Sign in to follow this  
student1

Which Sub species ... ? (Eclectus)

its not easy to determine what sub-species male ekkies are, especialy the way he is at the moment, can you take a few more pics of him from the side and get some good shots of his tail in as well, it will make it easier :D

just to confuse you further, I would say he is a Vosmaeri :lol:

The red flashes to the side just under the wing are very prominant and his green colour looks quite yellowish.

In the last year have started a collection of Eclectus sub-specie, and from what I have found I think he is a Vos (see my photobucket)

Does he have odd yellow feathers round the neck and is his tail feathers having a yellow edging ?

There a very few true-bred Electus left as many breeders never bothered correctly identifying males when pairing up birds. As suggested identifying males is not easy anyway.

David,

I entirely agree and i think it is really difficult to be confident about what you are buying. And there are many young hybrids about. And I have bought individual birds believing or having been told they are one type, only to find out later that they are not :(

I also found that you need quite a library of books and photos from other breeders to show the differences. No one book appears to clearly illustrate all the variations.

However now I have pairs of what I believe is Red Sided, Vosmaeri and Grand side by side in outside aviarys where the light is good, and you can see the characteristic colour variations.

But again it depends also on age of the Eclectus and feather condition. The young Vosmaeri babies I had hatched out don't look much like the colour of their parents.

Even now I am not absolutely certain I have 100% pure sub-specie pairs, but I have gained experience and I am comitted to try to focus on this issue and hopefully encourage others to get interested.

I have only a small collection of breeding parrots and it has meant that I have needed to give up keeping a larger mix of different parrots to concentrate on this one type. But I have found that it is just as interesting.

Thanks everyone, it is interesting to know, I'll try to take some more pics soon, we've had a set back with our bonding due to combination of freaking out at fireworks and some little ***holes and a laser pen.

I'm interested to know as one day I'd like to get Diesel a "wife"