Sign in to follow this  
Guest choccyb

The taming process - for Charlie the CAG

Guest choccyb

Just thought i would ask for some advice/help regarding Charlie my mums CAG. He is 4 yrs old and is not tame. He bites and does not like being touches at all. He will step up from the floor when he lands so he obviously realises that he can use people to get something when he wants it lol.

He is worse re biting in his cage so I think he is a little cage territorial.

I definately have him for a couple of weeks, but I anticipate that being extended to a few months and there is a slim chance that it could become permanent but that is all ifs and buts. My aim for now is to start working on taming/calming him down and would like to know how other people go about this process. I know it is a slow long term process and even if he does return home after a couple of weeks, it would be nice to be able to start the process and suggest ways for my parents to carry it on if he returns home.

Any help and suggestions most welcome. Will try to pop some pics on here when I get a chance.

Stacey xxxxx

Guest Gwydhyel

I can highly recommend MMM's gentling process. It's common sense really, but endless patience is the key! Good luck - it sounds like you're just what Charlie needs. :wink:

Guest choccyb

Well i may not have him long but it cant hurt to start the process off with him. xxxxx

Guest Gwydhyel

Well i may not have him long but it cant hurt to start the process off with him. xxxxx

Well, if it starts to work, you may get to continue it! :lol:

Guest choccyb

Have been talking to him for 30 seconds or so every time I walk past his cage and the last couple of times he has put his head down for a scritch. Have slowly gone to gently tickle him and then he lets me touch him for a second before trying to swipe my finger. Is this a good sign? I am taking it that he wants the contact but is scared and feels like he has to then protect himself and is scared to trust.

xxxx

Guest choccyb

God my mother annoys me sometimes. I texted her to say Charlie is here and she has just replied asking how she will get him back and can i bring him back in time for them getting home!!! It is an hour and a half each way and I went and picked him up already. Not even a thank you. She drives and has her own car so why the bleep bleep bleep should i take him back for her????? She works ft but you hav to run around when you have pets, thats just the way it is!!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrx xxxxx

Guest Gwydhyel

Text her back and say "Sorry, I just did the round trip to pick him up. Just let me know when you will be coming to collect him!"

Guest choccyb

I did, told her they can come get him when they get chance when not working as I not bringing him back again. You have pets, you got to be inconvenienced to make sure they cared for its the way it goes!!! xxxxx