Sign in to follow this  
Greenwingmax

Very strong bird carriers?

Hi everyone,

I have been looking for a couple of very strong macaw carriers for my two greenwings, which need to be IATA (airplane) approved for when we go to Canada. So far, the companies that have quoted to move them seem to be offering wooden (!) boxes, and it's a long way for them to have chewed out and fly off when the hold on the plane is opened....

Does anyone know where I can get a couple of metal / thick plastic IATA carriers??

Thanks!

Rachel

http://www.nextag.co.uk/Cages-Stands--zz2702030z2z525985517zB2dgz5---html

Bird Carriers for Macaws and Cockatoos

Macaw's have special needs in a bird travel carrier. Due to their long tail and strong beak, they need require tall, sturdy bird carriers. Having a cramped tail is not only against IATA regulations, it also is uncomfortable for parrots.

I didnt think we could export what with bird flu etc or is it just Europe?

Are you emigrating and leaving us all behind Rachel? If so can you order a carrier for me. Im only 5 foot 1 and a bit, dont mind crouching in the cargo hold lol!!!

hi, i think that you will find wooden boxes with a partial grill are the best.

and screw the box when the birds are inside so it canot be opened by any tom **** or harry, as we know birds are ccrafty little so and so,s and on a long flight with nothing else to do they might just manage to get any "bird proof" catch undone.check with the airline as they will have approved sizes.

I have experience with the veterinary check all birds have to go through before export (some of the birds were HUGE and very scary) and they were all in wooden crates.

Have a look at this pet export firm's information on carrriers (the first two headings under ABOUT US):

http://www.parair.co.uk/

They ship birds and make their own crates. I would think they have a good idea of the needs of a macaw. (?)

You could ask them about your concerns.

When we were trying to send out grey to the States I found them very helpful and knowledgable. I spoke to them several times on the phone.

There aren't that many firms which ship birds.

If you find that everyone still says to use a wooden crate and you're still really worried maybe you could try asking the Animal Reception Centre at Heathrow for their advice/opinion. They receive millions of animals which have been transported by air and must have seen everything by now!

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/our_services/health_safety/Heathrow_animal_reception_centre.htm

You can e-mail them at

HARC.GeneralEnq@cityoflondon.gov.uk

This isn't something I've done before, so it's just a suggestion.

:)

Thanks everyone, some great replies there, I'll get researching.

I currently use a large thick plastic carrier (for a dog) with a perch screwed in, but these don't even make the trip to holiday homes unscathed, never mind another continent!

S/gooner, yes I intend to make my move spring - mid next year, but I need to be really organised as I don't want anything to go wrong, it's too far for them to not be accepted after 3 hours in the car and 5 hours on a plane.

Ps - Our avian vet says there has to be no recorded cases of bird flu in England for 90 days before we fly, or they won't let us go, so fingers crossed. I read somewhere bird flu is more likelly in the migratory periods, so I hope we fall lucky!

Rachel