Sign in to follow this  
sharongooner

computer switching itself off

Question

Its happened to billy four times today. Every time he went on the net, about 20 minutes or so after the computer would just go off!

Ive been on for about 10 minutes, no probs yet. What could it indicate? Ive checked for loose wires, all plugs are in correctly. Is there anywhere on the system I can check for a problem?

I'll be really frustrated if its a major problem :twisted:

17 answers to this question

Hi Hayley, it just goes off, no warning. Its a bit like a power cut. Im just worried I may lose all my stuff if it keeps happening. I think its definately a problem coming from the power supply rather than the system, but dont really know what to do!

So far its happened when Billy was on the net. Earlier it was on for about 3 hours and none of us were on it and it stayed on.

it sounds like your sever ie internet explorer, if it turns of and goes blank and then reboots it self,or turns of and comes up with a blue screen then the imformation on the blue screen would be a big help

with it just going down when you are on the internet makes me think that it is your net!

you could try doing spyware ie norton etc see if that comes up with anything if not i would re do your server ie go to firefox or somthing like it dont worry it is easy to do!

mine did that a while ago, got worse and worse, I googled for anwers but couldn't find one. I did find a trojan locked away in my restore folder, removed that but it didn't help. I got fed up looking for an answer in the finish and just re-installed windows and started over. I'm 99% sure that it is caused by one of those tricky "downloader" things that are getting so sophisticated and put themselves onto your puter when u visit sites and then hide in the boot sector. Your puter shuts off because you are already connected to the net and the rogue downloader tries to connect to it's server.

The mechanical reason for a computer shutting down is more than likely a heat problem. processor over heating or thinking it is over heating due to a faulty switch. Dust can cause this.

Thanks. Ive been on for over 30 minutes now with no problem. Im wondering if it was to do with the site that Billy was going on.......... Runescape. He was on there each time it happened.

I'll moniter it and do a scan later before I go to bed, see if I can find anything.

Cheers cheersm8

No, that doesnt ring any bells with me, but interesting though Stormy!

Ive been on for an hour now, no probs whatsoever.

Could a website really have the ability to shut your system down with no warning, because Im pretty convinced thats what happened as i said Ive been here for an hour now. Wierd???

The mechanical reason for a computer shutting down is more than likely a heat problem. processor over heating or thinking it is over heating due to a faulty switch. Dust can cause this.

I had this problem with my lap top a few months ago.

It always happened while I was trying to watch a video clip, and turned out to be an overheating problem.

I solved it by putting a length of 1cm thick wood under the far side of the laptop, to raise that side up, so it now sits at a slight angle and gets far more ventilation underneath.

Ive been on for four uninterrupted hours now. Im starting to think it must have been the site billy was using.

I will ask him to check in the morning, he goes on at 6.30/7 before school. If it does it again I will know its that.

Ive been running various scans tonight, hence why I have not been here. Found some adware, didnt appear to be too serious. Then I ran another scan for spyware and low and behold it just switched off midway through.

So I left it off, pulled it all out and unplugged and re-plugged it all back in.

Earlier today, windows wouldnt load at least 3 times. Im buggered if I know whats up with it, but its strangely inconsistant and a pain in the butt!

If it shut down while you were checking for spy ware it could indicate that you`ve got a nasty embedded in your system and it`s protecting itself or that your computer is shutting down to protect itself against overheating -------- that can occur if you`ve too many systems running at once and the cumuter power suply is not sufficient

When you say too many systems running at once what does that mean exactly.... Ive a firewall, and antivirus and anti spyware, then other scanner options that are triggered by me and not actually running. The last prob I had could have been down to having two firewalls so I understand that. Is that what you mean?

Just to add since the unplugging so far so good but Ive yet to complete that other scan. Dont know if I will do it tonight now. Im hitting that zone where you've had enough of scans lol!

Well Im still switched on. Perhaps the unplugging and re-plugging may have helped.

TBH.. Ive not used any of my disks dvd or otherwise for a good few months.

Lets see what happens, will keep you posted. Cheers xx