Sign in to follow this  
suebarrass

Firefox

Question

After hearing people on here praise this i downloaded it a couple of days ago but i am having trouble with it, when i try to come on here it asks for name and password then after you put it in and press submit it says done but nothing happens. This happens on a few sites it asks for the passwords but doesnt put you on the site. I have to keep going back to ie to get on anywhere.

Where am i going wrong i have uninstalled it and re installed it in case it had not loaded properly so now i am stumped any ideas??

16 answers to this question

Maybe you need to look at the cookie and other similar settings?

Go to Tools--> Options and then the various tabs, which give you such options as accepting cookies, remembering passwords, allowing pop-ups, filtering dodgy content, etc.

right i have cleaned out everything and it is only this site that i cannot sign into with firefox when it asks for user name and password i type them in press submit comes up and says done at the bottom of page but it has not actually done anything and i am not signed in. So i give up lol

Hmm. Try making a new profile for firefox. Close firefox completely (file > Exit) > go to your run menu (windows key + R) and then type in the following; firefox.exe -ProfileManager > click OK. > Click 'create profile' > name it Test > click OK and it will start up firefox again but from a new profile which is absolutely clean of settings etc.

Try that and let me know if it works. If it does I will explain how to import your bookmarks etc from your old profile to your new :)

LOL it wasn't techie talk ;) OK I'll try putting more friendly...

go to start, click run, type in the following (excluding quotes) "firefox.exe -ProfileManager" click ok, that will open a box for firefox profile manager. Click on 'create profile' a box will pop up where you can enter a name. Enter Test or something you know isn't default. Press ok, the box closes, then click OK to close the big box left. Firefox will then open with no settings what so ever saved.

Let me know if that works, if so, we can work on later on how to get the bookmarks back.

I'm keeping a careful eye on this thread as I too was told to make a separate profile recently to cure my back button (which sometimes fails to work but I chickened out as I didn't have a clue how to transfer all my precious bookmarks, customizations and extensions etc

Roz - Bookmarks is easy. Just go to the bookmarks tab at the tab then click organise bookmarks. You then have the option to export. You can do that by clicking file then export. Just save it somewhere easy like your desktop or something. Once you change profile you do the same thing but 'import' instead and presto. As for the other customisations, you have to get them back manually I'm afraid.

Sue - lol ok.

The problem that i have is that i am not confident with the computer and am always afraid of messing it all up. I am one of those press the button and if it comes on good if not panic lol

Well Im ok with computers, everybody at work asks me how to sort stuff so if anybody wants to put on here how to advise on this particular problem Im willing to digest it into an easier to follow option for Sue and Roz.

Where is the disclaimer? :wink: 8)