Sign in to follow this  
kerenza

Vet trip

I just booked Sage in to see Brian Stockdale next weds. His claws need trimming and his beak also looks long compared to pictures i've seen of others. Not sure what i expected but she said he would need gas to do his beak, i hate it when my dogs have to have it let alone a bird! I'm fretting already and there's 5 days to go!

On the positive side, will it make his nipping less painful if he hasn't got so much beak <gg> i live in hope!

I have often had my Eclectus beaks trimmed with no use of gas. Please don't risk his life.... Athena stopped breeding when gased for a microchip fitting andluckily the vet brought her back to life by shoving a tube down her throat. Martin Lawton in Romford and Chris Hall in London have both drilled the beaks short with no gas. Find a vet that won't use gas.

If the bird is intubated when its aneasthatised there should be very little risk. I think some vets prefer to use a light aneasthetic to prevent the bird getting too stressed from the noise and sensation of having their beak trimmed using (usually) a very noisy piece of kit.

Harry had was aneasthetised yesterday and was fine.

Hi Net, i was thinking about you and wondering how you'd got on. The nurse did say it was a light anaesthetic while they worked on his beak. I'm hoping that his beak isn't too long but it does curve round a fair way.

Guest Jane Doe

No gas, I'v had two birds aneasatised and I'v lost both of them to aneasetic. I have a cockatiel that needs beak trims, the vet wants to put give him a wiff of gas next time so he can dremmel it but he can $^^ off because I'm not having it. Last time he cut it too short and it bled so he had to put pottasium on it, I'd rather that or go more often than lose another bird, aneasetic, only for life or death situations.

is there no way you can give sage a cement perch for his claws and lots of wooden toys and cuttlefish to chew on for his beak?....or are they too far gone for that.......if that is the case,i would refuse the use of gas unless it was a life or death situation....its just too risky,even perfectly healthy birds are very much at risk.....i would add lots of things to chew on and a cement perch though for future use.....what you save on the vet visit would pay for them :wink: .............good luck with sage anyway :wink:

I'll give them a ring if my vet refuses Brooke, i don't mind travelling and both birds seem to enjoy a trip in the car lol.

He has a cement perch Vikky, also 3 various sized pedi perches plus natural branches. There's heaps of wooden foot and hanging toys which he has a good chew on now and again, i don't understand why his claws grow so fast :-/

They aren't too bad at the moment but i was going to get them trimmed while they did his beak, saves our fingers lol. When we rescued him they were terribly overgrown, it's been a case of taking small bits off at a time.

Ohhh and his biggest toy.... my new pine coffee table which has ekkie shaped pieces taken out now :roll:

:shock:

It must be an Ekkie thing - Pharrell has took chunks out of my wooden blinds :shock: (and a chunk out of my hand the other week!!! :shock: )

Pharrells beak seems to be ok but his nails do grow long. Ive only had to cut them once and that was a few months back.

aneasetic, only for life or death situations.

Whilest having seen deaths & near misses occur due to anaesthetics (including humans) I would say that the above scenario increases the possibility of death due to anaesthetic . However not all deaths under anaesthetic are due to it ,although it may contribute to the death but that in part may be caused by the reason for the patient being ill (bird or human). However the majority of anaesthetics are given without any problem . Oh and all the birds I`ve lost under anaesthetic have been from other causes

Incidently those of you contemplating having a child birth by a routine Cesarean might want to ponder the fact that there are several deaths every year due to anaesthetic problems :shock: However I should also comment that the risk to those needing an emergency one is no higher than with any other emergency procedure ------------ so don`t be put off by my comments if you need an emergency Cesarean go for it it`s more likely to save life than not and be guided by the Anaethetist :wink:

I keep looking at Pharrells beak and comparing it to Sages. Hmm i have chunks missing from my hand too, i thought ekkies were meant to be placid and gentle lol. Sage really knows how to throw a strop, he struts round the floor really stamping his feet! The dogs all dive on the sofa and my feet come up too, Daz is the only 1 who is safe.

I've tried all the distraction techniques but it makes him worse. If you try to get his attention with a toy he gets even angrier, we've found ignoring him calms him down the quickest. Someone said if their beak goes very red that it's hormones, his beak is definitely more red than orange just now, maybe he needs a female....

Ekkies placid and gentle! lol - if only - my one is a little terror!

I think Pharrell's beak is shorter because he is still a baby - hes only 11 months old. Also, ive noticed when searching the web that older Ekkies do seem to have longer beaks. Another think im thinking is that maybe the different type of Ekkies have slightly different beak shapes cos im sure SI Ekkies beaks look longer in pics :? i might be wrong though - im just guessing.

Pharrell throws strops aswell :roll: If you dont give him undivided attention he will pretend to kiss you on the cheek and give you a pinch instead............and boy do those pinches hurt!!! :shock:

When out of his cage Pharrell likes to be involved in everything. I spend half my time hoovering & tidying up etc simply cos he loves to hang off my t-shirt whilst im doing the washing and walking around the house. If i just sit with him on my arm or lap thats when he nips. So i can never rest with him!!! lol

He terrorises the cats aswell. He chases after them cos he wants to play but they are scared stiff and run off. He nicks all their toys and loves nothing more than chucking their balls all around the living room floor, with the cats watching at a safe distance :roll:

With regards to the red beak, Pharrells is red at the top. I was told that the redder it is the better as it means hes getting a good diet. I doubt very much if its hormones with Pharrell yet :?

When Pharrell gets really nippy i take him in the bedroom to look out the window and he calms down immediately :D

Oh and he loves nothing more than chucking things about!!! His favourite thing to do is sit on his playstand...............wait for the cats to walk past................and then drop his wooden blocks on them!!!!! :roll: :roll:

Guest Jane Doe

I'v been reading up on beak trimming lately as it affects one of my cockies, it seems that unless there is a medical/health reason a normal bird shouldn't need a beak trim, the beak should be worn down naturally through everyday use. When I first got my OW Amazon I thought he needed a beak trim because his beak looked massive but when I took him to the avain vet he said it was fine, I realise it was, they tend to have larger beaks than some other Amazons :roll: Even if you have some trimmed I bet it will still hurt if he bites! Maybe cancel the vet appointment and just buy some nail trimmers from vetark for the claws, if your'e worried you may take too much off then invest in a quartery unit as well.

http://www.noahs-cupboard.co.uk/listing.asp?catno=8

I'v been reading up on beak trimming lately as it affects one of my cockies, it seems that unless there is a medical/health reason a normal bird shouldn't need a beak trim, the beak should be worn down naturally through everyday use. When I first got my OW Amazon I thought he needed a beak trim because his beak looked massive but when I took him to the avain vet he said it was fine, I realise it was, they tend to have larger beaks than some other Amazons :roll: Even if you have some trimmed I bet it will still hurt if he bites! Maybe cancel the vet appointment and just buy some nail trimmers from vetark for the claws, if your'e worried you may take too much off then invest in a quartery unit as well.

http://www.noahs-cupboard.co.uk/listing.asp?catno=8

Yep, freddies sticks out a lot too. But seems to shed bits year after year with no problems (Freddie is an OW too)

Jane......... I never knew you had so many birds lol..... you always kept your cards close to your chest you!

Share with me what you have........ Im not just being nosy, but you like Jebirds and others on here have a fountain of knowledge to share :)

Kloepatra said that Sage's beak doesn't look much longer than her ekkies so i am probably worrying for nothing. I have the proper nail cutters and take just a bit and then file them. I just thought if his beak needed doing then i'd ask them to do his claws while he was there.

I'll take him to put my mind at rest, a check over won't hurt him anyway :-)

Oh i know nothing is going to stop his beak hurting lol, he doesn't break the skin all the time but man he gives a hell of a bruise!

Guest Jane Doe

I'm no fountain of knowledge, :oops: you just learn as you go along, through good experiences and bad. I stick my two penneth in when I can. :)

for an ekkie i woulndt say that was too long.......not that i know too much about them,but dont they have long beaks anyway,id say that was fine,might be wrong though