Sign in to follow this  
sparkkwing

Advice about my new baby CAG please

:D Brought home my new baby yesterday who will be 12 weeks on Wednesday. She was being fed a basic parrot seed mix and fruit etc. I want to give her the best and find myself with all the anxieties of a first time mum as to what is best to give her, especially at this tender age. How much should I expect her to eat quantity wise as well.

Also pellets versus parrot mixes?

Oh I am glad you are back 'on air'! =D>

I prefer to feed a good quality seed mix rather than pellets. If you choose one like DD or whitte molten.

On top of their seed I feed cooked pulses, sprouted seed, tropical soak, fresh fruit, fresh veg, cooked veg, pasta, wholegrain rice, scrambled egg, jacket potato etc.

When they are young they usually enjoy a warm feed of things like boiled sweet potato with carrot, brocalli, butternut squash (practically any veg) mashed and fed from a spoon. Also things like readybreak (porridge) made with water and a little touch of honey, warm mashed banana, stewed fruit etc etc.

I use Witte Molen, and it's a very good seed mix, low on sunflower which is always good. Aside from that as a baby introduce him to as many new foods as you can whilst he young, in different ways so He gets used to a variety of things. Pellets are OK, but if I feed them, I mix them in with the seed so they get a choice of whether to eat them or not. I dont like Harrisons because it lacks variety, and this is what I personally believe makes a happy bird.

From what I can seem to make out, seed mixes are preferred by most of you (and parrots presumambly), and note that shelled peanuts are cause for concern. I had bought some from Tescos (for humans), are they ok to give occasionally? So far she has tried everything offered (and some that was not ha ha! - the look on my daughter's face when she realised there was a parrot 'begging' her for some of her baked potato and cheese - of which she was given a little of the potato and tiniest amount of cheese).

So I am off to get some DD or Witte Molen (hoping they are stocked in nearby garden centre where I can check out larger cages too) - and maybe a small quantity of good pellet food to mix in occasionally - oh yes, and to stop off at greengrocers! And maybe an overall or two, at least a top with green and white swirly patterns ha ha!

Thanks all, as you say MMM, she is still such a baby - and I welcome all advice to make sure she gets all she needs.

Learning curve now going off the scale!

I use Witte Molen, and it's a very good seed mix, low on sunflower which is always good. Aside from that as a baby introduce him to as many new foods as you can whilst he young, in different ways so He gets used to a variety of things. Pellets are OK, but if I feed them, I mix them in with the seed so they get a choice of whether to eat them or not. I dont like Harrisons because it lacks variety, and this is what I personally believe makes a happy bird.

All birds are different, of course, and others have said about the lack of variety in Harrisons, but Merlin can't get enough of them!

We had him on a "quality" seed and dried fruit mix, but when he was poorly a while back, we converted him to Harrisons to ensure that he really was getting all he needed nutritionally. However because we were then a bit concerned that it was rather boring, we tried him with Zupreem, since a number of people on here seem to swear by it. He will eat it given no other choice, but definately prefers Harrisons. Within the Zupreem he always eats them in the same colour order - orange and yellow first, then green, much of which goes on the floor, but he flatly refuses to eat the little square white ones at any price.

I just tried a little experiment.,. approx the same amount each of Harrisons, Zupreem and his old seed and fruit mix, all in the same pot and mixed up, for his tea...

His first choice was a piece of dried banana, followed by a couple of seeds, a nut, more seeds until he couldn't find any more, then straight on to the Harrisons. Then Susie put in a piece of home made bacon and pepper quiche, at which point he forgot about everything else!!

So, maybe Harrisons aren't quite so boring to a bird as they seem to be to us.

Guest linds

I prefer to feed a good quality seed mix rather than pellets. If you choose one like DD or whitte molten.

On top of their seed I feed cooked pulses, sprouted seed, tropical soak, fresh fruit, fresh veg, cooked veg, pasta, wholegrain rice, scrambled egg, jacket potato etc.

When they are young they usually enjoy a warm feed of things like boiled sweet potato with carrot, brocalli, butternut squash (practically any veg) mashed and fed from a spoon. Also things like readybreak (porridge) made with water and a little touch of honey, warm mashed banana, stewed fruit etc etc.

this is pretty much me too, I switched to DD low waste mix after feeding zupreem pellets with the usual veg etc. I still add some pellets to their DD mix but find they like this more as there is more variety for them. Don't think i'd change now with the difference i've noticed. I give my 2 natural zupreem pellets, I started when they were young so they got used to foods quickly.

For dinners aside from their ,mix I make a variety of things from chicken, brown rice, chilli and mango ( a fave), or maybe beef or lamb, broccoli, sweetcorn and carrot, or fish, pulses, you get the idea lol. They have omlettes for breakfast, boiled egg (all with shell, good for them). I sometimes mix their ready break with smoothie and warm it then feed with a spoon still, they love this.

Like us birds all have their own tastes and what 1 likes the other doesn't, it's just trial and error lol. My 2 for being eclectus don't have a big love of fruit and this species are well known for their love of fruit, my 2 are weird tho lol

This is going to possibly sound silly but how exactly, do you cook the food Linds, and all you other parroty chefs? Omlettes for example - yummy and I like mine with mushrooms gently cooked in butter and oodles of tasty cheese, but I don't think that is quite what you mean for a parrot, is it? Also mashed veg, what with, just water? As P and S say, its the homemade bacon quiche that wins the day and I was amazed when Willow launched herself at my daughter's baked spud and cheese yesterday, as if it was the most natural african grey food imaginable. So I take it that they are no better than us for loving junk food, if they get half a chance?

Right, assuming a healthy diet is eaten, what would be an example of a 'normal' day foodwise for a healthy young CAG, and approximate amounts (per desert spoon maybe)?

Any special parrot recipes?

Guest linds

If they are having meat it is never cooked with oil, it's not good for them. Jaffa tends to love his beef if I boil it, absolutely loves it, but if it's oven cooked or just dry fried he takes it or leaves it, so of course being a spoilt little monster he gets it boiled every time.

chicken drumsticks are always in the oven, they eat chilli when we get it but theirs is made in a seperate pan so I know exactly what's going into theirs is fresh tomato, fresh chilli, peppers etc. omelettes are just cooked in a pan and again i'll maybe add cheese, peppers, etc

you can also spend some time cooking a few dinners and freezing them if you want.

don't get me wrong they're not fed this way every day lol, they're spoilt but not every single night. Just remember to do the same cos' once they get used to being spoilt that's you forever lol

Are these foods (DD etc,) readily available, or need to be bought off the net? Cadbury Garden Centre certainly didn't stock any of those suggested? Also, which vitamin mix should I use ie. best for such a young grey?

I cook our veg without salt - we add salt to ours if we like. My two love warm veggies mashed up - veggies in chunks aren't so popular. Roasted veggies go down well too. A bit of cheese is good, butter is a no no really.... :oops: but they are partial to a bit of toast with the tiniest smear on! An occasional chip goes down well too!

Willow seems keen to try anything at the moment and hates not being included for meals, squeaks in a begging sort of way! And that seems to go for drinks as well, though more cautious after nearly scalding herself (within minutes of first coming home - my heart was in my mouth) Images of scalded crops etc floated infront of me. How many 'lives' do parrots have? ha ha!

Thanks for the info on buying DD, Little Als Mum, will put in an order - cor its looks quite scrummy actually!