Sign in to follow this  
sparkkwing

This could be another silly question - diapers?

Guest Jane Doe

I'd getting bitten to shreds if I attempted to put those on my birds! :shock: Birds poo isn't an issue here as they have their own room. When I do have birds out of the birdroom I just clean up any droppings they do with poop off and kitchen towel. birds can be messy and dusty and create cleaning but then what pets don't, it's all part of living with them.

Guest Gwydhyel

I have seen them before, but they look like a ridiculous (typically American) gimmick to me. I would rather encourage the bird to go in the right place than mess about with these things.

Summer learned very quickly, and 9 times out of 10 goes back to her cage to poop. I just have kitchen roll handy for the odd accident, and have a towel draped over the back of the sofa.

thats the beauty of wooden floors and leather furniture..poop does nothing and its easy to wipe up as for the dust well an air purifier takes care of that

Hi!!

I've got one!!!

lololol

I've never used it - I've never even tried.

The idea of them has never been popular on here, in fact most people consider the idea horrid, and they worry about the poop drying over their birdies vent and making them ill.

However when they were discussed a few times a few years ago and one came up on e-bay (from a seller in England) I couldn't resist - so I bought it.

It had never been used, exactly, but it had a few beak holes in it. :lol::lol::lol: .

It was silver, so if I'd used it on my CAG it would have been fairly invisible.

To play devil's advocate here, the reason why they were first invented was because the family had to travel across the States a lot, and stay in hotels a lot. They took their birds and hated to have to keep them in their cages all the time. However they really didn't think it was acceptable (or hygenic) to have them out and pooping in hotel rooms.

Someone on here did get and successfully use one. She didn't use it all the time - just when needed.

I'm trying to remember the details- she e-mailed me a couple of times about it. I think maybe it meant they could at last take him to m-in-l's whenever they went....(?)

I'll try and find it.

:D:D

Well Ive had a look through some old posts and been reminded of what's been said in the past.

They were originally designed as diapers. However people who bought them started to ask for leads to go on them, so they could be used as harnesses outside, as well as diapers inside.

In the states they are really still bought as diapers.

Over here the people on the forum who've successfully used them have tended to use them as harnesses, because they are softer and lighter and comfortable on their birds. They tend to consider the diaper bit to be a bonus, not the reason to have one in the first place.

:D

:D

The people on here who used them were all very pleased with them and said they were so much easier to put on, than any of the conventional harnesses.

I have just thought of one extra potential problem.

It's always a worry if a parrot wearing a lead and harness escapes, brcause the lead could get caught on e.g. branches, but a bird wearing a flight suit would suffer from the trapped poop collecting and collecting, as well as the lead (if it was fitted at the time) getting caught in branches.

Horrible thought cgm!

I don't like them.

But thinking about it as a harness alternative, short term, not so bad. Especially if the vent area were left clear:-)

Oh and maybe as a vest for plucked birds....still with the vent area removed:-)

It's the people who use them to keep their houses clean...and there are people who do just that and make poor excuses for it, and the poor birds wearing them for hours on end. Even if they changed the "diaper" regularly.

They must get hot too, with all the feathers and another layer.

These are more commonly known as flight suits aren't they and yep it seems more popular in american. They also use them as harneses there too. I've seen them on YouTube. If you search flight suits you'll see tons of (American) sites with them. *I* think they're stupid, but hubby would probably like :lol:

thats the beauty of wooden floors and leather furniture..poop does nothing and its easy to wipe up as for the dust well an air purifier takes care of that

PMSL totally agree

And don't forget the 'cute' (?) outfits - little santa costume or Uncle Sam for a particularly patriotic American parrot!

They actually claim to be especially shaped around the gusset, I mean vent, to allow poop to be kept 'away' from the bird, with little liners. Can see that it would be useful if you were going to friends' house for W/E and taking your best mate with you (which I intend to do) but will probably just take a pack of birdy wipes and pair of glasses to spot it ha ha!

Anyway, poop situation now much better as she obviously had squits - my fault for giving her the odd thing she was begging for, when it contained a little milk! Yet another lesson! Doh!

Can't help wondering if wearing them could cause skin irritation and increase risk of feather plucking?

They actually claim to be especially shaped around the gusset' date=' I mean vent, to allow poop to be kept 'away' from the bird, with little liners.

Yes, they are shaped like that.

I would say that from the front they resemble a swimming costume with little elastic straps over the shoulders, until you look down to between the legs. Then you see that the costume is elongated backwards, following the line of the tail. So it's actually longer than the body of the bird.

This extra bit is the 'pocket' which holds the liner.

You can see it fairly well if you look at the videos on the web site.