Sign in to follow this  
vikky

safe/unsafe food/and treats

i am putting together a list of safe and unsafe food items and treats that we can give to our parrots,i have made a good start but please feel free to let me know of any that you do or dont give yours........i know there are tonnes more out there i just cant think right now,so let me know and i will edit the list ..........thanks guys :wink:

*please note* pr=pips removed-sr=stone removed-f/c=fresh or cooked

f/d=fresh or dried

*SAFE*............

A........

apples

apricot(sr)(f/d)

almonds

B........

banana(f/d)

beetroot(f/c) or dried

broccoli(f/c)

blackberry

blueberries

brussel sprouts

brown rice(cooked)

bulger wheat

brazil nuts

C.......

carrot(f/c)...inc green leafy tops

courgette(f/c)

corn cob(f/c)

cauliflower(f/c)

cabbage(f/c)

cherry(sr)

celery

cucumber

cheese( only a little no more than once a week)

cashew nuts

cheerios

craberries(cooked or dried)

coconut

D.......

dates(sr)

dandelion leaves

dragon fruit

E.......

egg(a little no more than once a week)

F.......

figs

G......

guava

ginger(fresh no more than once weekly)

garlic(fresh cloves no more than once weekly)

grapefruit

green beans

goji berries

H......

I.........

J........

K.......

kiwi(skin removed)

kale

L......

lychees

lentils(cooked)

M.....

mango(sr)

mange tout

melon

macadamia nuts

N.....

nectarine

O......

orange

P......

pomegranit(inc skin)

peas(inc pods too)

peach(sr)

pumpkin(inc seeds f/c)

potatoes(cooked only)

pear

plums(sr)

peppers(fresh or dried)

pineapple(fresh or dried)

passion fruit

pine nuts

pulses(cooked)

persimmons

pistachios

pecans

palm nuts

pasta

Q.....

R....

rasberry

S....

sugar snap peas

strawberry

swede

sweet potatoe(cooked)

sugar cane

sharon fruit

T.....

turnip(cooked)

tomatoe

U.......

V.......

W.......

walnuts

wholemeal bread

X........

Y........

Z...........

*UNSAFE*

rhubarb

olives

aubergine

asparagus

chocolate

caffeine

milk

cream

butter

uncooked potatoe

mushroom

alchohol

corriander

nutmeg

avacado

onions

salt

nuts in shells(remove from shell)

*TREATS NAUGHTY AND NICE*

These lists get longer and longer as our knowledge increases. When you have your list finished vikky, how about starting a "safe treat list". We all give our birds little tastes of odd things that are not strictly recognised as part of a parrots conventional diet. The little devil's are also very good at stealing unconventional snacks ( lol )

eg: Gucci, the CAG loves ice cream soda from asda. She will move mountains just to get a taste! Ingredient-wise, the ice cream soda is water, sugar, and vanilla extract, comparatively "safe" I think.

These lists get longer and longer as our knowledge increases. When you have your list finished vikky, how about starting a "safe treat list". We all give our birds little tastes of odd things that are not strictly recognised as part of a parrots conventional diet. The little devil's are also very good at stealing unconventional snacks ( lol )

eg: Gucci, the CAG loves ice cream soda from asda. She will move mountains just to get a taste! Ingredient-wise, the ice cream soda is water, sugar, and vanilla extract, comparatively "safe" I think.

have now edited to include that now lol

:wink:

cheersm8......im afraid ive had to remove your soda from the list,ive just seen this on another site

Caffiene

Caffinated beverages such as soda, coffee, and tea are popular among people, but allowing your bird to indulge in these drinks can be extremely hazardous.

Caffeine causes cardiac malfunction in birds, and is associated with increased heartbeat, arrhythmia, hyperactivity, and cardiac arrest.

Share a healthy drink of pure fruit or vegetable juice with your bird instead, this will satisfy both your bird's tastebuds and nutritional requirements.

There is a point to be made here. Why do we feel the need to give our birds all of these bizarre foods? OK most of them are OK but, in my experience birds will live happily and healthily on a sound, basic diet. You will not find many parrot breeders feeding many of these weird and wonderful foods. I follow a basic rule.............if it's bad for me ( excess sugar, salt, fat, alcohol, chocolate etc) then my birds don't get it. I CAN eat these foods because I have the choice.......sorry, carry on.

I'm suprised about the "unsafe" perches mentioned here. http://www.avianweb.com/toxicfoods.html#toxicfood. Other sites say Apple and Plum are safe.

I thought most fruit trees were safe to use as perches.

I would like to see a list of healthy seeds. We all know sunflower seeds can be problematic. But are there any other seed types to avoid in quantity? Are there any "safe" seeds to be recommended as a reward/snack for training etc.

If this has been covered in other posts, I apologise.

cheersm8......im afraid ive had to remove your soda from the list,ive just seen this on another site

Caffiene

Caffinated beverages such as soda, coffee, and tea are popular among people, but allowing your bird to indulge in these drinks can be extremely hazardous.

Vikky,

That may be an American use of words...they use "Soda" to describe all fizzy drinks...and that includes cola which contain loads of caffeine but that doesn't necessarily mean that ALL 'soda's' contain caffeine. I've just looked at a bottle of Tesco Cream Soda ( I like it too!) which lists Vanilla Extract and Quillaia Extract, as well as Lactic Acid and various sweeteners, etc, but no caffeine.

There is a point to be made here. Why do we feel the need to give our birds all of these bizarre foods? OK most of them are OK but, in my experience birds will live happily and healthily on a sound, basic diet. You will not find many parrot breeders feeding many of these weird and wonderful foods. I follow a basic rule.............if it's bad for me ( excess sugar, salt, fat, alcohol, chocolate etc) then my birds don't get it. I CAN eat these foods because I have the choice.......sorry, carry on.

what bizzare foods on the list have you noticed david??

i agree,you probably wouldn't find most breeders giving their birds a lot of what it on that list..........is that a good point or bad point???

we too could "exsist" on a basic diet,and probably be quite healthy on it,but for me variety is the spice of life,i dont just want to feed my birds food that they need nutritionally,i want to feed my birds food that they enjoy aswell......diets are too often supplemented with lotions and potions when the benefits are readily available in their true form,many of the most common problems we see in our pet birds in my opinion are a direct link to a poor diet.........sometimes i find my self thinking,......i wonder if my birds would like that......if i have a list i can refer to i know wether it is safe to give or not............i want as many birds to be as happy and healthy as possible,and in my opinion that starts with a healthy varied balanced diet

We all try to make our birds have as comfortable and fun life as possible and strive to fill their lives with as much variety as possible whether during play, feeding, etc etc, but to the selfish little devils appreciate it? No! Ok they do make those cute little squeeks and purry noises when they are munching on something good and they love a good fight with their favourite toy but goodness me, what wastrels they are! We spend hours going around supermarkets and market stalls, buying all kinds of wonderful "good for you" fruits and vegetables and I would estimate that 60% of that carefuly diced and arranged fruit and veg bowl ends up being thrown away. That being so, I'll still continue to spend 45 minutes every morning, prepping my birds fruit and veggies, in the knowledge that I'm going to throw most away, because that is all part and parcel of parrot keeping and I wouldn't want it any other way. :)

cheersm8 - i second that - couldnt have put it better myself :D

My pets eat better than i do..............one time i was in the queue at the supermarket and a lady commented on how much healthy food i was buying........only for me to tell her that it was all for the pets and mine was the microwave meals!!!!!!! lol lol

My pets eat better than i do..............one time i was in the queue at the supermarket and a lady commented on how much healthy food i was buying........only for me to tell her that it was all for the pets and mine was the microwave meals!!!!!!! lol lol

LOLOL Elle! Thats about it to a T! :mrgreen:

:lol: i even buy a whole cooked chicken and share it out between the cats and the parrot................im lucky if i get a sandwich out of whats left!!!!! lol lol

Spoilt rotten my lot are..................but i wouldnt have it any other way :D