Sign in to follow this  
vikky

advice/help needed asap.............cockatiels in a pet shop

hi guys............i have come across a tiel hen that has plucked herself all over.........she is currently in a cage with the mate she has been with for the last 2 and a half years as well as other tiels.......apparently........the pair were house pets and then moved to an aviary..........that was when she started plucking........i asked if it was the male.as they have been known to pluck their mate...........but he said no it is definately her as she has been seen doing it............so.............first question is.......what do you guys think could have made her do that,...........was it the move.....or maybe a breeding thing........as the lady didnt provide a box?............and second question......if i buy them.........is there anybody close by that would like to take them on?............he was going to just give me the plucked hen as he could sell the perfectly full feathered male.........but i would rather just buy the male and keep them together.......as i wouldnt like to think of her pining for him,and then it being too late for him to have been sold......................help please....... :(

At a guess I`d say it was the whole sequence of events starting with the move to the aviary . Giving birds extra freedom sometimes does not work -------------it may seem to be kind to do so ,but even though they have a mate of their own kind they sometimes miss their human companions !

Of course knowing the fully sequence of events as to why they were moved to the aviary in the 1st etc. would help .

Lack of nest box may well have played it`s part as well

stormbird.......the lack of nestbox is just what i was thinking............im not sure why they were moved either........to be honest

i just wanted to rush home and find them a home.......if he knows anymore than we have already talked about,ill find out when i pick them up,........i can hold them for a couple of days..but it would be less stressful if they could go shop -new home

well..............i went and got them anyway,parrotlady is to offer them a good home,so lets hope now that pipin can get settled and regrow some of her feathers.apparently she was a handreared bird and will still step up,......she does seem to be very inquisative and friendly,she readily comes to the front of the cage when you call her.........the male (with no name) is a parent reared bird and not so bothered,but he is a nice bird..she really is a beautiful little soul.i do so hope it all works out for them.anyway,ive taken a few pics

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

isnt she just adorable,she does have the sweetest face..and i do think that she will make a fabulous pet.......you can tell

she wants to be with you

Guest Gwydhyel

Oh bless her! She does have the dearest little face. Well done Vikky. Let's hope she settles down and grows her feathers back. :D

Guest Jane Doe

She is sweet :) Good thing is she still has the fluffies so in time her feathers will grow back.

Hi Vikky.

Are you sure she is plucking herself :?: as the plucked/chewed feathers seem to be on the back of her head/neck.

Her other feathers look damaged even curly.

Please be sure she does not have PBFD or Giardia.

I would have her blood tested before allowing her and her mate to mix with other birds just to be sure.

Note;- the plucked tiel on my photobucket did infact have Giardia which is a protozoa.

:(:( I have to agree with June there`s no way she could have plucked the feathers on the back of her head ---------- I`m sorry to say but it could be PBFD as the way her body feathers are is almost like French Moult in Budgies which some say is a form of PBFD

If it is PBFD (And I am not saying it is) it is not the end of the little birds life,

As long as she and her mate go into a home with no other birds and get good supportive care (good food no stress) she can live quite (up to 10 years) a long life.

It could be a number of things or nothing :D I am just pointing out that as Pauline has other birds it would be far safer to have the blood works done before Pauline has the birds.

Sadly quarantine will most likely not show any further problems.

But of cause quarantine is of the up most importance with all new birds.

as with any bird that comes into my home it will always be kept away from my birds in a seperate room,and the strictist of hygene procedures are always followed..........following the obvious concern that a few of you have shown alerting me to the fact it could be pbfd...the tiels are now in fact staying with a bird free neighbour untill the morning at least........i shall call parrotlady tomorrow and we can arrange for her to come and have a loook at the birds so i can get her opinion also........if she does feel it also to be pbfd i can make alternative arrangements for the tiels to go to a bird free forever home..........they in them selves look fine,look a good weight,eating well,healthy looking poo and no obvious signs of being unwell...i have been led to beleive that the hen has been this way for around 2 and a half years.......it is obvious that there is something wrong for the hen to be in the state it is in,and i would not wish to pass on a bird to someone that has the health of other birds already in there care to consider...they are very healthy happy little birds generally.we just need to find the right home that can get to the root cause of the lack of feathers and give them a better life...thanks guys

Guest Jane Doe

I don't know if Cockatiels can do the same things as Toos's but my feather plucked rescue Too came to me bald in odd places like the neck and back of the head. It didn 't take long to see how she was doing it, she put her leg over her head and pulled out the feathers with her foot.

Vikki, will you let me know where it came from. I am on good terms with most of the Pet shops around here and may just be able to for-stall this happening again.

Well done for getting it out of the situation. I have the test kits if Parrotlady wants a quick test done so do let her know. Far cheper than the vet.

Just a quick note which does not really apply, but different airspace in the same building will not be enough to stop the spread of PBFD. It is in part airborn and so may travel through cracks, on your clothes, hair, via your hoover etc. I am sure you get the picture.

hi june..............i have spoken with parrotlady and kris,and we have all come to the conclusion it is not pbfd,

more than likely to be chlamydia,of course the proper precautions will still have to be taken, pauline took them yesterday evening and has started them on a course of treatment so all should be well,they seem to be very happy little birdies,im sure given a couple of months and we should see a huge improvement,i will of course let you all know of any updates.thanks guys :wink:

Hi Vikky.

I don't want to contradict you but I have never heard of feather loss as being the main indication of Chlamydia. and you did not say it had breathing problems or was depressed in fact it looks very lively and quite happy to me.

Here is the symptons of Chlamydia/Psittacosis.

Psittacosis can exist as a completely asymptomatic condition or acute, systemic fatal disease. Different strains vary in virulence. The shortest incubation time is 42 days up to 1.5 years or longer. The clinical illness is caused primarily by a toxin that affects the liver and kidneys. Diarrhea and respiratory signs (unilateral conjuntivid, rales, and sinusitis) occur as well as excessive thirst.

The bird is lethargic, dehydrated, hypothermic, anoretic and puffed.

Depressed, has labored breathing, nasal and ocular discharge, and is neither eating nor vocalizing

Droppings appear watery and yellowish-green with the urates and feces intermixed. Central nervous system signs such as tremors, convulsions, paralysis and twisted neck can occur.

The disease is transmitted through the nasal secretions and the infected stool.

Once outside the body, the organism can live for a long period of time, drying into dust and infecting susceptible hosts as they breathe.

Fecal and oral contamination are especially likely in crowded conditions, as well as in nest boxes.

As a general rule, inhaled Chlamydia will cause severe disease, while ingested Chlamydia will tend to develop into carriers.

One relatively rare form of psittacosis manifests through the central nervous system; tremors, shaking, head twisting and convulsions may be the only symptoms you see. Cockatiels can develop a psittacosis syndrome that causes paralysis of the limbs, and dark, tarry stools. Additionally, cockatiels and neophemas (turquoisines, scarlet-chested parakeets) with low-grade infections may seem to have an eye disease resembling a sty.

hi june thanks for that.........whatever it is,it will be worked out eventually,it will be a case of a proccess of elimination,parrotladt has already pledged a lot of money to get this little girl back to full feather and health :wink:

WHAT ARE THE MEDICAL CAUSES FOR FEATHER PLUCKING?

1.Allergies either to food or to something inhaled. Possibilities include sunflower seeds, house mites and feather dust. Interdermal skin tests will help identify.

2. Mites ­ not very common, though everybody starts with this. Put a white sheet over the cage at night and if you see little Ograins of sand' running around in the morning, it's mites.

3. Internal parasites such as worms, protoxoa or giardia (common in cockatiels who develop an allergy to the bug).

4. Preen gland is not working.

5. Liver disease from a high fat diet. Very common in birds that are eating mainly sunflower seeds and peanuts. Symptoms green discoloration of the white bit of the faeces or undigested seed in faeces. (A good stool should have a well formed coloured bit, a white section, and a watery section.

6. Chlamydophilosis (formerly called psitticosis). This can be latent and it only emerges due to stress. Potentially fatal to humans which is another reason for going straight to an avian vet for a quick blood test.

7. Dermatitis or folliculitis ­ infections of skin or feather follicules. This may be the cause or the effect of plucking. It includes ringworm, fungal infections, and bacterial infections. Love birds get polyfolliculitis where two feathers grow from one follicule.

8. Psittacine beak and feather disease. Symptoms: black and shiny beak, black feet, fret lines along feathers, clubbed feathers in sheath, loss of crest feathers on head.

9. Septiceamia or air sacculitis infections. Hypothyroidism leads to loss of feathers, rather than plucking,

10. Other medical possibilities ­ tumours or cancers, pain, rickets and arthritic pain, cysts.