Sign in to follow this  
misty

aviaries v's breeding cages

I have heard alot of opinions from other breeders about if birds are better if bred in breeding cages or aviaries, I would love to hear other peoples views, what do you breed your in, I personally have a mixture of both, my breeding cages are a min of 3ft x 2ft x2ft for my smaller parrots, but Im hoping to have a large parrot room built early next year so that I can have internal aviaries, as we have had a fox problem with our outdoor aviaries hence the idea of having internal aviaries but I need advice and ideas, Im most concerned about making sure all my birds are happy and contented with their housing, and give them the best I can, all advice gratefully recieved, thanks

If I was a parrot and was offered the choice between a breeding cage or an aviary I know which one I would choose. My pairs all have indoor and outdoor aviaries as I believe to keep them healthy and happy they should be allowed to experience the changing weathers, fresh air, daylight hours etc.

I know some people swear by the use of breeding cages but these are anything but healthy for the parent birds and their health will suffer long term. They just remind me of battery hens and my heart goes out to the poor birds who have to endure years of suffering within their confines.

If you have a fox problem why not consider a concrete floor and brick foundations for the outside area. Then if you double wire the aviary and close the birds in at night you shouldn't have a problem.

Breeding cubes can produce results for the first few years (especially with Greys) but most often the results are poor after that. Why? I believe the lack of stimulation and poor quality life a bird has in a cube depresses them and so reduces their desires to breed.

My personal opinion is that cubes are an awful way to keep parrots. Aviaries or much bigger suspended flights are far more suitable and better for the birds' mental well-being.

We use large suspended cages in a semi-enclosed outside building. The cages are suspended so that the floor of the cage is at about human chest height therefore the birds are generally at eye level or above. Most parrots are healthier in the long term in outside enclosures, given protection from extreme weather, vermin etc.

The Amazon ones are on average 10-12 feet long by about 4 feet square. They are not all the same size as we got them from various sources or made them ourselves. The Pionus ones are, on average 6 feet by 3 feet square. We have been building the more recent ones ourselves so rather than suspending them they are off the ground on legs. If I get a chance I will take a photo of the parrot "building" and add it to my photobucket. We actually have a natural floor which may sound unhygienic but all the muck from the cages falls through and fertilizes the weeds which grow up through the aviaries in summer (which many birds eat!). The building is designed so that one end of the cages get rain but the other end is under cover and away from draughts. Of course we do get vermin problems now and then but I had far more problems with vermin in our old house when I had a proper purpose- built block and concrete building! I have learnt to my cost that parrots do not care what aviaries look like!

Thanks guys, Its lovely to hear all your thoughts on this topic, my new avairies at the moment are very open, they are covered on the roof , back and sides, the front is fully open except in the winter when I have clear panels to put up to give the birds protection against the weather, the ones that I have in the cages at the moment is temp as we have pulled the old avairies down as the roof was leaking badly and they were very old, and as I said we are now getting the design done for the new builds. I am leaning towards a large block building with aviaires off the front with pop holes leading inside to internal aviaries, then also inside along with heating, lighting and air purfiying system I was thinking along the back wall inside of having some internal aviaries, for the more delicate birds, can you picture what I mean?

how can I post pictures on here, as I have one of my new aviary that I built all by myself! hubby didnt help with this one :D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110186559135&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001

= Posted ImageAlways happy to shorten links (MadMudMob)

forgive my ignorance,but why would anyone want to breed birds in these ''cells''it reminds me of battery enclosures for chicken farming....the thought of 4 greys in this contraption turns my stomach.........sorry if ive offended anyone but thats how i feel,its inhumane and no one can tell me that the birds are happy in that

brought over from the wanted advert :wink: