Sign in to follow this  
Guest choccyb

New addition - Charlie

Guest choccyb

Am going to Andover tomorrow morning to collect Charlie who is my mums 4 yr old CAG. Mum and Dad flew off to Mexico on Saturday leaving Charlie with my sister who has a 5 month old baby and lives in a 2 bed 2nd floor flat. Charlie is not the quietest bird in the world and is making life very hard trying to get my niece to sleep and is waking her up throughout the day meaning she is horrible and grumpy at bed time and then wont sleep properly.

To cut a long story short, I have been asked to go and get him and look after him until Mum and Dad get back. Luckily I have a spare cage as I cant get Charlies cage in my car. This is going to be an interesting experience as I must admit I am nervous of him. He is not hand tame and does not like most people. He is grumpy and bites with intention. Getting him into the cat box will be challenge number one. Getting him out at this end will be challenge number 2. Not worried about the noise as my 2 are not exactly quiet themselves. Good job I now have understanding neighbours!!!!

Will post an update when I get back with him in the morning on how many fingers I have had removed and how long it took me to transfer him at both ends!!!!

All i can say is it is a good job I am able to go and get him and that my sister has someone she can call on to take him or she would have a nightmare 2 weeks with a screaming tired baby and a parrot who doesnt stop talking!!!

Wish me luck!! xxxxx

Guest choccyb

Shouldnt say this as my my mum might read when she gets back lol but am a little worried that he may end up staying with me for longer than the 2 weeks they are on holiday. Mum and dad both work FT and dad was on shifts when they got charlie about 2 years ago so someone was in most of the time as well as my brother still living at home. Dad has now come off shifts and back on mon to fri long days so he is alone for most of the day with only a dog and 3 cats for company. Being not tame at all, and mum not having the time to spend with him to tame him and work with him slowly, mum does not really have the bond with him she wanted. And he does not like my mum lol he bites her quite a lot. He will allow my sister to tickle his head but not my mum whose parrot he really is. She gets quite annoyed and impatient with this and was seriously considering selling him to someone who has the time to spend to work with him on getting him more tame and people friendly a while back but it hasnt been mentioned for a while. Am a little worried that once they know he is here, their making arrangements to have him collected may take some time and he may end up staying. Am not looking to add to my parrots as anyone who has more than one knows, they take up a lot of time and energy compared to having one bird. I love my 2 and wouldnt turn charlie away as i believe he would be better with me than mum and dad as I dont work. However it is fitting in another cage and if i am not careful my house will b more cage than house lol. It may not come to it but if it does, then fingers crossed I can work with him a bit even if it means finding him that perfect home if I think I cant manage 3 parrots. If mum does take him back I am going to try to persuade her to rehome him as he needs time spent on him and they cant give him what he needs imo. She is going to totally kill me if she reads this but if it makes her reaslise its in charlies best interest then its worth it. xxxxxx

I know what you mean about more cage than house, I have no room whatsoever for anymore, but would feel the same as you. At least your aware of what MAY happen so can prepare yourself for it.

I used to feel like your mum over my Pixie at times. But the feelings always pass very quickly when she does something nice lol

Good luck!

What will be will be! Dont fight it. If he;s meant to stay with you then he will. I've found nearly all of my birds have drifted into my life one way or another. Yes I have a house full, and a room full of cages, but I wouldnt change a single thing about it.!

Guest choccyb

True, if he stays he stays and we will make the best of it and squeeze him in somewhere, altho my partner phil will no doubt be less than impressed he he he. Oh well, what can i do. I am kind of hoping in a naughty way that he does end up staying so that even if i really cant manage with the 3 of them, I can find him someone who will take care of him and put in the time he needs putting into training and taming. He was hand reared originally but the original owners and my mum and dad have not put in the effort and continuous handling required to keep him tame.

Will keep you all posted. They not back for a couple of weeks so will assume he just on hols until they get back and see what happens from there.

Will give me a good taste of coping with the 3 of them before any decisions need to be made anyway.

xxxxx

Good luck tomorrow hun. Dont forget something here too, Charlie is only 4.. So still a baby and plenty of time to tame him back down ;)

You will be fine with 3 of them, just take some furniture out :oops:

I am sure it will work out Choccyb, my Charlie is exactly the same with me lol but i live in hopes that one day he will at least tolerate me

Thats the spirit sue :)

Good luck with Charlie, however it goes :)

I do not think that you have said anything wrong Choccyb, you have merely stated what the situation is, that is all. You are looking for support and advice with what could be a delicate situation, what many people come here for. And all I can see is that you are looking out for Charlies best interests as a more knowledgeable parrot lover, and you have the difficulty of trying to do this with close family members. not some detached stranger.

It is sad circumstances with the job changes etc, that you parents don't have the time, or the experience? to do more for Charlie, even though they may be very fond of him. And certainly unfair long term on Charlie.

If Choccyb's mum read this...Don't be mad with Choccy. :)

Guest choccyb

Thanks rubytoo, I am hoping she wont read this lol as she WILL kill me!!! I think the reasoning behind them getting a parrot was that it seemed like a fun idea at the time grrrrrrr. Was my mums idea and my dad was not keen and never has been. Anyway have texted mum (god knows how much that will be to mexico!!!) and told her I now have Charlie.

Dropped my daughter off this morning to school and went straight over to get Charlie from Andover (1hr and 30 each way). Initially the plan was to leave the cage open and when he got to the floor as he normally does, pick him up from there at the risk of getting bitten, some people can manage to get him to step up onto your hand from the floor. He must realise that he is being helped in that situation. Typically, he refused to come out of his cage this time so I decided to try a perch but he went nuts and started flapping around his cage getting distressed trying to bite me at any opportunity he got. I avoided any bites as I am a wimp and managed to get him to fly out of his cage. He was clipped before mum got him and his wings are mostly grown back now but he is not a strong flier. Eventually after a few attempts i got him on my hand without getting bitten and managed (no idea how!!!) to get him into the cat box. Think he was so narked at me by this point that he went in without a struggle!!! We set straight off to home with him strapped on the front seat next to me and he clung to the door the whole journey. Got home, and popped the cat box in the bottom of Mangos old large cage (disinfected) and took off the lid. Charlie raced up to the top of the cage quick as he could and watched mango and rocky with interest altho he was very quiet. He spent the first couple of hours handing on the side of the cage so I put my hand in to get him to move so he realised where the food bowl and a perch were. He is now munching away which I think is a good sign, he is relaxed enough to eat. He hasnt really talked yet or made lot of noise but he is in strange place so have half covered cage so he more secure and will leave him in the cage for first couple of days so he gets his bearings.

Mango has been showing off non stop even tho they are opposite ends of the room and wont stop saying hello hanging upside down. Rocky couldnt care less I dont think.

Re getting rid of furniture, you are not kidding. I am gonna have to put a chair in the garage or bedroom or somewhere out of the front room, i just cannot fit a double cage and a big single cage in my front room as well as a sofa and 2 chairs and the stairs!!!!!

Am thinking that I will try to keep him here as long as I can to make mum realise that he better off out of her house. They have their house up for sale so gonna suggest that he stays here at least till they sold up and moved (no offers yet so will be a long while) so he not up heaved again my moving back through all the packing etc and then into another house. After that time which could be months and months, they may decide he better off staying put permanently.

Will keep you posted on how he getting on. He has just this minute started whistling at me.

Stacey xxxxxxxx