Sign in to follow this  
Mastiffmum

Chilli Peppers / Beansprouts

Well after reading on here that parrots like chilli peppers and beansprouts, bought some nice fresh crunch ones at Asda today. Do you think he would eat them? NO!

Once he 'tounged' the pepper, he promptly dropped it and when I offered him another piece, he squawked at me......... I think he was telling me off for giving him something too hot! And as for the beansprouts, well, we have a nice pattern on the bottom of his cage with them now.

It seems that he will only eat apples, pomegranite & mash at the moment, fussy little thing!

I have some chickpeas and some mixed salad beans in soak at the moment, so I will be giving these a try tomorrow. If the chickpeas don't work I will be making houmous!

Louis seems to a bit of a seed freak, devouring sunflower seeds, but is it good for him to have many of them?

Any help for this newbie would be greatly appreciated!

Guest Gwydhyel

It's not good for any parrot to have too many sunflower seeds. They soon get used to doing without them when you change to a good seed mix. As for the other things, they like one thing one week and something else the next! My Amazon took 18 months to get really into all of his veggies and sprouted seeds. Most parrots are smart enough to hold out for the things they know you will give them because you are worried they will starve to death, and ignore the really good stuff. Mine got to love all peppers, but it took a while.

I just used to offer different things every day, and eventually it worked although the wild birds got a lot of strange things as leftovers! :lol:

Guest Gwydhyel

Usually what is termed a "low waste" mix. It just means that there are lots of ingredients like hulled seeds, whereas the cheaper parrot mixes have lots of seeds in shells, and weight for weight a lot of it just ends up on the cage floor.

You will see many members here talking about the Double Dutch mixes like Nutricrunch and Vitacrunch, which were developed by consultation with the forum. I am about to try them on my two.

With the chillis, did you offer them chopped up or whole? Sometimes, mine just like them clipped onto the side of the cage so that they can chomp away at them. :lol: Just remember not to kiss Louis afterwards... :shock:

I will check out the DD website and order a couple of small packs to see how we get on. Just discovered Louis LOVES beadsticks and rice cakes, and they are very very low salt, hardly any at all, so thats another couple of choices for the list. I am cooking roast chicken, pots and veg tonight, I presume it's ok to give him a little?

Guest Gwydhyel

To be honest, I'm not sure I would encourage eating breadsticks and ricecakes. Amazons love junk food, and if they think they can get away with holding out for what they want, because they have not been raised on a healthy diet, then they will. Mine would have happily lived on Indian and Chinese takeaways, plus mashed potatoes, cheese and all sorts of other unhealthy things. But ultimately, just like us, it will shorten their lifespan.

If you restrict some things to treats, to be given occasionally, Louis will start to enjoy his healthier foods. I will give my birds about a teaspoon of curry and rice, or mash, maybe three times a week max. I always give their fresh veggies and fruit first thing when they are hungrier, and give them their seed mix later in the day. It helps to encourage them to eat better. A little bit of chicken and potato won't do any harm, as long as you don't add salt.

Charlie loves chillies it is funny when he has them though as he only eats the seeds out of them then feeds the chilli to Spike who then has to go and empty his water bowl lol

I cut the chilli peppers long ways and freddie and benjie will hold them and enjoy picking the seeds out first.

Do cut down on the sunflower. Our Freddie nearly died from eating too much of them, the oil in them coats the liver and stops it from absorbiing vitamin A.

Amazons are food junkies, but we turned his diet around quite easily and he devours all his fruit and veg (sugar snap peas are his fave... give them a whirl). Anything red/orange contains vit a so try some carrot chopped up.

Try lots of different things and you will soon find out what his favorite is.

And try DD's seed mixes, they are top class.

Bobby my TAG will only eat apples and grapes. will not touch any veg at all. He has just start to like chips and toast but only if my partner gives it him. His last owner just gave him monkey nuts and sunflower seeds. we had him just under two months and he now eating D/D premium mix.

Ozzy my sennie eats any thing and every thing. Not found one thing he dont eat.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I have tried Louis with red/yellow peppers, tomatoes, carrot (lightly steamed and raw) cabbage, courgette etc etc....... basically all the veg that we have. I gave him a little bit of Roast chicken, steamed veg and a tiny bit of the inside of a roast potato last night and he certainly seemed to enjoy it, although he spat out the carrot, again! He loved the chicken.

I will keep trying him everyday and not give him the parrot mix until the evening and see how we get on.

To be honest, I'm not sure I would encourage eating breadsticks and ricecakes. Amazons love junk food, and if they think they can get away with holding out for what they want, because they have not been raised on a healthy diet, then they will. Mine would have happily lived on Indian and Chinese takeaways, plus mashed potatoes, cheese and all sorts of other unhealthy things. But ultimately, just like us, it will shorten their lifespan.

If you restrict some things to treats, to be given occasionally, Louis will start to enjoy his healthier foods. I will give my birds about a teaspoon of curry and rice, or mash, maybe three times a week max. I always give their fresh veggies and fruit first thing when they are hungrier, and give them their seed mix later in the day. It helps to encourage them to eat better. A little bit of chicken and potato won't do any harm, as long as you don't add salt.

This reminds me so much of my own kids - my eldest was the fussiest little b---er, had me in tears with the health visitor more than once!

Would appear that parrots are the same! Oh dear! :-({|=

Well I read that grey's have intelligence of 5 year old humans, and emotional needs of 2 yr olds - yup! :?

Our CAG has "food fads", she eats a little of everything, DD and fruit 'n veg, but she develops a real fad for one particular bit, this goes on for a few days, then she changes to something else. At the moment, blueberries are "out" and dates are "in". Two weeks ago, she couldn't get enough blueberries and threw the dates across the room. banana's are permanently "in" and grapes never have been. As for apples? They are a cool food as long as I cut them into "chip shapes". To her, beansprouts are about as appetising as they look, aneamic and tasteless, but she loves salad sprouts i do myself from seed. She has now gone off her sweet potato and parsnip mash, but that OK 'cos it's delicious and means more for me! :mrgreen:

Charlie will not eat carrot in his fruit bowl but if you are cleaning carrots for our meal he will eat a chunk given him then, try to hand feed certain things he may eat them that way.