He would be better given antihistamines in conjuction with anti-inflammtories..something like prednisilone would clear it up asap..the itching should be starting to die down by now..the problem often from urticaria is not the urticaria itself but the damage the dog does to the skin from scratching and rubbing. See how he is in the morning and take it from there.

Tell me about it his face is a mess every time no one is looking he scratches it, would i have to get the anti inflamatories from the vets or can i get some at the chemist like the pririton Wendy. If i need to get it from the vets will have to try and get an appointment tomorrow but they are a bit slow if it isnt an emergency at my vets

Guest showgirl

You would have to get them at the vet..they are POM drugs...they wont sell them over the counter. Poor Spike. :(

Awwww poor Spike, his nose looks so sore, have the vets said what caused the infection?

Those buster collars are a nightmare, but he will soon get used to it!

Give Spike a HUGE cuddle from me wont you?

We are back to vets tomorrow afternoon with Spike so will let you all know how he is, poor baby. To be honest i dont think that it looks that much better but we will see what the vets says, his nose must be realy itchy, it is comical to see him trying to find something that will go into the collar to scratch on, bless.

The vet visit was a mix of good and not so good really, the infection seems to be responding slightly to the anti-biotics but not well enough, so they pulled some of the scab off his poor muzzle and tried to wash out some of the infection. He was so good and just sat there and let them do it, he is now on another anti-biotic for another week and has to go back next friday.

I could not beleive how good he was as his muzzle is obviously sore, the vet said that staffies have a bad reputation unjustly in his opinion, he said that he wouldnt have even attempted that on many of the so called freindly breeds without a sedation.

Oh well he is tucked up in bed now and we will have to see what another week brings.

The anti-biotic he is on is Cephalexin twice a day Wendy dont know if you know that one, it is a lovely pink colour but obviously tastes disgusting by the look on his face when he has one lol

This morning spikes pink patch on the top of his nose looked a bit red and we thought he had just rubbed it on something, but by this afternoon he was coming up in lumps all over his head. They are obviously itching him as he has scratched the ones on his nose and made them bleed, rang vet who advised giving him some anti histamine and seeing how he goes overnight. He is fine in himself, eating drinking playing etc, it seems like an allergic reaction but to what we dont know. Vet doesnt think it is anything he has eaten as they are only on his head, probably more likely to be something he has put his head in while he has been out.

Any one got any ideas what we can do to ease it?

Sue, You havent used any spot on treatments recently have you ?

Ive heard of two cases recently where one particular brand of spot on had caused a similar reaction