Sign in to follow this  
Mastiffmum

Mashed Potato?

Since getting Louis, an Oranged Winged Amazon and my first ever feathered friend, I have been trying to get as much information as I can. So off we went to The Parrot Sanctuary on Sunday and had a chat with one of the bods there. He told me that it is good for a parrot to have mashed potato with milk and butter in it as it gives them good fats and extra protein, but from what I have read, it is not good for them. So needless to say, I am a little confused?!

My little man loves mash, especially the insides of a potato croquette that was on my dinner plate the other day. In fact it seems he prefers anything that is not particularly good for him!

my parrot loves mashed potato he is a cag we add a little milk and butter not much and he adores it although i would think as butter has salt in it moderation but im no expert someone will come along that knows in a minute

Guest Gwydhyel

I have never known a parrot that didn't love mashed potato. I suppose it's like most things - OK in moderation. My two love indian food - a bit of rice and curry, but only a teaspoon maybe once a week. If they have a good diet the rest of the time, with a variety of fruit and veg, then a little of this should be OK.