Sign in to follow this  
cheersm8

Clicker training: Typical of a Parrot huh?

Well, I got my clicker, and a very attentive, fun, playful, etc etc CAG to try my hand at this well praised and documented method of training.

Sounds great doesn't it?

It would have been, except for the fact that Gucci the grey completely ignores any kind of reward treat I offer, and I've been through the lot!

She absolutely loves the clicker and would move mountains to get hold of the thing and play "make me pick it up again"!

Oh well, I suppose I'm not going to have a clicker trained birdy, but it's no loss really, I just wanted to see the results for myself, at first hand.

My new plan for the clicker is to use it to take to tesco's when I'm stuck behind a queue of natterers at the checkout. :mrgreen:

Same here with Alfie, my Black Headed Caique. I can't find anything which he'll go mad for. Sometimes he takes the treat, and other times, he simply ignores it!

Steve

If he was spoon fed try offering soft food from the spoon. That was the only thing that worked with my parrot...

Good tip Noora! I did try warmed blueberries ( her "weaning fruit" ) and it got positive results, and also, a white living room rug with purple splatters all over it, so I gave up on that one. Spoon fed mashed banana seems a good alternative.

Hmm - they don't work when the parrot refuses to accept that the unshelled ones are exactly the same as the shelled ones which they absolutely loved!! :?