Sign in to follow this  
sparkkwing

Cage advice please.

:roll: :?: :?: :?: Have just been looking at parrot cages and am quite confused as to which is best. (Did buy a cheap one as a temporary cage for Percy the escapee but don't feel it is big enough). So thought the best thing would be to get suggestions from the parrot's mouth! :lol:

I dare say MMM will find me lots of threads to peruse! :lol:

So what would people/parrots suggest for a good size cage for an african grey? Also a play stand for when I am in a different room (not that there are many rooms to be in). The parrot would be out in the living room (which is two rooms knocked into one with a sliding partition door) most of the time and my partner is talking about building an outside area adjoining french windows, for better weather days. Obviously will do some research into that first but he is brilliant at making things like that.

So Guys - what cages have you found good and liked by the birds? Money is not the prime consideration as I want to do thid right! #-o =D>

I dont like mine. The swing feeders are too easy for my amazon to open and escape from. Cant remember the name of them... got the three of them for under £300, but the locks have fallen off and they are not really as well made as I would like to think. Not for big clever birds anyway!

There are piccys on my bucket somewhere :)

i tend not to go for any with swing feeders as we have had a whole variety of diff birds escape!! what we look for is space and whether you can fix things (perches toys bowls etc) to the sides as we have had some in thepast that by the time you have attatched things there is no space left

Guest Gwydhyel

Every time I have bought a cage, I have changed my mind about it within a few days, and ended up buying another one.

So - my suggestions (from costly experience)!

1. Most people agree that you should buy the largest cage you can afford, so that if the parrot has to spend time in his cage he has room to play. It should also allow him to spread his wings comfortably. People say "oh, he will spend more the out of the cage than in", but even with the best intentions, there will be times when this is not possible. Don't forget that once you have fitted extra natural wood perches and lots of toys, the space will be smaller.

2. Try to visit a store where they have a selection of cages, so that you can see the actual sizes and work out where they would fit into your space. There's nothing worse than fitting a large cage into an alcove, or corner, and then finding you can't get to all of the feeders, or empty the litter tray, or even clean it properly without moving furniture.

3. Decide in advance whether you will want to wheel the cage around the house, or outside during warm weather. I did buy a cage a few years ago that was lovely, but I couldn't fit it through my doors when it was assembled.

4. Most of the large cages are really heavy, so make sure you choose one with good quality castors and a brake.

5. Most of the larger parrots can easily disassemble their cage if any of the bolts/nuts are on the inside.

6. Feeders you can access from outside the cage are really useful, but look for a cage with bolts on the feeder doors, rather than the swing discs that most of them have. I have the swing disc type, and they are really annoying.

7. Get the right size bar spacing, and make sure that at least two sides of the cage have horizontal bars for climbing.

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for, so if something looks like a real bargain make sure it has all of the safety features you need. Obviously, you need to make sure it is lead free paint and zinc free safety catches etc.

I hope this helps! :D

well,i think the above post covered most of what i would have said........the only thing i could add to that is make sure it has mostly if not all horizontal bars,most birds especially greys love climbing around their cage,with the vertical bars its very hard for them to do that and can hurt their feet............but like has already been said,as big as space will allow the better

What about a gym area on top - any thoughts about that? I assume to mention any actual makes (good or bad ones) is advertising - maybe it is possible to pm me about strong feelings for or against various types? I understand round ones are out of the question - what about corner types?

Thanks all - keep your thoughts and suggestions coming.

Don't think I can add much to the advice already given.

I've not experienced a corner or play top cage.

Have you seen this yet?

SOME CONSIDERATIONS ABOUT WHAT CAGE TO BUY - HOW BIG ETC:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/11532-some-suggestions-about-what-cage-to-buy-how-big-etc/

from the INFORMATION section: https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/

Only Freddie actually uses the gym top on his. Benjie just flies from one to the other so they are just landing posts. Ive put treats and stuff in but they are still very underused and this was one of the selling points that got me interested in these cages in the first place!

Other people may have differing opinions of the gyms though.

We looked at cages with a playtop - I think they make the cage dark though. Plus if you want to cover your bird its harder with a playtop.

Yep... we play lets jump up and down covering the cages every night lol :lol: