Sign in to follow this  
beccaben

Are there any bird rescues in the Somerset area?

Hi All. My Mum has got her large aviary up and running now (if I remember correct its about 18*30 ft - very ish!!). It has a large heated indoor area and is half covered with special stuff which does not let the heat of the sun through, totally protected from wind and rain (and sun).

Mum has 4 Cockateils and would like to get some more compatable birds.

She would prefer to give a good home to rescued birds (2 of the Cockies were in a pretty bad state when Mum took them on - now much better) but cannot find details of a rescue in her area. The RSPCA do not have any birds at the moment.

Does anyone know of a rescue that Mum could contact?. She is obviously willing to be home checked and pay an adoption fee. Or does anyone in the Somerset area need to rehome a few birds??

Guest Gwydhyel

It might be a good idea for her to register an interest with the RSPCA, so that they can let her know of any birds that come in.

The set up sounds great, and it's wonderful that she is thinking of birds that need rehoming.

The 2 Cockies she bought a few days ago came from an aviary which was very overcrowded and the birds are dirty (pooey!) and plucked but have settled very well in the quarantine flight and are already clean. They are demolishing my Sunflower heads I supplied and enjoying their toys - and being able to fly without banging into other birds. (The previous owner has inherited the aviary and is evidently trying very hard to find homes for most of the birds so he is doing the right thing but he could try harder to keep the aviary clean meanwhile!!)

Guest choccyb

Sorry I dont know of any bird rescues in Somerset however good on your mum for wanting rescues rather than babies. xxx

Thank you all so much for your replies and suggestions. Mum is excellent at taking on unwanted animals and turning them around. She and Dad used to run a kennel and cattery (all the cat kennels have been turned into the aviary) and I was amazed at the number of dogs they got dumped on them, and she worked to rehome them all - or kept them herself!! She is even working a dog at the moment that she rescued at 2 yrs old and it only needs one more qualification to work Championship level - those who know about Obedience competitions will hopefully be impressed.

I am going to give her Birdline`s email (thanks Jebirds) and tell her to get her name down with the RSPCA (thanks Gwydhyel).

Ta All!!!