Sign in to follow this  
Guest showgirl

Few case studies

Guest showgirl

I have been working with 4 different birds over the past few months, these birds all have behavioural and nutritional problems and have issues with biting.

Sal - OW Amazon, Sex unknown, 11y old, poor feather condition, scurvy skin and nails/beak dry/cracking/flaky - grossly overweight, very uptight bird, screeches for long periods throughout the day..poor eater..mainly seed..occassional grape/piece of apple. Bites with no warning..one word to sum him up - GRUMPY!

Diva - CAG 18m old, SS Female, good feather condition, good weight but little muscle - BITES..as many times in the day as she can!!! Poor nutrition..seed only..often wont leave cage.

Cleo - YTC - 6y old, Sex unknown, good feather condition, eats well, but screeching MAJOR problem..faces being sold on due to noise problems. Diet good..varied and will try new foods. Bites on occassion.

Garv - CAG - 43y old Sex unknown (suspect male) - ok feather condition, ok diet, poor eater..though little variety. Not handleable due to fear and biting.

Having talked to each owner at length regarding diet, stimulation, cage size, location of cage, various changes were put in place. Diet was probably the second largest change in the birds lives..we put exercise ahead of diet and i am astounded at the results..all the birds have improved in nature and in the amounts they have been eating, Garv changed the least, but has shown improvement in that he has eaten more in the day..he was the hardest to handle, but to be fair to the owners he was taken from his cage EVERY day and has flown EVERY day..poor, very short flights at the beginning, but is currently managing about 2mins flight without gasping for breath..owners also advised not to smoke near bird anymore..regular baths are helping. Some changes with Sal, improved eating of the right sort of food, weight loss (hurrah - he was like an Albatross!!) - drastic cut down of junk food and he has managed several flights. Biggest changes were with Diva and Cleo...eating much better, they loved the exercise and the interaction, new cage for Cleo and change of position in the house, screaming reduced to 2/3 times per day..biting improved.

I could go on noting every detail that i wrote down, but you'd get very bored!!! There was a change in the feather condition of all the birds and they just seemed happier and more content..i knwo diet plays a massive part, but i have to say that i think exercise made the birds hungrier, made them less bored and less aggressive.

Just a few observations. :)

Hi, how would you increase the exercise of a parrot? I mean, if they choose not to fly? I have an Eclectus who is out of his cage for much of the day but just sits on top, we've only had him about 5 weeks, so he's still getting used to us. I hope to get him an activity perch to encorage climbing, but he shows very little interest in any toys. The only thing that perks him up is junk food! (he begs for it, but doesn't get any!!)

I have bungy ropes, double hoop rings, rope swing ring etc all hanging from the various door frames in my flat. My parrot loves nothing more than to fly from one to another and follows me all around the place. Probably not practical for most households but seeing as its just me and the pets my house is converted into one big play area for them all! :wink:

interesting reading..........that just confirms what i have always thought.........i think diet and exscercise should go hand in hand,but dont forget that in the case of an adult bird that has been neglected of these and is undernourished and unfit,this should be done gradually........ these should be the most basic of rights that we allow our birds to have,or as seen,you are opening the door to all kinds of problems you might not neaccasarily associate with a poor diet and lack of exsersice

Guest showgirl

We increased gently the exercise of all the birds using different methods, for the ones that would fly, they were given the opportunity to do so every day..for 3 out of the 4 birds..they got no exercise at all prior to trying this..so it was easy to increase when they were used to nothing. For the birds not keen o fly, we encouraged them to walk, climb etc..i have to say that the owners that took part in this have worked incredibly hard with their birds, not only from a cooking/feeding point of view but also having to handle birds unkeen to be handled..but they all stuck at it and are keen to keep on trying for the future. Very heartening! We used ladders and poles with dowling 'perches' to encourage climbing etc.

It has long been my belief that a lot of problems in animals, be it cats, birds, dogs etc can be greatly helped by increasing exercise..physically tired animals like physically tired people tend to be happier and fitter, less argumentative and i guess they get a release of endorphins as we do after exercise.

I have really enjoyed looking/seeing/hearing the results of this. :D

It has long been my belief that a lot of problems in animals, be it cats, birds, dogs etc can be greatly helped by increasing exercise..physically tired animals like physically tired people tend to be happier and fitter, less argumentative and i guess they get a release of endorphins as we do after exercise.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Its true, I need to exercise myself more, then I may be tired at night time!

Interesting stuff 8):)

Guest showgirl

A large percentage of the problems that we see especially in dogs are diluted to some degree and in some cases completely stopped purely by increasing excercise..people underestimate just how important it is. I know from a parrot point of view that when Ruby started going through a bit of a stroppy phase a few months back that within a month she was back being like she was after periods of intensive exercise. Ozzy also needs a lot of exercise, underexercised he gets bored and looks for other things to do.

I think all animals bore very easily. In the wild their days would be spent searching for food or play fighting. We pet owners need to try our best to mimic this as much as is possible to make their lives fun and fulfilled.

People who get a dog or parrot and expect it to sit in a corner all day and do nothing need their heads testing!

Also agress 100%

We have noted that Charlie seems much happier in himself now he is on a good diet and is even starting to let me clean his cage without trying to rip my face off lol, the only problem we have is that like Student1 says he will not fly. He can fly as he has done it twice but chooses to just climb all over the outside of his cage when out, he will not even fly to my son (who he loves), as he doesnt like to be handled what is the answer?

There are many birds who are happy not to fly. They choose to waddle/climb about and are happy.

How old is Charlie Sue? Do you know if he was ever clipped before he came to you?

Guest showgirl

This was one area that we ran into problems, we had several birds not happy to be handled..the only way to encourage movement/flight was to towel the bird and take it further away from where it wanted to be, not ideal i know..but..within a week of doing this the birds accepted this 'handling' and some would fly or in the case of Sal..well...he waddled..but it was still exercise. Flying will come in time, with confidence and with strength. He sounds like he is coming on well, Sue.

According to the couple we bought him from he is 5, no idea about clipping in his past they hadn't clipped him in the 2 years they had him Sharon.

The problem with the towelling Wendy is that he is so scared of anything coming towards him that he just panics and frantically scambles around the cage, as we are trying to get his trust i would be reluctant to scare him that way.

We are thinking of getting him a stand for christmas so maybe we can get him to go from that to his cage, my son has picked him up before and placed him on the settee back and he flew back to his cage so maybe it will have to be him that gets him to fly.

It sounds just like Freddie, Dave can do what he wants to him, pick him up, move him around, but I cant. I wonder if the inability to fly encourages a bird to trust just one "helper"?

Hmm interesting idea, from the moment we got Charlie he instantly let my son stroke him and will regurgitate for him, my other son and me he tolerates he will take food from us and sometimes will let you give him a scratch through the bars of his cage but not when he is out.

We have noticed some disturbing things as he has started to get more vocal though, the couple we got him from seemed so nice and really seemed upset to be letting him go but they were elderly and couldnt give him the attention he needed. They had a yrkshire terrier called william who they seemed to love but we now have some doubts, Charlie will yelp like a dog( the first time he did it we thought one of the dogs was hurt) now i know that they can pick up a sound after just hearing it once but you have to wonder. Also in a very angry sounding mans voice he will start shouting 'William come here you little b***'.

They do make you wonder dont they. It may be that they taught him it? I know it sounds warped but you never know. Benjie can say shut the **** up (dave taught him lol) and **** *** but he also says tons of other words.

I have sat listening in the evening when he goes into what i call waffle mode.... when it sounds like he is imitating everybody around him having a conversation. You cant make out the words but you can make out when he is doing somebody starting to talk and another one answering lol

Clever buggers they are. He whisltes and says "amber.... come and be a good girl...come on" and he does it at night.

In the morning when Im going to work he says "bye bye" when he hears me going out the door. He will never ever repeat this in his chatter and I think it is because he associates it with me going to work bless him. (before anyboy wonders dave is home 2 hours after I leave lol). :)

We have noted that Charlie seems much happier in himself now he is on a good diet and is even starting to let me clean his cage without trying to rip my face off lol, the only problem we have is that like Student1 says he will not fly. He can fly as he has done it twice but chooses to just climb all over the outside of his cage when out, he will not even fly to my son (who he loves), as he doesnt like to be handled what is the answer?

Iolo doesnt fly either. I can count on one hand the amount of times he has actually tried to fly. I dont know why, he just prefers to waddle round the floor. I honestly put it down to feeling confident in his environment, and not feeling nervous so he doesn't have to fly?