Sign in to follow this  
elle

Help needed - bleeding - seems ok today

OMG - ive had Pharrell out of the cage all evening. Just went to put some food stuff in his cage and noticed red stuff everywhere. At first i thought it was the strawberries he was eating.................but on closer inspection theres blood EVERYWHERE, all on his perches and on the newspaper in the bottom tray.

It must have happened way earlier as there was no sign of blood on me whilst hes been sitting on my arm etc this evening.

I cleaned his feet up and it looks like hes broken at bit off the end of one of his nails.

Now im panicking as i know that they can loose alot of blood like this. After i'd cleaned it up it started to drip again :cry:

What should i do as i dont have any of that stuff thats meant to stop the bleeding!!! :?

Im really worried :cry:

No :oops: thats the stuff that i was trying to say i havent got but couldnt remember the name of it in the panic.

I think its stopped bleeding now but think it might be sore cos he keeps lifting it up and tucking it up.

If it's stopped bleeding I would just leave it alone to clot. It will be sore for him, I would just give him a warm quiet night. I've used just ordinary flower before when I haven't had any cornflower to hand and it's done the trick.

its stopped bleeding - it only started again before cos i cleaned his foot with water to see where it was coming from, so it should be ok re bleeding (i hope so anyway)

I think its sore for him cos he keeps standing on his good leg and at this moment he's sitting on my shoulder preening.

Im just shocked at how much blood there was in his cage :shock:

I will go out tomorrow and buy some cornflower - ](*,) am angry with myself now for not getting some before.

Its definately his nail that its come from as i can see the tip has broken off and looks abit jagged.

it said on the link that Little Als mum gave that you can use a bar of soap or clear nail varnish. I do have both of those if it bleeds again.

I just gonna clear all the mess up and put him to bed as if it bleeds again i'll be able to see.

it said on the link that Little Als mum gave that you can use a bar of soap or clear nail varnish. I do have both of those if it bleeds again.

Soap I knew about but nail varnish I thought would be a no no ??

Thats what i thought Paulie - i thought clear nail polish would be bad cos of the smell etc.

I have got a bar of soap incase it starts again. Hes in his cage now so he should settle for the night. I'll keep an eye on him.

It just scared the life out of me and i panicked :oops:

Im just worried now how he managed to do it in the first place :?

Thanks everyone for responding so quickly :D

I really appreciate it.

I suppose nail varnish has to be safe for us and babies to eat so Im presuming that is why it is safe for this?

:shock: Nail varnish is solvent based so I would be loathed to use it,but just my opinion, I dont know the facts

A lot of things are safe for us but not for the birds.

Elle, Im sure he will be feeling much better in the morning, just keep him warm.

Well i put him to bed and he's obviously feeling better cos hes doing his acrobats and hanging upside down in his cage and using his bad foot.

He does the acrobats when he doesnt want to go to bed yet!!!

i even turned the lights out so what does he do................starts ringing his bell and saying 'awww, awww'!! lol lol

It really gave me a scare tonight and i was so worried............now ive got one of those stress knots in my shoulder blade!!! lol lol

Gawd......i feel drained......im gonna go to bed now!

Well imo its bad advice.......nail varnish fumes are toxic and putting this on a bird that is stressed already with the injury you are treating it for imo cant be good.............what happens if you apply it and the bird struggles/panics and ends up with the stuff everywere?.........no offence but i get visions in my head of someone holding a bird whilst another applies this stuff.brush in one hand bottle in the other ...........and whooops its all over the bird.....when this stuff dries it cant be good injested? the bird is bound to pick at it........just doesnt seem sound advice to give people possibly inexperienced people too

I agree and think the best thing is for me to add to the article pointing out that we don't recommend using nail varnish.

I think it would work just as I used to use superglue on any cuts in the pad of a dog paw to seal the wound (which are notoriously hard to get to heal as they open each time the dog stands on the foot) ..... my Vet showed me that and said the poshly named surgical glue they use is really just superglue.

But, with such delicate creatures as parrots I think the risk of spilling nail varnish all over feathers etc is too much

yes i agree.......ive seen animals treated with this b4...ive seen the glue method too....dogs tortoise shells ive even seen fiber glass used but on animals that are far less delicate and far less flighty if you know what i mean